PDA

View Full Version : Worsening of sx after accident??

triagenurse22
01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi all...

I'm new here and wanted to first of all...thank everyone for the warm welcome on the new members thread...even though I don't have a dx. yet and am still waiting to see the rheumy....I seem to share some issues with others and it's a great and caring place to come.

Anywho.....I have had a very rough week!!! Monday morning on my way to work....I hit a large 10 pt buck with my car. It was pretty bad....left a bowling ball sized hole in my windshield and the rest was shattered, it completely broke out my drivers window.....and left various other damage to my door, front fender and hood. I escaped with only a bloody nose and a few minor cuts and bruises and THANK GOODNESS...my little boy wasn't hurt..not even a scratch.

Since the accident.....my muscle pain, joint pain, headaches, etc have been much worse. I'm assuming some of it is related to the accident itself...but I'm wondering if just the stress of the whole thing caused some sort of flare...of whatever I have going on? The rash on my palms has also been a much darker looking red.

Just wondering if anyone can relate? Also...another question....can lupus cause you to bruise easily? I have had this problem since this summer...I can just lightly bump myself and it turns into a huge and nasty looking bruise. Also wondering if lupus can cause or anyone has experience with getting severe, stabbing joint pain in the night. I've had it happen twice now to my right knee. It wakes me up and I literally cannot move my leg at all or the stabbing gets worse. It's almost like a combination of a leg cramp/someone blow-torching my knee and someone stabbing it all at the same time. It lasted about 15 minutes both times and then it gradually settles but I'm left with a lot of residual pain the next day.

Ok...I better run......thanks in advance for any replies and I hope everyone is well.

Hugs
Liv

Fl_grower
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
What you have is whiplash, or soft tissue injury, probably not at all related to lupus. It usually takes 2 days for the pain to set in from an accident. What's happened is that your muscles and joints were all strained from the impact, and now it will take at least 2 weeks for them all to heal.

If you do have lupus or fibro, then the stress may be contributing to the pain, but it's mostly just the whiplash.

Easy bruising is a vitamin C deficiency.

rob
01-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Hello Liv,

I'm Rob, and I was diagnosed with SLE five years ago. I'm 40. So you hit a 10 point buck-ouch. That's a common occurence here in Maine. Lots of deer hits, and many collisions with moose too. Many of the moose hits, and some of the deer hits result in fatal injuries to the driver and anyone else in the front seat. You are very lucky.

In regards to physical trauma sustained in an auto accident causing or aggravating a flare, there is no solid info on the subject, but many rheumotologists have the opinion that the mental stress of an accident can certainly cause or worsen a flare. It makes sense, and I agree with that opinion. Any sort of stress is a sure fire flare trigger for me. As far as you possibly having sustained a whiplash injury, it is possible, but the type of accident and your symptoms makes me think that it's unlikely. Generally, whiplash from an auto accident occurs when there is an impact to the rear of the car, especially if the car being rear ended is not moving. The common scenario is a person sitting at a red light being rear-ended by another vehicle.

A soft tissue injury such as whiplash can cause what are called parethesias, which is a tingling/burning sensation in the extremities, but generally not joint pain like you describe in your knee. It can be from banging it in the accident, but I have the exact type of joint pain you describe, and for me it's always associated with an active flare. Mine wakes me up in the middle of the night, and is a stabbing, burning pain that comes and goes in waves. Not very fun.

As far as bruising easily, that is a common symptom of Lupus, and many times is related to a low blood platelet count. Also, prednisone can cause easy bruising as well on it's own, and in combination with a low platelet count.

Of course, these are only my opinions based on what you describe. I always suggest that people see their Dr./Rheumo when experiencing a new symptom or group of symptoms like what you are having. Better safe than sorry. Anyway, welcome to our group. Please make yourself at home.

Rob

Danica01
01-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I am soooo happy you are ok and that your son made it out scratch free :!: I am sorry you are feeling so yucky :( About four years ago I was hit in the back of my car while sitting at a light. He was going 45. I walked away just fine but the days to follow were horrible :cry: I bet it is whiplash. That is what the doctor told me. However, any form of stress can trigger a flare so get lots of rest and when you feel like you are starting to worry about things......stop and breathe and ask youself if this is important in the whole scheme of life. It may help :wink: I am sending you healing thoughs and gentle hugs :wink: Keep us updated on how you are feeling and what the doc says :!:

triagenurse22
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone...just wanted to thank you all for the responses...I really appreciate it!!!! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.....I've been super busy and feeling pretty rough. The silver lining regarding my accident is the fact that they totaled out my car...so I will be getting a new one...which was in the works anyways. Getting a one year old in the back of a 2 door wasn't the easiest on me. Anyways....still feeling bad but I am excited because I have finally reached the week of my rheumy appt!!!! It is this Friday at 9am.....I'm excited and scared but really looking forward to getting the ball rolling and talk to a doc who specializes in this stuff....I've been waiting since November. Ok..I better run...I will update everyone after my appt. Thanks again for all the info/advice/and well wishes..you guys are great!!!!

liv