PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis Confirmed

BonusMom
12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I went to the rheumy for all of my test results and was diagnosed with primary SLE and secondary Sjogren's. I was given a prescription for Plaquenil and instructed to take Omega 3 (fish oil) and Vitamin D-2000 IU daily as research is indicating that many people with AI disorders have a Vitamin D deficiency. My rheumy also suggested that I consider omitting wheat from my diet for the same reason. I'm bummed, but relieved at the same time, to know what is wrong with me. I only hope the Plaquenil provides relief, without the unpleasant side effects. As to the retinal arterioles narrowing, rheumy says that it's part of SLE.

Thank you everyone, for your support while I was waiting for test results/diagnosis.

rob
12-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Hi Bonusmom,

Well, nobody wants to be diagnosed with Lupus, but now that you have an answer, you can start working on treating it and keeping it under control. Plaquenil is really effective in alot of people. Negative side effects are possible, but not likely. Just make sure you have an opthamologist check your eyes every few months. Retinal damage is a possible, but rarely seen side effect. I does take the drug some time to begin working, so you will need to be patient and keep taking it. The times vary from person to person, but for most people it takes maybe 3 or 4 months to work, but when it does, it works really well.

I know what you mean about being bummed and relieved at the same time. I think that's the way most of us felt upon learning we had Lupus. Getting a diagnosis can be a real nightmare, as I'm sure you know. You can now breathe a sigh of relief that this hurdle is now behind you.

Rob

BonusMom
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Rob-

I just realized that I never thanked you for responding to my post. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness and insight.

Lana

Angel Oliver
01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Sending you love n hugs.

Angel.xx

iseedeadmonkeys
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
what does primary sle mean then?
how would one know their owns stage?

sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with sle

welcome to the club.........oops i mean forum :D

KathyW1958
01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Lana,
I just read your post that they confirmed your diagnosis. I too have SLE, Lupus and Secondary Sjogrens. I have been on medication for years for this illness. Plaquenil is an excellent drug of choice for both Lupus and Sjogrens. Like Rob said that the Plaquenil can take up to 5 months to get fully into your system. I hope that they get you under control and that everything goes well for you.

Hugs,
Kathy