PDA

View Full Version : Help! Relative critical condition/Lupus related

sunnygirl
12-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for any information anyone may have regarding Lupus and lung inflammation. My husband's father is currently in ICU and docs are trying to figure out what is wrong with him. He has had lupus for many years and they think it is related.

He was admitted last weekend and progressively got worse. Now he is being kept alive on a ventilator. They say all his organs/including his lungs are in fine condition, but something is keeping his lungs inflamed. They are doing a biopsy on Monday. No one seems to have ANY idea what this could be. They gave him steroids for three days but no improvement yet. He developed a staff infection from the IV but now that is under control, too. He is not improving and they canít keep him on the ventilator for much longer. Even moving him to do the biopsy could kill him. None of the treatments are working. I'm sorry if I seem completely clueless, that is because I am with this. I just want to find out as much as a can. The docs can only do so much.

Any ideas???

Thank you

sits_inthe_corner
12-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Gentle hugs to you and your family sunnygirl

You're father in-law is where he needs to be. Lupus attackes the body's organs as it pleases. My best understanding is that our own immune systems are out of control and will treat our organs like a disease that doesn't belong.

The doctor's are aware of his condition and I'm sure they are doing their best to gain control over it.

This is a nasty disease and very difficult to fight. You're own body becomes the enemy. Steroids are one of the weapons used to try and stem the effects....saddly there is no fool proof way of battling lupus.

I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers, I'm sure the others will be alone soon with more information and support.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. This is a very informative group of people here and a wonderfully supportive site.

sunnygirl
12-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Thank you for your comment. He took a turn for the worse last night and now they are giving him a last-resort treatment, but it is so toxic it could kill him. They say he has 10% chance to make it and only 12 hours to live.

NoodleMom
12-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Im so sorry. Huggs.

Kasey

Saysusie
12-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi, I am checking in to see how your father-in-law is doing? Lupus does cause inflammation in the lungs, particularly inflammation of the sac around the lungs (pleurisy), with or without fluid (effusion) inside this sac, and is often treated with high doses of Prednisone. Is this the drug that they are using in order to treat his lung problems.

Lupus can cause many lung problems including:
* Inflammation of the lungs. Lupus pneumonitis can come on suddenly or slowly. It has many of the same symptoms of pneumonia.
* A burst blood vessel (hemorrhage) in the lungs.
* A blood clot in the artery going to the lungs.
* Contraction of the blood vessels in the lungs.
* Shrinking lung syndrome. The scarring of the lungs due to long standing inflammation decreases the lungs' capacity to take in air. It seems that the lungs can no longer hold normal amounts of air.

Please let us know how he is doing and what treatment has been used.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
12-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi sunnygirl,

I send angels to you and your family. I hope your father-in-law is able to pull through this. Please let us know.

phyllis

sits_inthe_corner
12-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Hugs and welcome back Saysusie,

I was hoping you'd see this one. You're a wealth of information.

sunnygirl, I'm sorry to hear your father in-law has had a bad turn. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Saysusie
12-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank You and and Happy New Year SITC!!

I am so hoping that Sunnygirl's father-in-law is OK and that we hear from her soon. <anxious>

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sunnygirl
12-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone. Thank you for your comments. I really do appreciate it.

I spent the day doing research into Lupus and learned about Pleurisy, etc, and how it has similar symptoms as Pneumonia. When he was admitted they thought he had Pneumonia. Then that supposedly went away. I just don't know what to think. I hope the doctors didn't get confused in the beginning, but it is not worth thinking about that now.

They are now just waiting to see the results of the chemo drug and the plasma exchange. He is still clinging to life.

Thank you all for offering your support. You are all so sweet. I will keep you posted with updates as soon as I hear more. I am getting all my info from my hubby who is with him in on the other side of the country.

mountaindreamer
12-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Hi sunnygirl,

Thank you for the update.....my prayers continue to be said for you and your family,

Saysusie
12-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Sunnygirl;
We are keeping you, your husband, your father-in-law and all of your families in our thoughts and our prayers.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Angel Oliver
12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Sending you my thought s and prayers.xxx

Love Angel.xxx

Danica01
01-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I am thinking about you tonight and sending you and your family well wishes. Be strong and keep talking to us and we will all be here for you.