PDA

View Full Version : New pain site.

sits_inthe_corner
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
For the last two days the long finger on my right hand has been throbbing and getting steadily worse.

Cours I've got all kinds of thoughts rushing through my head. What if it is RA? Is this just going slowly take over my whole body?

This all started in my feet over two years ago, now it's everywhere and I still don't have any freaking answers and I'm ready to choke the next doctor who says well maybe it's .....

How bought doing some freaking tests and scans and what ever else ya do to ACTUALLY find out what the heck is going on.

I type for a living....this sucks.

Saysusie
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
SITC:
I am so sorry to hear that you have developed a new pain in a new area. I agree with you 100% about running some tests and giving you some definite answers.
I would be so happy to come with you so that I could hold them down while you throttle them unmercifully if they say "well maybe it's...."
I know that it sounds sadistic, but sometimes that image of bashing uncaring doctors in the head puts a smile on my face. I know we can never resort to that kind of physical attack...but dreaming about it sometimes gives us a bit of satisfaction! :grab: :snipersmile: :2gunfire:

Oh well, the best that I can do is to send you warm, understanding hugs.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Danica01
01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I am so sorry you have new pain :cry: I know that we have so much old pain to deal with that new pain is not welcomed! I bet you are fed up with doctors and there whole run around bit they give you. It is exhausting just thinking about it :? I am with Saysusie, I will also go along and take pictures so we can post them on here and everyone can feel better just by looking at them :D I hate that all I can say is hang in there, I just wish there was more I could do to help. I am sending you gentle hugs and thoughts of a pain free night.

You mentioned that you type for a living. Have you looked into Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? My mom is an accountant and has used the ten key and has typed all her life at work. This syndrome is actually caused by excessive typing. It is just an idea. I am not sure how long you have been typing and if it is even a possibility. I will attach an website for you to look at and maybe it can help you either rule it out or even give you something to bring to the doctors attention.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/carpal_tunnel_syndrome/article_em.htm

Keep us updated
:wink:

sits_inthe_corner
01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the support and information Saysusie and Danica

The pain is right in the joints of the finger...for now tylenol is helping. Soon as I get a moment I'm going to call and speak with my rheumy's nurse just to pass on the information... :? in case she cares to see me about it, but I doubt it...lord I sound like eor :lol:

Danica, your words about unwelcomed new pain reminds me of that old joke my brother used to play on me.

He'd hit me in the shoulder and ask if it hurt, then he'd kick me in the shin to make me forget that my shoulder hurt :lol:

My finger hurts so bad right now that my knees seem like a walk in the park :lol:

Rastagirl
01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi Sits,

Was just reading your post and wondered if the finger joint pain is your usual arthritis pain or does it feel different?

I've found over the years with arthritis, that it can show up in any joint on any given day with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I can attribute it to overuse of the joint or something repetitious I've done, but more often than not, the Lupus just seems to pick a joint and ATTACK!!

I'm sorry you're suffering...wish we could wish it away for you.

I don't know if you've tried this, but something I do when the joint pain is really bad in my fingers or wrists is to wrap my hands in a heating pad for about 10 minutes to help relax the joints and muscles, and then I use lots of lotion and give myself a slow hand massage. Like the ones they give when you get a manicure. Be sure to take it real easy with the joints and use gentle pressure on each finger and the muscles around your wrist. Just take your time and keep adding lotion so you glide over the skin easily. It also helps me to relax and gets my mind off of the pain if I use a lotion with a wonderful scent, like chamomille and peppermint. It's very soothing.

I don't know if this is of help and I feel a little silly when I read back over it, telling you to massage your own hands, but I've lived with joint pain for so many years now that I've literally tried anything and everything for relief at some point. Just thought I'd share something that's worked for me.

I hope you'll find some relief soon.

Sending you some Gentle Hand Hugs.....

Fondly,

Lori :)

sits_inthe_corner
01-16-2009, 06:24 PM
:D Thank you Rastagirl

That's actually very helpful. I'm used to treating the arthritis in my feet, ribs and knees.

The finger pain is new and other that taking some tylenol I really haven't done anything to help it. But now I will.

I do have some heat wraps and I have some soothing lotions. Thanks for reminding me to use them :lol: I'm not the brightest penny in the pile today.

Busy day at work and I think I used up my last brain cell there.

The pain is right in the joints, there's no swelling or hot spot. So in that way it's not like the other arthritis pains I have. It throbs and aches with temperature changes of course when I use the hand.

