PDA

View Full Version : Regarding getting a job...

Magnelay
12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure where this topic belongs... but here goes my first of a billion little questions I got =] Sorry if it's long...
I know I am only 17 and that my parents are still covering everything... but one of the benefit things (I don't know anything about this sort of stuff....) is ending in about three months. We are definitely short of money because the only person who really works in the family is my mom since literally all my family is sick, lol (We're one messed up family:D)
I feel ...obligated, maybe? To get some sort of job, something that pays, even if I just have enough to pay for the little things of my own that they normally would.
But there is a problem; I can not stand/walk for any real length of time. I'm sure a lot of you have/are in the sort of predicament, eh?
What kind of job have you found that works for you? and more specifically... what kinds of jobs out there could work and that a 17 y/o still in grade 10 do?

kducks
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi, I'm not sure how the system works up in Canada but I was diagnosed at 17 and was able to get on disability here in the states at 19. You don't need it for the health care like I did, but it might help bring some money in to help your family. I tried to get a job and only ended up getting more sick in the long run, so my advice is you might want to try to focus on your health right now and see if you can get some help from the government. Good luck!

Hugs,
Kim

hatlady
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Magnelay;

I'm not sure of the Canadian system either...in the States we have the "Americans with Disabilities Act" (ADA) that provides some help to those with challenges who want to work.

If you do want to work while you're still in school, maybe you can look for something in phone customer service or order taking. Or a data entry or clerical type job. Those would allow you to sit while working, and have limited physical issues. Look for a part time job - not too many hours at first, so that you can ease into it.

Around here, I've found that hospitals are a good place for people who have physical issues - they deal with our issues all the time, and can sometimes be a bit more understanding. Cities and public sector as well.

And keep studying, Magnelay, the more education you have the easier it will be to find a career job in an area that will use your mind, not your physical abilities. Is there an area that interests you at this time? Maybe see if you can find a job in that area - and remember, any job, no matter how "simple" it may seem, can lead to something better and more interesting if only you treat it as a profession.

Hugs dear - you'll find someting.

Magnelay
12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys =]

I have tried to look for something like data entry but even for that you need to have graduated...
I know the importance of an education, although it took me the two years out of school due to illness to realize.

The only thing that I am debating as a future career is either photography or working with young children, I've always been around day cares due to my mom working there but I know I could never handle chasing little toddlers, but what about working with infants? I have already planned to at least volunteer when my mom's day care gets a section for kids under 1.5 years.

Too many people ask me what I want to do when I graduate... It's only about time I start thinking about it seriously, but it's so hard to figure out what you are capable of without trying... but how can you try when there is so little opportunity and the fact no one trust you to do anything because you don't look/sound capable?

(Sorry if that didn't all make sense, I haven't been making sense all day =] and again, thanks for replying=] )

jaideni
12-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi working with a small group of babies might be a good idea . Also, well I dont know if they do this in Canada but my daughter had two different private teachers, one was for speech therapy and the other was like an overall development teacher who was also a real teacher for a day job. It seems like it would be a good career choice for people who like to work with kids but not too many and not too much. They would come to your home or meet you at a library or something so that they could work with one child at a time, plus they pretty much controlled their schedules and if youre feeling sick one day you could just reschedule if I wasnt dead set on becoming a pharmacist I would try one of these careers. As far as working right now, I cant tell you I know I cant stand up or walk for long nor stay awake so theres pretty much nothing I can do right now, but I am in school so maybe I can change that and provide income for me and my daughter. The more education you get the better chances for you to get one of those kinds of jobs that allow you the schedule flexibility needed when dealing with illnesses. I hope you are feeling well and that you get off to a better start than I did. Keep at it

sits_inthe_corner
12-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Hi Magnelay

What type of job you can handle is going to be a challenge. I did not start having sever problems untill alittle over two years ago.

I've symptoms since I was your age, but they where minor: butterfly rash, sensativity to sunlight, fatigue.

Just a few years ago I started having troubles walking and standing. Fortunately I had just switch careers to an office environment, which allows me to sit for a while, stand for awhile and walk around as needed.

I have a sympathetic manager who understands when I seem figgity that I'm really just doing what I need to do, which is move around.

I'm not fully diagnosed so any type of government support is out of the question for me.

I worked in a special needs daycare for 15 yrs. I would switch units every three years, from infant to toddler to preschool then back to infant.

Finally my body had enough and I retrained for office life. I miss working with children and dearly wish I could still do this. It's just not possible.

Where ever you work, let it be known that you need to switch activities, most people do whether they have a medical condition or not. No one should stay doing the same tasks for prolonged periods of time.

For me, having a purpose to get up and get out of the house is welcome. There are days I could do with out it :lol: but mostly it's a relief after I actually get moving.

If you are diagnosed, speak to someone at EI about employment programs. I believe there is a counsiling service that runs out of Halifax that helps to place people with medical conditions. They should be able to point you in the right direction. (as much as a government run organization is capable :P )

SassyAuburn
01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Magnelay, working with kids sounds like a great idea. Of course, you are right... the stamina and being around the germies might be an issue but think about this:

What if you worked with kids who have similar physical problems as you?

Can you imagine how much you could change a child or a teens life if you were to say to them, "I know how you feel today. I used to feel like that so much, and still do some days. Want to know what works for me?....."

As kids we never want to listen to the doctors when they tell us what we will be facing or what we need to do. We think, they haven't been through it, how can they tell me? But if the doctor had said to me, I want you to talk to this girl. Maybe she can give you some ideas or advice, I might not have felt so alone.

You can be a counselor on your terms in a facility that works with people with your conditions and not just give support but get it in return. Maybe that's your calling....

Hope this helps. :wink: