PDA

View Full Version : I am not digesting any of the food I eat....

NoodleMom
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
as well as some of my meds. The capsules and some of the smaller tabs digest just fine but the larger pills just go right thru. I dont have much stomach pain anymore but everything just goes right thru me.

I do take something for my gut but I cant remember what it is called. Hubby says it is something to limit or stop the acid in my stomach.
He said the acid is what helps with digestion and if I am not producing any then I wont be able to digest. It confuses me.

Gonna call the doc tomorrow. What else to do?

K

rob
01-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi there Noodlemom,

I have this same problem, and I just started an acid reducer called Prevacid about a month ago. My problem isn't as severe as yours is though. Digestive/malabsorption problems and taking meds is a very delicate balance, so by all means please see your Dr. on this. About the only suggestion I have would be to eat foods that are easily digestable. No need to overtax your digestive system even more until you get this figured out. I wish I had a better answer for you.

sits_inthe_corner
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Hugs NoodleMom

Have you mentioned this to your doctor?

I'm thinking Irritable bowel syndrom or celiacs :P

You really should have a visit with your doc.

Gentle hugs to ya.

NoodleMom
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh yes I have IBS. As far a s celiacs...dunno. I am seeing my doc at 2pm tomorrow.

sits_inthe_corner
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Good luck with the doctor's appointment tomorrow, NoodleMom

Let us know how it goes.

If it is not celiacs and the doctor feels your IBS is flaring, ask them if it's okay for you to take some imodium.

Might help you hold to things long enough to digest.

DrinkofWtr
01-13-2009, 09:51 AM
What is celiacs? I know what IBS is, but I have never heard of celiacs.

Saysusie
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Celiac disease is a digestive condition triggered by consumption of the protein gluten, which is found in bread, pasta, cookies, pizza crust and many other foods containing wheat, barley or rye. If a person with celiac disease eats foods containing gluten, an immune reaction occurs in the small intestine, causing damage to the surface of the small intestine and an inability to absorb certain nutrients.

Because the body's own immune system causes the damage, celiac disease is considered an autoimmune disorder (as is Lupus). However, it is also classified as a disease of malabsorption because nutrients are not absorbed. Celiac disease is also known as celiac sprue, nontropical sprue, and gluten-sensitive enteropathy.

Eventually, the decreased absorption of nutrients (malabsorption) that occurs with celiac disease can cause vitamin deficiencies that deprives the brain, the peripheral nervous system, the bones, the liver and other organs of vital nourishment. This can lead to other illnesses as well as to stunted growth in children.

The exact cause of celiac disease is unknown, but it's often inherited. If someone in your immediate family has it, chances are 5 to 15 percent that you may as well. People with celiac disease tend to have other autoimmune diseases. The connection between celiac disease and these diseases may be genetic. These diseases include:
* thyroid disease
* systemic lupus erythematosus
* type 1 diabetes
* liver disease
* collagen vascular disease
* rheumatoid arthritis
* Sjögren’s syndrome

Many times, for reasons that aren't clear, the disease emerges after some form of trauma: an infection, a physical injury, the stress of pregnancy, severe stress or surgery.

I hope that I've answered your question
:lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

KathyW1958
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Saysusie,
You explained it better then I could.

Hi K,
I am glad that Saysusie, explained it far better then I could.

Hugs,
Kathy

Saysusie
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
You are most welcome :lol:

Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi K, glad to see you going to docs. Popped in for quick read of what was up. When my acid is to low from my acid reducers, I eat tomatoes and drink (decaf) coffee. They produce acid in the tummy more so than other foods.

Off to bed, hoped it helped. Ask doc first, wouldn't want you to upset and cause more tummy trouble than needed. Hope doc helps out tomorrow. Hope I'm making since, sorry. So sleepy, good night.

NoodleMom
01-13-2009, 09:50 PM
I got back this afternoon and promptly fell asleep. Didnt wake until 10pm. I will be seein a GI doc. Gall bladder issues are now being talked about. Will have an ultrasound and probably headed into another colonoscopy. Also doing some stool studies. It is official I have lost 30+ lbs. The doc did seem quite concerned.
So it goes...

cheryl_v
01-14-2009, 04:33 AM
You poor thing, let us know how it goes today.