PDA

View Full Version : Pain Medication

Danica01
12-10-2008, 07:22 PM
So, I have been tinking and trying to figure out what to do on the subject of managing pain and what to take. The doctor has put me on Ultram, extended release, and it does not really seem to tak away a lot of the pain. I have recently been put on vicodin and of course this helps. I do not take it through out the day just at the end of the day so that I can get some pain free sleep. I have also used Celebrex and Flexeril in the past and the pain is never fully gone. I just wan to sleep ALL night! I know if I get behind on my sleep I will develop a flare which, you all know, can get pretty out of control. :(

I have always had a hard time taking narcotics. I always have the fear I will become addicted and need them. I have brought this up with my doctor and a therapist over the years. They all answer me the same way. This is what they say:

If I was diabeticI would need insulin to function and to stay healthy. Someone with chronic pain needs to be on some form of pain management. We need to have relief like diabetics need their insulin.

Therefore, they always tell me to not worry about it and yes, I will need some form of pain medication for the rest of my life. :?

I just do not know how I feel about this. I know I am much more confortable when I do take the pain medication at night and I sleep better which resluts in over all feeling better the next day. I just do not want to become dependent or is that just a part of Lupus and dealing with it?

Thank you all so much for helping me sort this question out :angel:

mountaindreamer
12-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Danica01,

I struggle with the same debate. I tried Ultram when I was only diagnosed with FMS. It did not work. Years later, I finally gave in and filled a prescription for Dilaudid. With the same fears as you, I have been very careful and only take it at night if the pain is keeping me from sleeping. If I take during the day, it is only because of extreme pain. My thoughts.....if I don't get a good night sleep, then I will assuradly have a flare, then I will have to take meds to get through the day. the best of two evils, I guess.

Unlike insulin for a diabetic. narcotics begin to not work as well, and people then need higher doses and more frequently. So, i disagree with your dr., but I do agree with the meds.

share a smile today,

Danica01
12-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me. It is such a fine line we have to walk :? We want to do what is best across the board but we don't want to be in pain! I guess it is something we each personally have to deal with as it comes and goes! Thank you again for your response and support!

rob
12-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi Danica,

I have to disagree with your Dr's philosophy. Insulin is not a mind altering drug capable of causing physical addiction. But, I think your thoughts are the best way to approach this. You are aware of, and are very cautious about taking a potentially addictive medication, and that's good. I'm very cautious with drugs like this, and I do have a Dr. who is very good about not passing the stuff out like it was candy. That being said, if you need relief from pain, then that's what this stuff is for, and it certainly does help alot of people. I think as long as you remain aware of the potential hazards with these meds, you will be fine.

Rob

P.S. I had to laugh at the rather ironic avatar you have. It's a snowflake, and you are in Phoenix! Kinda funny.

Danica01
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I was actually born in Alaska and I grew up in northern Ohio..............I MISS THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss looking at it, not driving in it, not fighting to stay warm......just the quiet peaceful first fall! Thanks for your insight on how I am feeling. I just want to do what is right and be comfy at the same time :)

Y.T.
01-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I take three hydrocodone a day, but I only take half in the morning, half at noon, and depending on my pain level one full at three, and the last full before I go to bed, with an added xanax.. Not taking sleeping meds anymore.. Who really knows?

cptnblah
01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
First of all...I hate the snow. I am now living in it and want out west somewhere where it is warn with low humidity. Now that I got that off of my chest LOL...

There are patches out there that have lydocain (bad spelling) in them. So they are nonnarcodic (there goes the spelling again) and you do not have to worry about getting hooked. My ex use to have them and they work good. The only problem is that they are expensive. Of course anything that helps and that also does not harm you would be. With my BCBS it was going to be $100 for a month. After they gave my heart a jump start, I told them to put them back.

Good Luck

cptnblah
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
OOOps...the patches are for local pain like the knees and such.

Danica01
01-31-2009, 11:07 PM
I have actually tried the patches when my skin was hurting and they were pretty good. I did have a horrible burning sensation after I took them off and the doctor thought I might be having an allergic reaction......so, no more patches for me :cry: I realized now that I am actually getting some sleep, the pain is a little bit better :wink: