PDA

View Full Version : About a Soldier

rob
12-14-2008, 10:32 AM
EDIT-23 MAY 09

In honor of Memorial Day, I'm bumping this thread to the top. It's the story of one of my best friends who was killed in action in Iraq on 14 DEC 07.

We can never forget the debt we owe to those who have given their lives in defense of our country. Post #1 is about what happened. If you scroll

down to post #7, you'll find a short biography. Some gave all.

Hi Everyone,

Today, is a tough day for a family here in my community, and for the friends of that family. One year ago today, my friend Jon, was killed in action in Mosul, Iraq. He was 39, and in his 19th year of service in the U.S. Army. He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star for his actions on that day. He was the father of two boys, they are of gradeschool age.

Flags here, are at half staff far too often. Flags are at half staff today to honor the 1 year anniversary of his death. Today, going to the ceremony and seeing those flags lowered for someome I've known since childhood, is a difficult thing to see, or even describe. To see two young boys, each hugging a folded American flag, knowing their father is gone, is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen.

I would ask all of you, to not forget about our military men and women serving in harms way around the world. Especially this time of year when the homesick feeling of being a world away from home and family is at it's worst. And, if you are one who prays, could you please say a prayer for the family of Sgt. 1st Class Jonathan A. Lowery, my friend.

Rob

KathyW1958
12-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Rob,
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I will have him and his family in my prayers and I will also have you in my prayers. Gentle hugs to you my friend.

Kathy

hatlady
12-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Gentle hugs, rob, and may his memory live on in your heart, as it will in the hearts of all who knew him.

mountaindreamer
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Gentle hugs from me too Rob.

I am so very sorry for your loss. A friend's love should be carried through life, not so violently interrupted.

And yes, our military should be honored and treated as thr heroes they are...as well as their families.

Prayers for you and your friend's family,
Phyllis

Danica01
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Rob,

I am so sorry for your loss and I know this time of year is difficult for families of soldiers who are away and for those who will never come home. I always think about how homesick I would be and how much better a simple silly card would make feel. I sent out Christmas cards to soldiers this year and this is the web site if anyone else would like to look at it:

http://www.anysoldier.com/

Thank you for bringing up such an important issue and again I am so sorry for your loss and I am sending you gentle hugs and thoughts of
peace tonight.

Danica

Saysusie
12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Rob;
Thank you for sharing with us how this moment and this friend has affected you. I know that remembering the loss of someone so dear, especially at this time of year, can be so emotionally taxing. You are in my thoughts and the family of your dear friend is in my prayers.
Like Danica01, I am sending post cards to our troops. The website was sent to me by a friend and I'm glad that Danica01 posted it here.
Sending you warm hugs of understanding.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
12-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers. This has really affected alot of people here. Jon, was something straight out of a recruiting office poster. A very tough, but very fair guy. In high school, he would not ever, even once, engage in putting someone else down, even if they had done it to him. He would just say "opinions vary", or just say that these things happen, it's no big deal. Nobody was surprised when either of us joined the Army after high school. We were surprised, when Jon became an NCO and applied for Drill Sgt. School. The most quiet, softspoken guy in the world is going to be a D.S..

A few thousand recruits later, he was a model for other aspiring Drill Sgt's to emulate. There were soldiers who had him as their D.S. ten, fifteen years ago at the funeral last December. Men who had him as a D.S. and had not seen him since basic, yet he made such an impression on them, that all these years later, they remembered him like it was just yesterday.

When we were kids, we used to play army out in the woods behind my parents house. We dug a bunch of foxholes, and had one heck of a treefort (you never call it a treehouse, it's a fort) in the back yard. We shot cap guns and threw mud grenades at imaginary enemies, always winning at the end of the day. When I attended the funeral last December, the procession drove right by my parents old house, and the tree fort and tree it was in was gone, but those foxholes we dug nearly 30 some years ago, were still there, and I could see them as we drove by.

If someone had told us then, that our generation would see a new Pearl Harbor, and that one of us would die fighting in the aftermath of that attack and the war that would soon follow, we would have laughed. We were bulletproof ten year-olds. I wish that could have been true. Thanks for listening to me everyone.

Rob

mountaindreamer
12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
What a beautiful tribute that you just presented, Rob. Thank you for reminding me how precious friendships are...and when you lose a friend, you loose such an important part of your life.

How wonderful to have the memories that you have, and thank you for sharing them with us.

Friends,
Phyllis

Saysusie
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree, Rob, that was a beautiful story and a wonderful tribute. What wonderful memories to be able to draw upon when you think of your friend. It is amazing how many lives we touch as we progress through our own journey. Your friend touched lives in so many ways, I feel honored that you have chosen to share him with us. Thank You for that.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

coltsfan
12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
God Bless you Rob. And also your friends family. I was a military wife for a few years during the first Iraq war. Every prayer means the world to a loved one who is separated and lonely. You will be in my prayers as will all of our soldiers and sailors.

mnjodette
12-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Your memories of your friend made him come to life in my mind. What a great story, and what a good friend you were to him to honor him by sharing that memory.

