PDA

View Full Version : New Rheumy appt in early Feb.

melindarose
01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can give me some advice on how to get the most from a consult with a new rheumatologist. My first diagnosis came in 1995 as fibromyalgia and Raynaud's. Since then I have seen a number of rheumatologists with different results from the consults. I've also been told that I have myo-fascial pain syndrome, chronic fatigue, sjogren's syndrome, lupus and undifferentiated connective tissue syndrome. I have an awful lot of osteoarthritis for my age, especially of the neck, foot, hands and the basal joints in wrists/thumbs. Had the basal joint in my left thumb removed and have a plate and screws in there now and need the left side done fairly soon. I have knots on my finger joints, both bony and some cysts too. I have both ruptured and buldging discs in my neck and severe and frequent migraines. If I was reading what I just wrote I wonder if I'd believe it! Then after my favorite rheumatologist left the state, the next and most recent one said he didn't think it was anything more than fibro. I felt he thought I was a hypochondriac, and like I'd stepped backwards 15 years in my trek.

Last month my family dr. felt like my symptoms had worsened and wanted an evaluation with a different rheumy. My ANA was negative following my appt with my family doctor, my SED rate was 40-something. I forgot to mention earlier that I've had Anti-phospholipids that were mildly positive and 3 miscarriages in the past.

Any suggestions of how I should approach this next appt would be appreciated. Also, have any of you been diagnosed with lupus without a positive ANA, or with one that has come and gone?

Thanks, melindarose

mountaindreamer
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi melindarose,

welcome to the forum. I know someone will be able to address your situation and provide you with valuable guidance.

I have a great rheum. I can not overemphasize the value of a dr. that you can trust, and who does not make you feel like you are the problem. I hope your pcp can refer you to someone that will address this with the importance that your situation obviously requires.

I know there a couple of people on this forum who have a negative ANA, and they will be along soon.

good luck to you, keep us posted.

sits_inthe_corner
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi melindarose and welcome :)

I have had several ANA tests done, some possitive, some boarder line and some negative.

I am not diagnosed as yet.

It's never easy going through the new doctor first time meeting. It's very nerve wracking.

Make sure you arrive 15 minutes before your appointment. Most rheumy's have a little question thingy they want you to fill in about affected areas and pain levels.

Take some time and prepare a list of things you wish to talk about or mention to your new doctor. As well as any questions you may have.

Do the list in point form. It's easy to get flustered in these appointments and not focus on your list. So keep it simple and clear.

Make a list of all medications you have been on or are on.

Most of all, be confident. You hare meeting this new doctor to see if you can work together on the betterment of your health.

Hopefully this doctor will work with you :)

Let us know how you make out.

Danica01
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome! You are going to love it here, it is amazing! Everyone here is so loving and they are all very supportive. You will always find someone who is going through what you are going through and that makes all the difference with our disease. You are never alone and we are all here to help you get through the tough times and celebrate with you when things are wonderful!

I agree with sits_inthe_corner, make a list of all your symptoms and any questions you may have. Going in there like this will show the doctor that you are very serious about your health care . Do not leave until you have all your answers. One thing to remember is that do not worry if you do not like this doc. You have to find the best fit for you and it may take a few doctors to actually get there. Another thing to remember is that you need to have a copy of all you medical records sent to them or sent to you in order for you to give to the doctor. This will help the doctor see where you are at and what you are going through. He may not have to run certain tests and he may find that your previous doctor left something out. The more information you have when you walk into that office the better. Remember you are your own advocate when it comes to your health. :D Good luck and please keep us updated on how things are going :wink: