PDA

View Full Version : Possible Sleep Apnea and Definitely Allergies.

DrinkofWtr
01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Went to the Dr. today to see if he could give me something for my allergies. I have dry, inflammed nasal passages, ears full of pressure, and burning, watery eyes--typical allergy symptoms. If the meds. he gave me don't work, I will start taking allergy shots.

I am going back to see him, next Tuesday. He is going to evaluate me for sleep apnea which I suspect I might have. I wake up in the morning feeling like I haven't slept all night and I am not sure if there are stops in my breathing during the night. He says it is an involved process, including sleep studies.

If any of you have been diagnosed or have knowledge of sleep apnea, I would love to hear from you. I really don't know what to expect and am apprehensive about the treatment, etc. Thanks.

sits_inthe_corner
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Gentle hugs to ya DrinkofWtr

I don't have any experience with this, but my heart goes out to you. I know the testing is long and envolved.

Is the doctor testing you for any other possibilities?

DrinkofWtr
01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't know if he is going to test me for other possibilities. I hope so.

notsurerfh
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
i know i don't have sleep apnea but i wake up feeling the same way, and i also suffer from allergies. i take medicine but lately i cant seem to kick them. the last three weeks have been like listening through a door and my eyes burn so bad i want to take them out. i really hope they find something that works for you. i think allergies may be a link to your sleep loss. i know the stuffy nose makes it impossible to rest well and if it isn't stuffy its runny and thats worse. hang in there and keep us posted.

snowbear
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't have apnea but I do over-breathe ( gasping for breath like I'm hungry for air) - not by choice but I have costochondritis ( inflamation of the cartiledge in the ribs) and it often makes my brain think something is wrong with my breathing and it automatically over compensates. I also have pain/asthma which wakes me at night - not enough to wake me up but enough to disturb my sleep and so I end up not feeling rested and over time sleep deprivation and breathing poorly has some nasty side effects.

A sleep study is a piece of cake - they film you while you sleep, monitor what happens to your heart and blood gases and if you stop breathing they will see both that and also what happens to your brain- ie is it a cognitive problem or a mechanical breathing one or something else entirely.

treatment can be really simple from physiotherapy exercises, to sewing a tennis ball into pj's so if you roll on your back you'll turn over, to the more complicated getting you to wear a mask at night to aid breathing or the more complicated surgery - it really depends on the cause of the problems.