PDA

View Full Version : Massage therapy for SLE

Massage guy
03-30-2005, 06:22 PM
I have been recently asked to provide massage therapy to a lupus client and have no experience with lupus. My pathology books indicate massage is contraindicated during acute stages or flareups, which I understand, similar to MS. However, are there circumstances in which a client now experienceing extreme immobility and pain in at least one leg could benefit by some type of massage?? My thoughts were that massage delivered with tenderness and patience would provide some physical and emotional relief to non-acute areas of the body.

Your experiences? :?:

Blond-e
03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello,

I have had massages in the past and have found them to be relaxing and refreshing. I didn't have any adverse reactions from them until my latest one. I had one a couple weeks ago and ended up with a swollen back. I get hives, but not usually from massages. This time, however, I did... but only on my back even though the massage was a full body massage. Strange but true! It won't stop me from going again though.

Saysusie
04-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Massage Guy;
I would take my daughter for full body massages when she was in her flares and she said that they were wonderful!! Especially, like you said, when the therapist was tender and knowledgable about lupus joint and muscle pain.
I WOULD NOT recommend deep tissue massages......

Thank You For Providing something so needed for those of us who live with pain!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie