PDA

View Full Version : Burning in Chest

Maggie79
11-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi there, wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has the same. Last night I went for a short jog on the treadmill. I warmed up (stretched, walked), but then after running a short distance my lungs felt like they were on fire. I slowed down to a walk then eventually got off the treadmill. My lungs felt like someone had dropped a match in them, I have never felt this before and I have had asthma my whole life, I even used my inhaler before I jogged and usually that makes my workout easier.

Any thoughts? The burning was so painful at times it felt like I could not get enough air but was not having an asthma attack, the burning lasted for about 1 hour followed by feeling like I needed to cough something up, now today I have a bad headache. With Lupus my lungs, before I was diagnosed hurt alot (painful to take a deep breath, etc), but now since I'm on meds they don't hurt as much.

Maybe I am just starting to come down with something? Thoughts?

hatlady
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Hello Maggie;

How painful! That isn't something I've experienced, I've had some loss of lung capacity, but nothing that pianful. If that isn't a symptom you usually experience with asthma, maybe you should call your doctor's office and tell them about it, including what I'll call a "residual headache" today.

Take care - - and let us know.

~hatlady

sick n tired
11-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I have had similar problems when I try to jog in the cold or even cool weather...not sure what causes it, though...if you ask your doc and find out then be sure to let us know.

Saysusie
11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure if the burning sensation in your lungs is related to your Lupus. Runners often experience what you describe.

When you are doing exercising, particularly running or jogging, your need for added oxygen makes you breathe from the mouth. Often your breathing pattern is labored and panting. When this occurs a large amount of oxygen is going down into the lungs drying the mucus membranes in the bronchus. This will dry out the passageways effecting the nerve endings there. This causes a burning sensation in the bronchus and chest. Once you stop the exercise and your breathing becomes normal, fluids moisten the membranes and the pain goes away. It is not unusual to also feel as if you need to throw up or cough up mucous. The burning, etc. can be reduced by breathing in a more regulated way. Breathe in through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. Air coming through the nose is moisturized and warmed, thereby preventing the drying and the pain.

Hope this is helpful :P

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Maggie79
11-24-2008, 03:04 PM
thanks all!