PDA

View Full Version : When people with lupus get a cold.

justdave
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
You would think that people with hyped up immune systems wouldn't get the common stuff.

My son came home with a bug that made him sick to his stomach for two days and slightly tired. I get it from him, so I get all my regular breathing problems I always have, but now I have gone from a low grade fever to a high grade, serious stomach pain and having a hard time moving or standing. it was amplified ten times on me. I can't even drink water without stomach pain.

The onlly thing I can think of is because I am on prednisone and Mex that it lowered my resistance to it.

I am in a world of hurt weathering this thing out, do others have problems with the flu's and things on such meds.

if my immune system is so great, why doesn't it squish stuff like this...

Do you stop your imnume suppressors when you get whacked with stuff like this?

sits_inthe_corner
12-06-2008, 04:14 AM
:D I've often wondered that my self...I guess our immune system is so busy attacking parts of us that are perfectly healthy, it misses the germs and viruses.

Ask your doctor if you can take Cold FX. It really really really does work. People get put off it because it's quite alot of fuss to take it and it's not cheap.

But I swear if you start taking in the morning by the next morning you are going to be feeling much better. For me I usually feel much relieved by the time I'm going to bed the first night.

Don't laugh now....but it boosts the immue system...I SAID don't laugh.

My family doctor recommened it to me (she actually thought it wouldn't work but I'm not allowed to take anything else because of the meds I'm on).

I didn't think it was going to work either, but it does. I now start taking it when ever I get around someone who is obviously sick. Coughing sneazing etc.

You take three pills three times a day for the first day

Second day you take two pills three times a day

Third day you take one pill three times a day

It's important to keep taking the pills for all three days even if you feel better.

The pills are small, so your not trying to choke down horse pills.

hatlady
12-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh Sits, where were you a week and a half ago! :? I'm going to have to look at that Cold FX stuff and see about getting some for NEXT time!

I'm on the last dragged out crap of a cold/cough, day 11 to be exact. Still not sleeping in my own bed, rather lounging at a good angle on the couch. Laying down = more coughing.

Dave, have you talked to your doc? It sounds like you've been hit especially hard -

My gentle hugs to you - along with a nice hot tea with some honey and lemon.

KathyW1958
12-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi Dave,
You know they say we have a hyped up immune system, but that is not exactly the truth. We have a faulty immune system. No you should not stop the immunosuppressors unless the doctor tells you too. It could set you up for a very bad situation big time. Due to our faulty immune systems we are more susceptible to colds and such and yes it is often worse that is why they warn us to avoid being around folks that are sick if it is possible. I hope that you get to feeling better.

Hugs,
Kathy

Danica01
12-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I was hoping to find something on here that addresses the cold problems and I did! I was in the hospital a week ago and three days later I have new cold causing so much problems!!!! Do you all deal with a constant cold? I feel like I get one, get rid of it and a few weeks later.....it is back!!!!! It is very frustrating! I understand the whole awkward breathing issue, I have developed severe asthma over the last few years, so, that seems to make it all worse. I just wondered if other people with Lupus have this same problem. I am going to put a call into my doctor and ask him about the medicine you were all talking about. Thanks for all the information and I hope you feel better soon. Keep us updated! :D

sits_inthe_corner
12-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi Danica,

Cold FX works great for me. I'm glad you are going to speak to your doctor about it.

We are all so different in our symptoms and medications. I prefer folks to check with their doctors to make sure there is not a conflict with their medications or conditions.

Hope it works well for you too.

Danica01
12-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the suggestion! I am going to have to go into the doctor tomorrow. I will update you tomorrow evening and let you know what the doctor says and then I will let you know if it worked for me........keep our fingers crossed :!:

Saysusie
12-07-2008, 08:51 PM
The "over-active" immune system in Lupus does not really mean that we have more immunity; it means that we have a LOT LESS! Our immune system is attacking healthy cells, itís an immune system gone awry attacking itself (thus, auto-immune). Because healthy cells are being attacked/destroyed and harmful anti-bodies are being formed, we are less able to fight off things like the common cold. For many Lupus patients, including myself, a common cold ends up becoming a serious illness requiring hospitalization.

Therefore, it is important for us to take drastic measures to avoid viruses and infections. We must jump on them the second that we feel we've been exposed. I hope that, those of your suffering from colds & flu, you can get a handle on it quickly. I find that, if I take to the bed immediately and stay there (taking medication if needed), I am allowing my body (as weak as it may be) to fight the virus and/or infection. As I am retired, I can do this. I know that it is not a viable option for many. But if it is, I would suggest that you do try to shut down completely for a while to help you body wage this war.

I wish you all the very best!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

DrinkofWtr
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Not me, just Dave. I get every virus or germ out there and because I work with kids, I get things all the time. I, also, seem to get things worse, such as a cough that won't go away or colds that go into bronchitis or pneumonia, or head colds that go into sinus infections. My poor body is always fighting everything! Lupus related, or not. I am just tired of it, after fighting everything for so long!

justdave
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Hmmmmm. So let me see if I understand this. I have the normal amount of autoimmnune cells, but 75% of mine is busy beating me up leaving only 25% to fight off the true nasties.

Something like that....

By the way I am feeling better but it took four days of bed rest to beat it back. I thought it was the immnune suppressants that was messing me up

Lupo
12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow if only the 75% and 25% were to switch places. It's like the immune sytem is commiting to mutiny! How wrong is that?!

Saysusie
12-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I feel for you DrinkofWater :( I know it must be hard to feel like you are always battling something!

There is a lot of controversy about Lupus patients getting the flu shot. Since I've been downgraded to mild lupus, I do get the shot every year and I think that it helps me. However, when I was classified as having active disease, my rheumy and PCP would not let me get the flu shot.

At any rate, perhaps this is a discussion that you can have with your doctors (if you have not already done so).

I wish you the best and hope that you are able to overcome this cold and flu season without any serious problems.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie