PDA

View Full Version : pain meds/ fight to get them

ethanandrew
01-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi
I have systemic lupus, lupoid hep., fibro, and ra. I was on oxycodone for pain because I cant take ibouprofen, or tylenol, because of my liver. I want to try tramidol because its not a narcotic. dones anybody know how well it works? Iam at my wits end they dont want me to take anything . My doc said Ill have to live with the pain
ethanandrew

sits_inthe_corner
01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi ethanandrew

Nice to meet you. I'm not familier with that drug.

I'm on arthrotec75 and plaquenil. I'm told I have psoriatic arthritis arthritis, though no tests have been done. I do not have a diagnosis for lupus as yet, but I do have many of the markers.

If you have liver issues they probably wouldn't consider you for plaquenil, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Saysusie is very knowledgeable about different medications and conditions associated with lupus. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you more insite.

Mostly I just wanted to welcome you to the site :)

ethanandrew
01-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Iam on praqinal, predisone,and emuran, I just need to get my pain level under control. I dont want to take norcotics, There has to be a way to get my pain level under control

Lizza
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi there, I am new to this whole thing but I am currently taking Ultram (Tramadol) for pain. I am also a recovering heroin addict on Suboxone, therefore I can not take any opiates. The Tramadol does help slightly. I take 75mg. of that mixed with 800mg. of ibprophren. Those meds. seem to make a bit of a difference. I also take glucosomine, Omega 3 & 6 and magnesium. I still have bad and good days but they seem to be a bit better since starting these meds. Good luck to you and I hope this helped a little. Oh by the way, Ultram is addicting in some people even those it technically contains no opiates. It works the same as opiates in connecting with the receptors in the brain, only difference is that it has no theobain (dervived from poppy plant) which is found in most opiates.

mountaindreamer
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi ethandrew,

I took tramadol for a while but really did not get a lot of relief from it. I too struggle with th scare of taking narcotics, but I can't take NSAIDS (cause an entire body rash that itches beyond tolerance). I am in the process of trying to find a minimal narcotic that gives relief. So far, dilaudid(which is NOT minimal) is the only med that truly gives me relief.

Hopfully, tramadol will work for you....it is worth a try.

share a smile today

Danica01
01-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I am on tramadol right now. I take two 50mg tablets at night, before bed. I also take flexeril. It helps a bit but not as much as I would like. I too am a little nervous about the stronger stuff. I am recovering from surgery and have been taking percocet at night for the surgery pain. I have to admit that that does make me very comfortable and I am able to get at least 7 hours a sleep at night :!: That is rare for me and it makes the day so much more enjoyable and I have less pain when I sleep all night :wink: I will be talking to my doctor about the tramadol and see what ohter options I have. I do want to mention that there is a form of tramadol that is extended release. It releases through out the time it is in your system. Those worked a little better for me; however, there are no generic forms for the extended release so I had to stop taking them, to expensive :cry: Let me know what you think after you have taken them for a bit :wink:

cherokee993
01-28-2009, 10:21 PM
It is amazing how things vary from person to person. I have taken tramadol and it did not help, it did at first before the pain got worse but now does not help. I cannot take NSAIDs b/c of my stomach, I had gastric bypass and while it did wonders for my life, I can't tolerate harsh meds. Vicodin works well for the pain but like you its rough taking narcotics and I can't take them while working so its hard to find something that really helps.

Good luck in your search!

Cupcakelove
02-06-2009, 01:56 AM
I have tried Tramadol before. Basically this is a pain medication that is a non-opiate. It is suppose to be non-addicting, but I have heard otherwise.

I only took it once and it made me feel really odd, like a tingly feeling in my whole body and then i had flank pain, so I didnt take it anymore.

I got it once from the ER because I have severe issues with pain as I have interstitial cystitis.

I can understand dr's not wanting to get their patients addicted to pain medications, but I do believe most chronic pain patients use their meds wisely. It is the ones that use the medications for other reasons besides pain that make dr's weary of them...It is sad to know that doctors out there have to refrain from giving Chronic pain patients meds because of ignorant, selfish people.

I take pain medication, but not daily. I only take it when I am in dire need. I am even on disability, which says alot. But I still am very stubborn about them. But I take them when I need them.

I wish you luck in finding a good doctor to help get your pain under control.

kukukajoo
02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Tramadol is synthetic narcotic like drug that acts on opiate receptors. Those with narcotic allergies can have reactions to this. I can't take it as I get a nasty rash, and narcotics are off limits for me as well.

Has anyone had success with neurontin?

Angel Oliver
02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Can i just say ive just read this thread and have learnt something from you all so thanks. I'll be calling the doctor tmrw.

As you all know my jaw and teeth problems, well i thought the problems ive been having was due to the Lyrica......now i think its the Tramadol. Ive been on it since christmas and then i stopped it for a week. Ive started it again and well.....having major peeing problems and my stomach is very bloated and i can not pee. In fact yesterday i hardly got rid of any water.I sat there and knew i wanted to go....but just a sorry little trickle.Also, im still having pain lol...so they obviously are not doing the job. So....thanks everyone and sorry for being personal if your eating your food lol :) Ah maybe thats why i could'nt sleep too.mmmm.

Love
Angel.xxxx

Lizza
02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I was given a prescription of Neurotin (Gabapentin) and it doens't work at all for me and the next day after taking it I felt like a zombie! I could barely stay awake! But as for night time - still NO SLEEP, still had pain. I've heard from some that it works great but yeah just not me! Good luck to ya

Danica01
02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I am on Tramadol and I can not push out my pee!!!!! I know I have to go and I sit and wait.....nothing!

Can i just say ive just read this thread and have learnt something from you all so thanks. I'll be calling the doctor tmrw.

As you all know my jaw and teeth problems, well i thought the problems ive been having was due to the Lyrica......now i think its the Tramadol. Ive been on it since christmas and then i stopped it for a week. Ive started it again and well.....having major peeing problems and my stomach is very bloated and i can not pee. In fact yesterday i hardly got rid of any water.I sat there and knew i wanted to go....but just a sorry little trickle.Also, im still having pain lol...so they obviously are not doing the job. So....thanks everyone and sorry for being personal if your eating your food lol :) Ah maybe thats why i could'nt sleep too.mmmm.

Love
Angel.xxxx

mountaindreamer
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
hi cupcakelover,

My Interstitial Cystitis is the reason that I was first given Dilaudid. It is one of the few meds that gives relief for this kind of intense/unbearable pain. I am very careful not to use unless absolutely necessary. I do not want to become addicted, but more importantly, I do not want it to quit working.

preshad
03-16-2009, 11:11 PM
pain control
I have lived with lupus for 39 years. Along the way I have consulted many doctor. Some of who were osteopathic doctors. They taught me that acid foods in excess,such as grapefruits, tomatoes,oranges, ETC can add to my pain. Also taking a yoga class can help, pain clinics are very helpful too. also trying to avoid emotional stress as much as possible, can help with pain control.
You have to learn to pace your activities. and not over do We need exercise, but when you feel yourself getting tired, quit what you are doing, lay down and take a nap. This will help with fatigue, and keep you from throwing yourself into a lot of pain from overexertion Try using ice or heat for short peroids of time (what ever works best for you). This can help with pain control too. I have found for myself that good old Vix vapor rub does wonders for relieving pain in my knees, back and hands, and it is cheap too.
I have found that when the weather is changing and a storm or rain is approaching, my pain increases. Allso being exposed to the sun gives me joint pain.
Good luck in your efforts. God bless,
Preshad

preshad
03-16-2009, 11:21 PM
peeing problems. I have lived with lupus for 39 years. One of the problems I have lived with in connection to lupus is a type of bladder problem called, Interstitual cystitis. It differs from bacterial cystitis, because with regular cystitis(UTI bladder infections). Interstitual causes cramp like hurting, and hurts the most right after I have gone to the bathroom. If I have that awful beardown feeling, when peeing, or it feels like knives cuttung me, I know it os a regulat bladder infection, but if it doesn't hurt while I am peeing, but hurts after I am finished, and my bladder has relaxed, I know it is interstitual cystitis. I would aedvise you ro consult a Urologist ASAP. This is a doctor who treates bladder and kidney problems. He can help you if you are unable to pee.
Good luck. God bless
Preshad

mountaindreamer
03-17-2009, 06:07 AM
hi preshad,

that was a very accurate description of interstitial cystitis (IC). I stay away from all acidic foods/drinks, all fruit except pears, wine, and any seasoning on my food. the diet has helped a lot, but makes it difficult to get needed viatmins through my food.

my IC pain gets so bad, dilaudid is the only med that gives me relief.

gina
03-17-2009, 06:49 AM
I take tramadol for the pain, it does make me loopy so i only take it at home or at night. i get wierd dreams also and wake up alot durning nite on it. it does work for my pain. i think pain meds are different for everyone we are made up differntly so side affects are different also. good luck with it. :cute:

sick n tired
03-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey Ethandrew,

How are you doing now? Have you started the new meds?

My doctor is talking about me having a liver biopsy to see if I, too have ai hepatitis.

I hope that you are able to come up with something for the pain. I read what preshad said and I think I will try some of those suggestions.

allisonha.7079
07-09-2009, 05:15 AM
My grandma is on tramadol right now. Additionally she takes Cyclobenzaprine which I guess is Flexeril. I ordered cyclobenzaprine 10mg online (http://www.pillsforstress.com/Cyclobenzaprine.htm) for her because it is convenient to purchase it this way.
At the moment the medication helps her and I hope that this won't change prospectively.

justomegirlindallas
07-09-2009, 05:30 AM
I am on Tramadol and I can not push out my pee!!!!! I know I have to go and I sit and wait.....nothing!

Danica, this is a very serious problem that deserves prompt attention by a urologist. If not, your kidneys and bladder can be damaged over a 5 year time period requiring catheterization. I have something called Detrusor Sphincter Dyssynergia so oftentimes I need to pee and I have a hard time starting to pee and then the flow is really slow and I cannot empty my bladder all of the way. This was contributing to horrid kidney infections. I started taking a medicine called Flowmax and I can pee now with out issue.

You will have IC symptoms of you cannot pee, its very hard on the urological system... please go see a uro for that. Request Urodynamics testing

gina
07-09-2009, 05:48 AM
I take the tramidol. i like it i don't get the feeling of coming off a high. it does work. i have mild pain mostly in hips and back sometimes feet, so i don't take on regular basis. my pain also depends if i am flareing or not where it is and how strong it is. when its too bad i do take oxcodone.

you should try it and see if it works for you.
right now i don't take any other meds but that.

good luck:yes:

crmj1183
07-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Eathandrew,

My doctor prescribed me tramidol and for me it wasnt very helpful but you might be different and it may really help you. Maybe give it a shot and if it doesnt work try something different. Goodluck. I hope you feel better soon.

Chriss