PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate

KimKimma
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I saw my rheumatologist this morning and he thinks i should try Methotrexate. I have been having a lot of joint pain recently and have been on prednisone for a while now and he thinks maybe its time for something new. Anybody have any experience with Methotrexate. Iíve heard bad stuff about it and want to get some opinions from the best source...everyone here who has lived through the same issues. Thanks for any input!

iseedeadmonkeys
01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi theres quite a few of us who take methotrexate,

yeah it had its bad press but then what drug doesnt? ive been taking it for 4 months now and im starting to feel the releif from it, if you do take it take it slow for a while takes a while for it to kick in, and the feeling of sickness does subside trust :D

take it easy and welcome to the forum

x

Danica01
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I am also on Methotrexate. I inject the medication every Monday night. Tuesdays are a bit tough for me but by Wednesday I am feeling much better and the rest of the week is a piece of cake :D It is a very hars drug and you should research it before you decide to take it. The side effects can be handled but it may take some time to fugure out what works best for you. We will be here to answer any questions when you are ready. It really isn't as bad as you think it will be :wink: Here is some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methotrexate

rss2
01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I've used metho for a year now, low dosages. I haven't experience the harsh side effects that others have. It does take a while for the metho to take effect. I have found that my flare-ups are reduced. You do have to take folic acid with this drug. I like the fact that I only have to take metho one a week. I think it depends upon the dosage you are taking of this drug and the side effects.

Has anyone else had positive results from methotrexate?

iseedeadmonkeys
01-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Also it all depends on the person to the side affects you get
coz we all different :D

KathyW1958
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi all,
I asked my doctor about seeing if I could benefit from Methotrexate and I was told NO. I was very shocked to hear this big time. I was told that if the Imuran did not work that they would go to Cell Cept. I was told that my doctor only perscribes Methotrexate if a person has Rheumatoid Arthritis. It blew my mind big time. They just increased my Imuran up to 175 mg a day from 125 mgs a day. I just don't get it. Oh well.

Hugs,
Kathy

Danica01
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM
At least you asked. I am surprised too! I know I was not put on it until I my joints really started to swell quite a bit. I am so sorry that they said no. Who knows, maybe there is a good reason why they are not giving it to you :wink: Hang in there and see if the increase meds help you. Keep us posted on how you feel over the next few weeks :wink:

Danica01
01-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Kathy I noticed you are on Tramadol. Does it help you? I am on Ultram which is Tramadol. I am not sure if it helps that much. Just wanted to know what your feelings and thoughts were on it.

Hi all,
I asked my doctor about seeing if I could benefit from Methotrexate and I was told NO. I was very shocked to hear this big time. I was told that if the Imuran did not work that they would go to Cell Cept. I was told that my doctor only perscribes Methotrexate if a person has Rheumatoid Arthritis. It blew my mind big time. They just increased my Imuran up to 175 mg a day from 125 mgs a day. I just don't get it. Oh well.

Hugs,
Kathy

cptnblah
01-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I was just increased from .9cc to 1.0cc. I normally take it on Monday nights but am thinkiung that I should change to Thurs night since I have Fri and Sat off. When she increased it the last time, I got really sick after taking it so I am verry nervous about tomorrow night. Do not get me wrong...the sickness from taking the drug outweighs the bad effects that I have if I don't. It allows me to work so that my family can still have a nice life style. Does anyone know what is the normal range of taking MTX IM? I am just wondering.

Thanks,