PDA

View Full Version : Paying for copies of your own records?

cheryl_v
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have to pay for copies of their own medical records? My doc office says if I want copies of my records, I'll have to pay. I have no idea how many sheets, and neither do they. So I have no idea how much, and can't afford it anyways. So mad, I forgot to ask for my results again to blood work. Now don't want to call :oops: . Its all so frustrating :x . Does anyone else have to pay? Is this normal? :?

Oluwa
12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
CV...

They should be able to give you copies of your test results without charge. The whole record, their notes, their diagnosing they may charge...legally they can.

I just got all my lab work results for last three years in big fat yellow envelopes...no charge from four offices.

If you want your whole record..can you say..ask, if you have an appointment for a second opinion will your current doctor allow you to hand carry you record to the other doctor or would they mail it?

Ask them if there is a fee for just your lab results, if so....I would call your insurance company and see if you have a legitimate complaint. If I am not mistaken, they have to provide at least a copy of your labwork.

And/or call the actual lab, as in some states the lab can provide you directly with the results.

Hugs,
Oluwa

hatlady
12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I've always been able to get my lab results as well, but have never asked for the other notes, I expect that there would be a charge.

Good luck, cheryl, in getting these!

cheryl_v
12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I was told that they'll do a doc to doc copies, once with no charge on all paper work. For myself, all copies have to be paid for. I'll check on the lab thing. I just want all the copies to read and keep, in case I do decide to change. Been unhappy there lately.

The results are probably negative, as usual. Its just there always "busy" and will call back when they can. I think I'll contact the rhuemy office and get their paper work too. Just so tired of it all. I need a break. I'm not going back there, unless absolutely ill. Just tired of docs and nurses, had my fill. I'm just done. I'll see if they can at least give me an estimate for later.

DrinkofWtr
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I have had Drs. who have wanted me to pay for my own records. The Drs. want to pass on their costs to their patients and my guess is this is another way to do that. They are very good at devising ways to make more money!

If I really need the records, I will pay; but if I can get by without them, somehow, I won't pay for them.

cheryl_v
12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Did they ever say how much it would cost you? Curious as to how much it may cost me. I would mainly just like to know what they really think and say. I want to see if they take me seriously, see those side notes like my previous rhuemy. Turned out all she cared about was my bad teeth and weight. Almost all her notes were that. I was glad I was getting a new rhuemy, hopefully to take in my symptoms and not my problems. You know? Hard, do not like being belittled. Made to feel bad for asking for something that's mine. I feel it also may be the time for yet another new doc. Just found out my doc is branching out for more money intake, rumor has it he's not much for dealing with patients anymore. Its the reason he supposably hired the new doc/np. So he doesn't have to do the work, just rack up some money. Being a DO doc was the reason I picked him, their normally more personal and compassionate. In it for patience, not money. Might explain why I never seen him this year, just the new doc/np.

Ok, done griping. Thanks for listening.