PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent Check Cashing, Breaking into Storage Lockers, Etc

DrinkofWtr
01-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Recently, I had a check that was fraudulently endorsed and cashed in my name, possibly stolen from my mailbox. Cars and storage lockers have been broken into and God only knows what other dispeccable things have been happening in my neighborhood.

A word to the wise. The way this economy has been going, please be aware of the thieves out there and protect yourselves, your identity and your valuables, as best you can.

sits_inthe_corner
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Awww hugs to ya DrinkofWtr

What an awful feeling that leaves behind for you to deal with.

Last weekend my husband and I went out to diner, when we came home we found that our second hand snow blower was stolen.

There was big snow storm due the next day, so I dragged him out with the credit card and be bought a brand new snowblower and several serious locking systems for the shed.

So far they have NOT come back for the new snowblower, but I expect it's just a matter of time.

What really irritates me is....we immediatly went and informed our neighbors of the break in.

Guess what....the next to us had been broken into and ran sacked, and they never said a word!!!!!!!!!

This used to be a very tight neighborhood, we watched each other's properties (stuff still happened, but we still kept an eye out for each other)

and there was a second house broken into, and they said nothing!!!!

Glad we have a big dog. Probably the only reason the house was not broken into.

DrinkofWtr
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Dear Sits In the
Corner:

I am sorry that your snow blower was stolen. It seems to be the way of the world, that neighbors are pretty distant from one another nowdays and it makes it easier for the thieves to do their dirty work. Where I live there is only one neighbor who watches out for me, and we watch out for him. Our apartment manager is not a good communicator at all and never sends anything in writing to us, or informs us of anything. Maybe she doesn't send out anything written so she can't be liable or responsible for anything that happens around here.

rob
01-20-2009, 11:36 AM
The best neighborhoods I've lived in have been the ones where all the neighbors were friends, and looked out for each other. They were also the most crime free neighborhoods I've lived in as well. Before I moved from Arizona to Maine, my ex and I were out to dinner in a nice part of town, when we had some numbskull pull out a knife and demand her purse and my wallet out in the parking lot. Luckily, at the time, my job necesitated carrying a concealed weapon, and I was able to draw my pistol and the numbskull decided it wasn't worth it, and dropped his knife and ran. A Police Officer grabbed him a few blocks away. It just so happened that the officer was one of my students in an advanced combat pistol course I was teaching at the time. He kinda laughed about the crooks choice of target. I hated to have to possibly use deadly force to defend her and I. I would have, but I certainly did not want to. It messed with my head for awhile. Living in a high crime area is no fun. I'm thankful I life out in the sticks now away from all that. I'm sorry to hear about the crime you have both had to live with.

DrinkofWtr
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
I used to live in the "sticks" in Oregon. The isolation bothered me a little when I was young, but now it would bother me a lot more since I have gotten older. I am thinking maybe I should learn how to shoot a gun after all these years. There have been a lot more murders lately where I live than in the past. A sign of the times! I am trying to find a place in a more rural area around here to live. It is hard though because rentals are not prevalent and the reasonably priced places go fast. I am going to keep looking though.