I'm glad to have the 'anysoldier' website. I've been meaning to send cards, and haven't done that. I know they'll be late, but I'm sending them off anyway. I'm grateful for acts of heroism, both small and large, that every member of our armed forces performs.

rob
05-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Bumped to the top for Memorial Day.

froggal
05-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Rob, what a wonderful way to honor the memory of your friend. What an honorable thing that he did . . . defending our country. Thanks for reminding us that freedom really is not free. So often those who fight to keep us free are forgotten. In tribute to your friend, I will make a donation to the adopt-a-unit at our VFW. The money goes to units that we have adopted, in every branch of service, that are serving in Iraq. We use it to send them things they need, and probably some things that they dont! You would be shocked at some of the service people who dont have anyone at home sending them care packages or writing letters. Thank you for sharing that amazing story and thank you for your service too! :usa2:

Rastagirl
05-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm glad you bumped this back up here, Rob...a great way to honor the memory of your close friend.

I'll pray today for Sgt. 1st Class, Jonathan A. Lowery, and for his family and friends that LOVE him. It is an honor to know him name, hear his story and be able to honor his ultimate sacrifice for his Country.

I'm sorry you had to lose your best friend too soon...thanks for sharing such an important part of your life with us.

Fondly,

Lori :usa2:

magistramarla
05-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Rob,
I agree with Lori that it is very, very important that we keep honoring the names of our lost heroes. Too often, we just hear the statistics and become rather numbed to hearing them. You've done a beautiful job of showing how those statistics have real people and real families behind them.
Marla

tiggerlishus - Heidi
05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Hay rob what a wonderful story of friendship and sad story to of an unneccary ending to a life too soon yet again!! thank you soo much for bring this thread to the top so i could see it!!
as you well know this story touches my heart as my dad was out there two years before he went back to the states to die on the road but i worried about him every day he was out there and know how hard they all worked out there to give us the freedom to walk around our streets may they be over here across the big pond in little uk or in the big wide usa and i am grateful to them every one from the soliders on the front line to the people like my dad was civi's out there doing thier bit xxx
i just wisish there was more supposrt over here for them as there is in the states i was looking at doing one of those package where you put ketchup sashas in and little thing they can't get out there but its soo difficult to that over here but we will get tere one day and hopefully we won't need to do it for much longer xx
well sending love to everyone who know some one in a war zone or has lost some one due to a war xxxxx
heres little pic of my dad when he was out in afgan!

Angel Oliver
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Rob thats lovely what you have done and your friend and everyone serving their country will all be remembered.

love
Amanda.xx

mountaindreamer
05-24-2009, 08:57 AM
thanks for reminding us of this story....i agree with others, every day we should thank our service personnel and their families. your creative writing enabled me to envision your little community honoring the fallen soldier, and his sons engulfing the true meaning of everything. again, thanks.

i have a question...the date on the initial post is 2/14/2008, and i responded, but i did not join the forum until dec. 2008....am i missing something, or is this a glitch?

rob
05-24-2009, 02:04 PM
thanks for reminding us of this story....i agree with others, every day we should thank our service personnel and their families. your creative writing enabled me to envision your little community honoring the fallen soldier, and his sons engulfing the true meaning of everything. again, thanks.

i have a question...the date on the initial post is 2/14/2008, and i responded, but i did not join the forum until dec. 2008....am i missing something, or is this a glitch?

Hmmm, for me it says my original post date is 12-14-08, not 2-14-08. If it actually says 2-14-08 for you something is wrong, if not, you may have just mis-read the date. Let me know.

mountaindreamer
05-24-2009, 03:02 PM
jeesh,,,,i need to get my eyes checked.... you are right, it is 12 not 2....duh, having one of those moments....maybe i should wait until tomorrow to pay bills....i would probably make a major mistake.

thanks rob, again for sharing your story.

Pearl
05-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Rob I missed your first post, but I am so glad you bumped it so that I could read it today. It is a beautiful story. I pictured you playing army. I saw you laying your friend to rest as his children clung to the stars and stripes. I cried.

Thank you for your service. You honor the memory of your friend by posting this story here. I will pray for his family today.

Jana

Delphinia981
05-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Such a sad, but all-too-familiar story. So many of our boys and girls give their lives to keep us safe...the ultimate sacrifice that they are all too willing to take on themselves. I hold those in Our Armed Forces in the highest regard. Like I said in another post...Memorial Day should be a year-round celebration.

Rob, so sorry for the loss of your friend. I know this must be a hard time for you. I'm quite sure he's smiling on you today and always. Bless you both.

rob
05-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

My friend Jon knew the deal, he knew the risks involved. He volunteered to go back for another tour in Iraq-he would not have allowed himself to be anywhere else in the world, other than where his men were. He was a true professional, and one of the finest soldiers I've ever had the honor of knowing. What he faced in his final days, was unimaginable. His conduct, and actions-the last actions of his life, saved the lives of others, and showed such a level of courage...

For men such as this, Uncommon Valor, is a Common Virtue.

Thank you for reading his story everyone.

Rob

Saysusie
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Rob;
I, too, am so glad that you bumped this back to the top for this memorial day. I can feel your pride for him in your words and I feel honored that you choose to share him with us. I know that you miss your dear friend, especially since he was such an uncommonly brave and virtuous person.
Knowing about him, through you, fills me with a sense of pride and honor to have knowledge of such a person. Thank You, again, for sharing Jon with us.

Always
Saysusie