12-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Well, I got my Rheumo to give me some tests. One test was IgM. Anyone know what this test looks for? Just curious...
How is everyone out there doing?
12-05-2008, 06:29 AM
I am not to sure about that test, but from what I read on the internet it could indicate an infection of some sorts. Maybe Saysusie or Oluwa may know more about it.
12-07-2008, 09:01 PM
IgM is the immunoglobulins test. This test is done to measure the level of immunoglobulins, also known as antibodies, in your blood. Antibodies are substances made by the body's immune system in response to bacteria, viruses, fungus, animal dander, or cancer cells. Antibodies attach to the foreign substances so the immune system can destroy them.
The five major types of antibodies are:
1) IgA. IgA antibodies are found in areas of the body such the nose, breathing passages, digestive tract, ears, eyes, and vagina. IgA antibodies protect body surfaces that are exposed to outside foreign substances. This type of antibody is also found in saliva, tears, and blood. About 10% to 15% of the antibodies present in the body are IgA antibodies. A small number of people do not make IgA antibodies.
2) IgG. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. They are the smallest but most common antibody (75% to 80%) of all the antibodies in the body. IgG antibodies are very important in fighting bacterial and viral infections. IgG antibodies are the only type of antibody that can cross the placenta in a pregnant woman to help protect her baby (fetus).
3) IgM. IgM antibodies are the largest antibody. They are found in blood and lymph fluid and are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. They also cause other immune system cells to destroy foreign substances. IgM antibodies are about 5% to 10% of all the antibodies in the body.
4) IgE. IgE antibodies are found in the lungs, skin, and mucous membranes. They cause the body to react against foreign substances such as pollen, fungus spores, and animal dander. They may occur in allergic reactions to milk, some medicines, and some poisons. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies.
5) IgD. IgD antibodies are found in small amounts in the tissues that line the belly or chest. How they work is not clear.
The levels of each type of antibody can give your doctor information about the cause of a medical problem. The IgM test is one of the routine blood test used when diagnosing an auto-immune disorder.
Please let me know if you need any more information about this test or anti-bodies.
Peace and Blessings