PDA

View Full Version : Baked Beans

iseedeadmonkeys
12-18-2008, 05:53 AM
What bean is used for the common baked bean? and why are there so many of them, what country do they originate from? and who thought of putting them in a tomatoe sauce and tinning them?

Im having a radom thinking day, hope someone can help me

x 0X

hatlady
12-18-2008, 06:25 AM
:lol: A great mind twister for the morning!

Where did they originate? Who knows. Boston claims them - it is know as "bean town."

I've always used the smallish white navy beans

I bet if you looked in Wikipedia you'd find a lot of random thinking wonderment!

Have a great day, iseedeadmonkeys, and someday, can you explain where you got your moniker???

hugs~

rob
12-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Baked beans are big here in Maine, that's probably why there's a big hole in the ozone layer over out state. We use navy beans and the sauce here has alot of molasses in it. Bacon too. Nothing like a lobster roll with a side of baked beans. You can actually get a lobster roll with baked beans at McDonalds here. Kinda funny. Anyway, I'm wondering too Iseedeadmonkeys, where did your unique moniker come from?

Rob

iseedeadmonkeys
12-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Lobster roll with baked beans in maccy ds? hmm now that sounds unique, over here in the uk when we was kids there was this kids toy called alakart kitchen and the main meal they served was swiss roll with baked beans i always wanted one of those i will try it one day when im really bored lol, :shock:

iseedeadmonkeys comes from my friend who i dont see very much anymore, one night when we wasnt sober, she told me a story of a mini marching band of miniture dead monkeys, and the rest is history :D i hope that sorta explains the use of my name 0X x

rob
12-18-2008, 07:54 AM
A miniature marching band of dead monkeys you say. Wow, I wanna party with you! I've had a few crazy "less than sober" moments in my younger days. There was this one night in Vegas that involved alot of tequila, some circus animals, and an Elvis impersonator...

I'll have to plead the 5th at this point! McDonalds here has these "regional" dishes in some places. Like if you go down to Boston, they have clam chowder. McD's lobster rolls aren't very good though. There's this pub on the waterfront in Belfast called Murphy's, they have the best lobster rolls, and instead of beans, you get bacon wrapped scallops on the side. Add a pint of Sam Adams, or Guinness, and you're all set. Great stuff!

mountaindreamer
12-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll join in on regional McDonald's food.....while in Hiwaii for a family wedding, I found spam and eggs at McDonald's....this was more than I could imagine, so I did not try.

Laughs in the am.....what a fun group.

Danica01
12-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I needed this this morning! You all sure do know how to put a smile on my face :wink: Beans do crazy things to me and my gut and I would have stayed away from spam and eggs too :D Off to the hospital and I think I will probably be thinking about beans as I fall a sleep LOL :angel:

iseedeadmonkeys
12-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Hmmm i feel all left out now, our maccy ds is plain borin to yours lol i dont like the breakfasts they serve up coz the hash browns are all greasy and leave a strange metalic taste in your mouth for the rest of the day, i dont like the idea of eat a burger sized sausage either (autistic? ocd?) lol i dont eat md's very often prob once a month around payday time, i love big macs or them enormous burgers you get with cheese etc, i prefer a burger king tho lol, ive never heard of a lobster roll like i say, but im thinking about it now and it sounds very appealing, belfast ireland?, x

iseedeadmonkeys
12-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Btw Rob your vegas trip sounds funny to me :D maybe you could tell us about it some time? 0X

hatlady
12-18-2008, 09:05 AM
:lol: What a fun post this has been!

I've heard that Micky D's (what we call it in the midwestern US) has regional foods in many areas and countries - for example a meatless burger in India. Wish we could get the lobster rolls here - about all I ever get there is the salad - -which they do very well!

And....... Rob and I-see -- you two know how to party! 8)

rob
12-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Iseedeadmonkeys,

Actually, Belfast Maine. It's a small fishing community not far from me. As most of the ancestry of people in Maine has Irish roots, my own included, many of the towns here have Irish names. Belfast, Bangor, Donegal are a few. Anyway, for the un-initiated, a lobster roll is a Maine dish consisting of a New England style hot dog bun which is like a little loaf of bread sliced down the middle. It's grilled and filled with a mixture chopped lobster meat, usually the claw, and a sauce that most people and restaurants guard the recipe for like it was a state secret. It's kind of a mayo/tartar sauce type of stuff. Pretty tasty. Oh, and the Vegas thing, well you know what they say. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Rob

P.S. Danica, I read your bean comment. I guess it's safe to say there's a big hole in the ozone layer over Phoenix too.