It is most definately in the joints.

I've had a condition called trigger finger. My fingers will lock down flat to my hand and when I try to open them ... the spring like a trigger.

They were going to do surgery to cut open the sheath around the tendon, but some one is a BIG scaredy cat and wouldn't let them do it.

That actually did heal up and go away. But it made me very aware of tedon pain versis joint pain.

It's good to see you on the board Rastagirl :D

iseedeadmonkeys
01-17-2009, 05:46 AM
i get tht too i just put it down to the artharitus too :)

Rastagirl
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi SITC,

Glad I could help a bit. :) And good to be back on the boards. I missed all you guys. :(

Life took me for a crazy spin for awhile. Just way too many things to do. When things get out of control busy and I can feel the stress building, I kind of have to check out for awhile and hide out. I call it 'dropping off the planet to save my health and sanity' and I've learned how to do it very well. For me, it's what keeps my Lupus in remission. I go into survival mode and only deal with myself, my 2 kids and their needs and my husband, who is okay with coming in last. :D

Hope your joints are having a better day! :lol:

Fondly,

Lori

sits_inthe_corner
01-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Hugs to ya Rastagirl

My sister does the same thing. We worked out a code. I call and let the phone ring a certain number of times. Hang up and call right back, she knows to answer the phone OR I'm coming out there.

It's a 45 minute drive so she know's I'll be :mad: by the time I get there :lol:

Usually she answers the phone....for me :)

We are very respectful of each other's needs.

I hope you continue to hold on to remission :)

Rastagirl
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh, how funny, SITC.............my sister and I have a similar phone code. We call and ring once, hang up and then call right back so we know who is calling and that there won't be any questions or judgements or anything other than, "Hi, how are ya today? And we both know it's okay to unload or vent. The other one just sits and listens. No expectations. Just listening and reassurance that it'll be okay.

My sister has been the one person I have been able to count on since day 1 of my diagnosis. She's only one year older than me and we've always been close. (Well, except when we were teenagers and there were arguments over clothes, boys, personal space, etc. :lol: )

I'm glad you have your sis, too. Is she older or younger than you? When I'm counting my blessings, my sister has a spot way up high on the list. :D

Thanks for your kind thoughts for my continued remission. I count every single day a blessing when I can say I am in remission. I say, "God, thank you that I woke up today, that I am still in remission, and I can get out of bed on my own and walk. I truly wish that every person who suffers from this rotten disease will one day get their lasting remission. I believe that if it happened for me, it can, and will, happen for everyone.

Fondly,

Lori :P

sits_inthe_corner
01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Hugs Lori

My sister is 1 1/2 yrs older than me. We were the same way growing up as you and your sister.

We always shared a room and sometimes shared a bed :lol: depending on the financial situation of the family at the time.

She used to put oranges in my bed. She knew I was allergic to them and would break out in a horrible rash and not be able to tag along with her and her "boyfriend" :P

You know the usually bratty sister stuff. Course I was a perfect angel and never did anything bad to her :lilangel:

Rastagirl
01-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi SITC

We definitely have some things in common......

My sister and I also shared a room, and we had to share a bed all the way until high school. I remember we were soooooo embarassed and didn't want anyone to find out. Ours was also because of financial reasons (small house). I also vividly remember the day my parents bought us twin beds with all the trimmings. We were on cloud nine that day. Guess Dad must have got a raise or something.... :lol:

My sister and I had some whopper fights over her wearing my clothes without asking, and I remember buying a big chain and padlock and locking my closet door shut. :D When you look back, it's hilarious now, but then we made each other miserable.

My sister moved out and got her own apartment the day she turned 18, and I was absolutely thrilled to finally have my own room (with 2 closets, cuz now I had hers).

When I was diagnosed with Lupus a year later and was extremely sick in the hospital going through a 'Steroid Psychosis', my sister was there every day. She was working as a Legal Secretary, and she would take a long lunch and come to the hopsital (I was in there for a month). She would bring me milkshakes and sweet smelling hand lotions, and fashion magazines, and most importantly, her Strength and Love. She would come every day and tell me I was going to get better, that I must get better, cuz she needed me. "She needed me". That one blew me away. I thought she was the strong one! Turns out we both were. :D

Boy, has this brought back some strong emotional feelings. :cry:

Okay, done with the trip down memory lane.

I believe those of us with a close, special Sister relationship are some of the luckiest in the world!

Thanks for sharing............

Lori :P