PDA

View Full Version : Books!!!!!!!!!!!

Danica01
01-03-2009, 01:36 AM
I LOVE to read and when I say I love to read I mean it :!: :!: :!: There are days when I can lay in bed and read an entire novel :D I have found it very difficult to get to the library or even the book store next to my home. I started researching and looking for a library I could use from the comfort of my own bed! I have found something great and I hope those of you who love to read will jump on the web site and see what fun it is :!: :!: :!: The web site is

www.swaptree.com

You swap books with other people who love to read. You just pay for shipping, $3.00 and you get a brand new book!!!!!!!!!! I have already swapped 7 books and getting them in the mail is like Christmas all year long :D So, go check it out :!: I thought those of us who are pretty home bound would appriciate it :wink:

karli1238
01-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I love to read also. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the information.

rob
01-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Very cool idea Danica. What kind of books do you like? Do you have a favorite author? I read all the time. On my more clear headed days I've been known to finish a novel in a couple of days.

Danica01
01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Rob,

I love everything!!!! I am reading Harry Potter right now and I have finished a few from authors I haven't heard of but ended up loving!!!! I enjoy Jody Picoult and so many others :D What kind of books do you like to read :?:

Daninca

rob
01-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Rob,

I love everything!!!! I am reading Harry Potter right now and I have finished a few from authors I haven't heard of but ended up loving!!!! I enjoy Jody Picoult and so many others :D What kind of books do you like to read :?:

Daninca

I like to read alot of nonfiction history. Mostly WWII history. The late Stephen Ambrose is a favorite. For fiction, I like Tom Clancy, and Stephen King. Sometimes I go back and re-read some of the classics. Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men is one of my all time favorites.

I sometimes have problems reading because my eyes sometimes don't track well left to right, like when you read, so I sometimes cheat and get a book on tape or disc. I always prefer active reading to passive listening, but sometimes it's the only option. Of course, that opens up another aspect-who is doing the reading? Most of the audio novels are read by celebrities. Some are great, and some should just stick to acting. Morgan Freeman is by far the best reader/storyteller. The actor Gary Sinise is really good too.

Danica01
01-03-2009, 01:55 PM
I just traded East of Eden! I loved it!!!!! I know, sometimes it is hard to actually sit and read. I can get headaches pretty easily and those seem to jump out when I am reading. I think I may need to go and see my eye doctor soon :wink: Tim likes a lot of the authors you do. We have a lot of those books laying around for his rainy day reads :D My mom loves Stephen King :!: When I was little she would read them at night and scare herself, she was a single mom :wink: I still love hearing her friends tell me how she used to call them all because she was frightened of a book....lol :!:

I think part of the reason I love to read is that it allows me to escape into a world that is different than mine. It is a world full of excitement and no Lupus :wink: I think that is one of my little coping mechanisms :angel:

Rob,

Daninca

I like to read alot of nonfiction history. Mostly WWII history. The late Stephen Ambrose is a favorite. For fiction, I like Tom Clancy, and Stephen King. Sometimes I go back and re-read some of the classics. Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men is one of my all time favorites.

I sometimes have problems reading because my eyes sometimes don't track well left to right, like when you read, so I sometimes cheat and get a book on tape or disc. I always prefer active reading to passive listening, but sometimes it's the only option. Of course, that opens up another aspect-who is doing the reading? Most of the audio novels are read by celebrities. Some are great, and some should just stick to acting. Morgan Freeman is by far the best reader/storyteller. The actor Gary Sinise is really good too.

BonusMom
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Morgan Freeman is by far the best reader/storyteller. The actor Gary Sinise is really good too.

I, too, am a voracious reader and have thought about branching out to the audio books due to dryness of the eyes. And, because I adore Morgan Freeman, I will look for his work in particular. Thanks for the recommendations!

brandichi
03-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey, this is SO cool!!!! I'm a bookworm too, in fact, one of the first things I did when I bought my house was create a library in one of the spare bedrooms. Floor to ceiling bookshelves - total heaven!! :yes: Amazon has been my best friend for years now, but I'm going to give this site to swap books a try - it sounds fantastic!!! I often read a novel in an evening, and a few books during a weekend. I've only listened to one audio book, and it happened to be a book I didn't like (it was Good Grief, which a friend insisted I had to read), so I haven't gone back to it, but I should give them a try again. Thanks for sharing this!!

rob
03-24-2009, 04:25 PM
It's funny,

I was very much against getting a book on tape or disc. Being a bit of a purist, as well as a perfectionist, seeing how my favorite authors tailor their words and writings, is almost as good as reading the story itself. But, my eyes don't always do what I want them to these days, so I've learned to like books on tape and disc. A great orator, especially someone you already like as an actor, can bring a new perspective to an old favorite, as well as illuminate a new story you've never read. I've decided that there's nothing wrong with listening to a book, rather than reading it.

Rob

pamjw
03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
This sounds like agreat idea I will have to try this.
I love to read when I can focus on the page. I have so many books
I ould trade in.
Thanks for the great tip!

Pam
:cute:

rob
03-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Pam,

I figured that I can only read a certain amount at this point, so if I limit myself only to what I can actually read, I'll be missing out on some really good stuff. My ears still work most of the time, so there's nothing wrong with tuning them up and giving my eyes a rest. By the way, welcome to our group!

Rob

Danica01
03-25-2009, 12:40 AM
I was also very against books on tape and cd! I love the smell of books and sound they make when you open them!!!!!! I should be a librarian!!!!!! I have found a place for them in my life as well. When we are on long trips and driving at night or when I just can't seem to hold my books up to read.....I love hearing actors read books! It almost adds a new life to the story!!!! I have a question for you.......have you read the Steve Martin book?????? I hear it is amazing and inspirational!!!!! That is one on my list!!!!!

It's funny,

I was very much against getting a book on tape or disc. Being a bit of a purist, as well as a perfectionist, seeing how my favorite authors tailor their words and writings, is almost as good as reading the story itself. But, my eyes don't always do what I want them to these days, so I've learned to like books on tape and disc. A great orator, especially someone you already like as an actor, can bring a new perspective to an old favorite, as well as illuminate a new story you've never read. I've decided that there's nothing wrong with listening to a book, rather than reading it.

Rob