PDA

View Full Version : EXTREMELY abnormal bloodwork

palmtree
12-11-2008, 05:18 PM
hi all, I am really worried because I am supposed to be leaving on a plane tomorrow to go overseas...and so yesterday I made an appt with my rhuemy to make sure everything was ok to go on my trip...i got some bloodwork done, and today when I went to pick up my results this is what i see: (keep in mind my dr. did not interpret this for me bc he hasnt called me, but in his defense not all my blood tests were finsihed processing yet)

Creatine Kinase: 7312*....no that is not a typo
CK isoenzymes:
-MM Band: 77% Post MM = 19
-MB Band: 4%
-BB Band: %

Sodium 140
Potassium 4.1
Chloride 96*
Carbon Dioxide 31*
Urea Nitrogen 14
estimated GFR 125
Calcium 8.3*
total protein 6.1*
albumin 3.0*
bilirubin total <0.1*
AST 483*
ALT 378*
alkaline phosphatase 54

sorry for all the numbers and medical terminology...i am just extremly stress and dont know what to think of these results, I have an early flight tomorrow =(... the numbers that have a star (*) next to them indicate that they are abnormal

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice ya'll may have...it would be greatly appreciated!

Oluwa
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Palmtree...

I am not sure about your results. I compared them to mine and the lab results and the ones you have an asterisk by fall into the normal range according to my Lab.

The only ones that are out of range..high according to my Lab ranges are AST, ALT and Creatinine.

Your lab report should include a range of numbers (reference range) that identifies what is expected for you based on your age, sex, and the method used in that laboratory.

I could tell you what those three tests are for..

ALT and AST are tests for liver disease.
Creatinine kidney function.

Hope this helps...

Be well,
Oluwa

palmtree
12-15-2008, 09:17 AM
thought i would give an update...My doctor did contact me, he just basically said that in a nutshell my liver & kidney enzymes were abnormal, and my creatine kinase enzyme was also very elevated - which means that my muscles are breaking down/becoming weak....since I am outta town he told me to double my dosage of prednisone from 10 mg to 20 mg =( and then when I get back, he said that i should think about taking Imuran...not sure what that medication is for though. I just figured i would post an update if anyone else ever finds themselves in a similar situation.

KathyW1958
12-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Palmtree,
My name is Kathy. I am on Imuran and have been for years due to the same problem with these types of results and the muscle enzymes. Imuran is a very good drug. You know though there are precautions that you have to take while on this drug, because it is an immunosuppressor. You have to try to avoid being around anyone that is sick with a virus or bacteria. I don't seem to have any problems with side affects. I hope that if they put you on this medication that it does ok for you. Post and let us know ok.

Hugs,
Kathy

iseedeadmonkeys
12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Can you just ask for your blood results like that as a list?
ive never asked them tbh they either tell me the good news or the bad and explain it to me that way, than x

palmtree
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Palmtree,
My name is Kathy. I am on Imuran and have been for years due to the same problem with these types of results and the muscle enzymes. Imuran is a very good drug. You know though there are precautions that you have to take while on this drug, because it is an immunosuppressor. You have to try to avoid being around anyone that is sick with a virus or bacteria. I don't seem to have any problems with side affects. I hope that if they put you on this medication that it does ok for you. Post and let us know ok.

Hugs,
Kathy

thanks kathy,

thats a really good point about being more susceptible to infection since the Imuran weakens the immune system.. that part worries me, but I assume the benefit outweighs the risk (hopefully)....I have a question for you: I noticed that you are on the celiac diet? How has that helped you? I am curious because i myself think that I may have some sensitivity to gluten. hope all is well, and many thanks for the input!

-jasmine

KathyW1958
12-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Jasmine,
I am on the Celiac Diet and I think that it does indeed help with the diarrhia problems and the stomach pains. I am also finally losing weight and I don't have the bloated and gassy problem either. The diet is very hard to follow though and you have to really watch what you eat. I hope that this helps.

Hugs,
Kathy

mountaindreamer
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I am interested in learning about the Celiac Diet. I have been on a very strict diet for IC for years....am willing to try this one.

Thanks,

palmtree
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
mountaindreamer,

i have attempted to follow the celiac (gluten-free) diet, and Kathy said it perectly...it is sooooo hard to follow. firt of all, gluten is in oats, wheat, barely, and rye......the problem is the hidden sources of gluten and the difficulty in finding "convenience" foods or finding a restuarant that has gluten-free options, but thats just from my experience....i am interested to see if following a gluten-free diet is helpful with SLE patients... keep me posted if u find out anything =)

mountaindreamer
12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Palmtree,

My dauhter is knowledgeable on this type of diet (I just was not familiar with the proper name). I will speak with her and see if she thinks she can help us try the diet. I don't know if I can do it either, but it is worth a try.

I keep you posted,