PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutions

Novastar
12-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Righto, so although I had a minor set back this morning with my first ever butterfly rash, I have decided that NO LONGER IS THIS LUPUS GOING TO BEAT ME!! I have accepted I have an illness, yes, I am obviously going to do things within the parameters my body sets me, however I am MOVING ON from wallowing in self pity, and I am setting some new years resolutions. So, here they are:

1 - 2009 is going to be the 'year of thin'. I am getting married this year (in August) and I am going to look damn good in my wedding dress, so I am going to start exercising (as much as I can anyway) and not eating the amount of crap I have been over this Christmas period...which leads me to
2- Sort out some kind of healthy eating programme. I have read somewhere that red meat and shellfish are not so good for the lupus sufferer, so for the entire month of January (at least) I am going to stick to white meat and white fish, and veggies. I am cutting back on white bread and refined sugars also...
3- I am going to cut down big time on episodes of self pity. Since being diagnosed I have had terrible mood swings, happy one minute but being tipped over the edge into a wild depression by the slightest thing - I am going to get a handle on my life and PULL MYSELF TOGETHER as it is not fair on my long-suffering fiance (he really is taking the brunt of everything at the moment - and dealing with it fantastically I might add, but for how long???)
4- I cant think of a 4th. Think that might do for now...what do you think? Anyone got any ideas what to add...or think I am being a little unrealistic??

Nova xx

sits_inthe_corner
12-28-2008, 07:09 AM
:D Novastar

Best thing you can do for yourself is ... do not set tight boundaries.

Yes!

- Eat healthy, more fruites nuts veggies. Cut back on the red meat but make sure you are getting the iron you need. There's a great recipe site called www.cookinglight.com also www.cooks.com

- look closely at how you prepare your food and change out snacks for healthier choices. The cookinglight site has some helpful tips on how to make "normal" meals in a healthier fashon.

- work out, low impact. Stationary bikes are great. Going for walks are great, swimming is fantastic, tread mill is okay so long as you don't jog highspeed on a sharp incline. You can break it out during the day. You do not need to work out for lump periods of time.

when I'm up to it, I work out for 20 minutes in the morning and go for a 15 minute walk on my lunch hour and work out again when I get home for 20 minutes. I take the weekends off for good behavior.

I have several affected joints so I have to do low impact.

- There is a difference between self pity and venting. You can NOT keep things bottled up or pretend that everything is okey dokey artichokie...stress is a BIG problem for people with lupus. Bottling up is not a good idea and can actually bring on a flare up.

Deal with things don't let them build. If there are things stressing you out, you need to look at them and decide...is this something I can do something about...if so, make some changes, if not let it go. Let a higher power deal with it.

Proper rest, good diet, rest when needed, STAY OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT when ever possible. Listen to your body.

Feel free to whine, we all have our pitty parades from time to time. Then we get over it and keep bumping along. We are hear to listen and support each other.

When you start working out, easy does it. Build gradually.

mountaindreamer
12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks sits in the corner,

You said exactly what needed to be said in order to remind all of us to love ourselves and treat our bodies with respect, not abuse.

Anger is a normal emotion, but we must try very hard not to be angry at our bodies....this is not our fault.

share a smile today,

Danica01
01-02-2009, 12:54 AM
I am so proud of you and the steps you are taking toward a more healthy and positive lifestyle :!: Remember this year is a time of joy and hope with the new beginnings you will be making with your mariage :D I agree with everyone else, keep talking to us and venting to us, that is what we are here for. Do not hold things in and you will find out soon how wonderful and blessed your life actually is , even with Lupus :wink: When are you getting married :?: I hope you can share a picture or two with us from the big day :wink:

Righto, so although I had a minor set back this morning with my first ever butterfly rash, I have decided that NO LONGER IS THIS LUPUS GOING TO BEAT ME!! I have accepted I have an illness, yes, I am obviously going to do things within the parameters my body sets me, however I am MOVING ON from wallowing in self pity, and I am setting some new years resolutions. So, here they are:

1 - 2009 is going to be the 'year of thin'. I am getting married this year (in August) and I am going to look *Holy Censor, Batman* good in my wedding dress, so I am going to start exercising (as much as I can anyway) and not eating the amount of crap I have been over this Christmas period...which leads me to
2- Sort out some kind of healthy eating programme. I have read somewhere that red meat and shellfish are not so good for the lupus sufferer, so for the entire month of January (at least) I am going to stick to white meat and white fish, and veggies. I am cutting back on white bread and refined sugars also...
3- I am going to cut down big time on episodes of self pity. Since being diagnosed I have had terrible mood swings, happy one minute but being tipped over the edge into a wild depression by the slightest thing - I am going to get a handle on my life and PULL MYSELF TOGETHER as it is not fair on my long-suffering fiance (he really is taking the brunt of everything at the moment - and dealing with it fantastically I might add, but for how long???)
4- I cant think of a 4th. Think that might do for now...what do you think? Anyone got any ideas what to add...or think I am being a little unrealistic??

Nova xx