PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help??????

tabby
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey guys, i've got pain in my knees and ankles. My ankles and feet swell up as the day goes on.

i was on steroids for my joint pain but doc thought that 4 years was getting too long and stopped it.

Can anyone give advise on any alternatives that can help with the pain????

oh, i should also mention that im on warfarin so can't take NSAIDs

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Pretti in Pink
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
The only thing OTC that i can think of Tylenol-Arthritis, I believe that is the strongest they sell. You should contact your doctor and let him know.

sits_inthe_corner
11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Gentle hugs to ya tabby,

You need to go back to your doctor, let him/her see how badly swollen you are. Keep going back...be a pest.

I would go to see my doctor twice a week, untill she started me on medications that worked. I would ask her how long it should take before I would notice a difference. After the time was up I would hobble right down there. Finally we found something that helped.

In the mean time, go down to the pharmacy or drug store and buy yourself a pair of diabetic compression socks. They cost about $25 but they are worth it. Before you swing your feet out of bed in the morning put the compression socks on. They really do help to keep the swelling down in your feet and lower legs.

If you are having knee pain, buy yourself soft knee braces. Either the kind you just pull up or the ones that wrap around with velcro straps so you can adjust to the size you want. They cost about $15.

They do help with the pain and support the joints. Do NOT buy the ones with the "supportive" inserts. I find them to be painful and they really dont help.

Feel around your joints that are causing you pain. You should feel an area that is hot or very warm to the touch. Ice them for no more that ten minutes at a time.

Your joints are irritated and your body is sending fluid to the joint to protect it...so you have to ease the pain signals so the fluid wont rush there as badly.

Most importantly, keep at your doctor. Let them know that the pain and the effect this is having on your life is not something you can deal with. PUSH keep pushing.

I'm not sure what else you can take with the warfarin.

I'm taking arthrotec 75...not sure it that's a NSAID drug or not.

Have you been for xrays? They should at least be checking into why your joints are behaving like this.

I have tried steroid shots...they only worked for a couple of days. But my boss had them done and he has been back to his ol self for over two years now. You might want to ask your doctor about that.

You can alternate cold compresses with hot compresses. Just remember no more than 10 minutes at a time. Your skin and joints are very sensative especially on the warfarin. You don't want burns or to freeze the joint.

At night, when I'm really bad, I sleep with a body pillow. It helps me to keep the pressure off my knees and feet.

I hope this helps...and let us know how you make out with the doctor.

Are you seeing a rheumatologist? If not ask to be refered to one. There's an answer and help out there somewhere, keep digging.

tabby
11-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your advise sits in the corner. I'm not being seen my a rheumatolagist any more, didnt like the i was being treated by him so asked to be transferred.

When i was admitted to hospital my kidneys were failing so i was but in the care of a Nephrologist. so don't really see a rheumatolagist. But hes really good i'll have to mention it again when i see him

sits_inthe_corner
11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
tabby :shock:

You've got to make a point of getting in to see your doctor now, while you are still swollen.

They have to poke and prod your swollen legs so they can see for themselves.

I went down this road with my family doctor. It took a month of me going in twice sometimes three times a week to get the message accross that this wasn't going to go away on it's own....and I needed her help.

Finally she got the message.