PDA

View Full Version : Question about soy

mountaindreamer
12-18-2008, 07:54 AM
I have read a couple of posts speaking of soy as an enemy of Lupus. Please provide additional information because so many things are soy based.

Thanks in advance,
Phyllis

iseedeadmonkeys
12-18-2008, 08:29 AM
what is soy anyway? is it like soya? or that fish sauce?

hatlady
12-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Soy is in lots of things - especially vegetarian "meats" Also shows up as TVP and a bunch of other names. Also soy oil is a common vegitable oil.

Amazingly, what we call Soy Sauce in the US is made with about as much wheat as soy. And of course a TON of salt.

Soybeans are a staple crop - a member of the bean family that has a LOT of protein and (good) fats in it. Used a lot in animal feeds as well.

The other thing soy has a lot of - - estrogen like hormones. Many women use it in place of HRT when they're going through menopause. Where I've had problems is .... when I eat too much of it I HURT. The hormones can make me get a bit flare-y.

I'm sure Saysusie can give us more technical data on it - but that's about all I can give!

iseedeadmonkeys
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Excellent thanx for the info, and who woulda thought my day would turn into a bean day :lol:

mountaindreamer
12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks Hatlady,

I ate about two palms of soy beans yesterday, and then remembered some questions about it that I saw on the posts.

Thanks for responding. I will keep clear (just in case)

Share a smile today