PDA

View Full Version : Help for Winter skin!!

SassyAuburn
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
This isn't really a medication question, but it might turn into one so I am putting this here...

When I first was diagnosed with lupus in July, I was kind of riding the wave because I have always had oily skin. I did have to throw out all of my skin care and makeup products because I developed a sensitivity to talc, abrasive ingredients and perfumes. It took me a couple of months, but I finally had a routine that kept my skin in check, no redness, nice and smooth (and SPF'd as well).

Well, welcome to winter! I live in beautiful Upstate NY where we say, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute...it will change." Now, out of the blue, my face has gotten very dry. And red! Not terrible red, kind of like a light looking sunburn on my cheeks. I've researched to find a good cleanser and moisturizer for my face that will put moisture in and not irritate/burn, but so far none are working and my face is getting redder and flaky. (I try to give each product 5 days to see if it is working or if I'm sensitive to it).

When I first became diagnosed, I went "back to basics" and made all my skin care. I washed my face with oatmeal, yogurt and bananas. I switched over to a gentle cleanser in early Fall that I found at Sephora and had no problems with it. I moisturized with olive oil at night and lightweight almond oil during the day. But now everything makes it itch and burn. My face is getting redder...and drier... by the day.

I don't know if I'm having a "flare" right now. I still haven't defined what a flare is to me as this is still a work in progress. I'm not that tired, my fever is normal, and except for a pain in my knee which has been around for almost a month, I'm feeling somewhat okay. No meds have changed since July.

What do you dry, sensitive skin people do for products? Any certain brands (natural, drug store, health food store, organic, homemade) work best for any of you? And when you face is feeling itchy, do you find your SPF makes it feel worse? If so, what do you use?

HELP!!!!!
~Sassy

(Oh, by the way... did I mention I am in the fashion and cosmetics industry? You can see how this is frustrating as heck to me!!)

sits_inthe_corner
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi ya Sassy

In the winter my face usually turns to a dried up rice cake. This year I found this stuff at the Shoppers Drug Mart. I'm not sure what store around you would carry it, but here it goes anyway.

Botanics, it's all natural stuff in it. VERY gentle on the skin. It's a vitamin recovery mask, I put it on for about ten minutes in the morning. Let it dry into my skin, then was it off.

My face has not been dry or flakey or sore....so far...it's early winter yet :lol:

iseedeadmonkeys
01-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Yeah im interested in this one too, as on my cheek bones by the corners of my eyes, ive got a quite painful raised rash hurts like mad when im bathing in the morning (drying) moisturiser dont work lol hmm x

Danica01
01-07-2009, 12:04 AM
My dermatologist recommended that I use cetaphil. They have a very natural wash and moisturizer. It is carried in every type of store and has been around for a long time. I would really try this. I know a lot of people who use it and love it :!: We live in the desert where right now it is very cold and dry as well as very hot and dry in the summer. We can have horrible winds in the summer and winter which causes all of us to get chapped cheeks :lol: Here is the website so you can take look and get a little more information.

www.cetaphil.com

Good luck and let us all know how it goes :angel: