PDA

View Full Version : Is it depression or Lupus?

12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I went for counseling at my University and the therapist said she did not know if it was Lupus symptoms or depression I am suffering from.

sadness
appetite loss
crying
tiredness
achy bones

or could I be suffering from both?
I saw that my nails appear to be changing colors in the cold, but I discovered this very recently.

KathyW1958
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi,
Welcome to the site. Have you seen a Rheumatologist or a GP yet and been tested for Lupus? I am not sure. Maybe there will be others that will come on here and have some good information for you. Please keep posting.

Hugs,
Kathy

Saysusie
12-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Part of Lupus symptoms are depression, aching and fatigue. The symptoms of depression include loss of appetite.

Depression in Lupus is generally clinical depression which may bring on a variety of physical and psychological symptoms.

Psychological symptoms may include:
sadness and gloom
spells of crying (often without a cause)
insomnia or restless sleep, or sleeping too much
loss of appetite, or eating too much
uneasiness or anxiety
irritability
feelings of guilt or regret
lowered self-esteem
inability to concentrate
diminished memory and recall
indecisiveness
lack of interest in things formerly enjoyed
fatigue

Physical symptoms may include:
headache
heart palpitations
diminished sexual interest and/or performance
body aches and pains
indigestion
constipation
diarrhea

Up to 60% of Lupus patients suffer from clinical depression. Episodes of clinical depression usually last for only a few months in patients with a chronic illness like Lupus. However, a flare of the disease can also trigger depression in Lupus patients. So, depression can be chronic, just as the disease is. Many doctors understand this relationship and will often prescribe treatment modalities for their lupus patients that include treatments for depression. It is good that you are talking to a therapist at your University. It is just as important for you to care for you emotional health as aggressively as you care for your physical health because the two are intertwined.

I wish you the very best
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
12-11-2008, 04:56 AM
I've been suffering from depression in various degrees for many years now. Lupus and depression seem to go hand in hand. Physical changes in the body/brain from Lupus can cause depression. Also, just the fact of having this disease and dealing with all that comes with it can cause depression from an emotional, rather than a physical standpoint. It's almost like Lupus and depression feed off of each other. You certainly are not alone, most of us here deal with this problem. Welcome to our group, make yourself at home.

Rob