PDA

View Full Version : Bruising?

hdodson
11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I just have a quick question-I am bruising easily-has anyone else noticed this as one of your first symptoms? I have been told I don't have leukemia, which I was scared of at first, and I am waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dec. My dr. is suspecting possible lupus, but what would cause the bruising? The bloodwork shows my platelets at 279, which is definitely in the normal range. Just curious!

sits_inthe_corner
11-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi hdodson

What medications are you taking?

My mother bruised very easily she was on predisone (spelling?)

I'm usually covered in bruises but that has more to do with being a cluts.

I'm sure the others will be along soon with more answers for ya.

hdodson
11-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not on any medications, so that's why I am puzzled.

sits_inthe_corner
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
What has your doctor said about the bruising? Are they still looking for answers?

In the mean time...start nibbling on walnuts and almonds. There are good for your veins and arteries. They help the walls to be flexable and not rupture so easiely. Makes em stretchy.

Hubby had a heart attack two years ago. I shovel them into him :)

MoCo
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone, nice to meet you all! :cute: I'm new here and I also have a problem with bruises. Both the front of my shins are bruised from knee to ankle and has been bruised for a few years now. I miss wearing shorts and skirts without having to wear knee high boots :grumpy: My doc said it's because of the meds but, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do, eat or take(vitamins) to rid of these hideous bruises?

MoCo
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Btw, I forgot to mention that I've tried eating almonds but I just can't seem to get it down anymore after a few days of eating it.

Angel Oliver
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I looked on the net for you and found this info.Remember i am no doctor and just thought its something to think about i could be totally wrong.If im not mistaken you can bruise easily too with Lupus.I am no expert...so im sure someone will come along and help you more, but i copied this just to read:----->

Everyone bruises from times to time. If one is constantly banging against furniture or involved in heavy contact sports, bruises are expected. Some people bruise easily, while others can be knocked about frequently with no apparent bruising. However, there may be some factors to explain why you bruise easily.

The amount of fat covering your body may be a contributing factor if you tend to bruise easily. If you do not have an adequate layer of body fat, then bruises will sometimes appear with the slightest knock. This is one of the reasons why some elderly people and children bruise easily. They may not have adequate fat on their arms and legs and may tend to bruise easily in these areas.

Bruising occurs when blood vessels under the skin break or burst due to a knock or injury. When damaged, the capillaries leak blood under the skin, and purplish or red bruising results. The colors of the bruise will change as the swelling dies down and the bruise fades.

Bruising does not only occur on the skin's surface. Deeper bruising can affect the tissues and organs. Although you will not be able to see these bruises, they can still swell and cause pain. A doctor should be consulted for any internal injury or pain.

Another reason that some people bruise easily is a rare genetic disorder called von Willebrand disease, which prevents the blood from clotting properly. This disorder affects at least 1% of the population. The symptoms of von Willebrand disease include excessive bleeding, especially in the nose and gums. The condition can also cause sufferers to bruise easily, typically in unusual locations. Symptoms of von Willebrand disease can be very mild, and for this reason, the condition often goes undetected. Von Willebrand disease is treated with a medication called Desmopressin.

Bruising is not abnormal. In some cases, you may bruise easily for no apparent reason from time to time. The colors of a bruise can sometimes look frightening, but they depend on the severity of the injury. If you experience any bruising that seems unusual, consult a doctor. Bruising can sometimes be a symptom of other illness, such as an irregularity in the liver or the blood clotting mechanism.

If you bruise easily due to accidental or sports-related injuries, it is best to limit the amount of bleeding that occurs. This can be achieved simply by applying an ice pack to the area. If you have no ice available, simply take a bag of frozen vegetables from the freezer and apply it to the bruise.

mountaindreamer
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi MoCo,

first, let me welcome you to the group. I have only been a member for about 4 months, but i have gained so much from the membership. I hope we can help you.

I, too, bruise very easily. I have lost my ability to do several things at once, and I can't move with much grace anymore, so I bump into things. I have tried to slow down, do one thing at a time, and never rush when moving around. I don't seem to bump into things as often, but when i do, i bruise.

welcome, hope you are having a good day,

lucky7
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi and Welcome!!!!!

I just wanted to say that im an easy bruiser too! I am falling alot and bumping into things too but all someone has to do is poke me lightly and Bam, theres a bruise. My Uncle barely stepped on my big toe and OMG, it bruised the next day! Then a month later i lost the whole nail,EWWWWWWW. I guess i need to use my imagination on how to paint a toenail thats not there for sandal season! If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!! LOL

cherokee993
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I have a bruising issue too. I am a klutz but these are not all klutz related, I am really bruising in some places that I don't hit myself LOL! I don't know, but its on the list of stuff to ask my doctor tomorrow.

Faith
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I knocked my leg against a table and it is purple and blue with the vein darker than the surrournding area running through the bruise.

Ever since I have been diagnosed with Lupus, I bruise extremely easily. I think it's just part of the disease. I have thicker blood that is thinned by taking aspirin so there are not clotting issues per say.

Where is SNT? I thought for sure she would have replied? Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well.

Take care,

Faith

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Firstly Hi i am new here too only been on couple of weeks and learnt soo much already!!! i to bruise i always thought it was cause i have hughes as well as sle but who know now!! lol its funny when you find them in the most percular places inside of arms and legs i use to work with children and we did a course on checking for child abuse and one of them was bruises in percular places but i live on my own and thou yes i am clumsy think that another sle thing not that clumsy at one time i think i counted 10 or bruises on me at once!!! just madness lol

gina
03-11-2009, 05:45 AM
I too bruise easy, i will wake up in morning be getting dress and say were did that bruise come from, not even remebering doing anything.

Faith
03-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi Heidi,

Welcome to our forum and I am glad you joined in. We both have Anti-phospholipid Syndrome aka Hughes Syndrome. I haven't heard of many on the board that have it. It's nice talking to you and I hope you come back.

We have all learned that we have so much in common with Lupus, Fibro, and auto-immunes. I learn something new everyday.

Take care,

Faith

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi Heidi,

Welcome to our forum and I am glad you joined in. We both have Anti-phospholipid Syndrome aka Hughes Syndrome. I haven't heard of many on the board that have it. It's nice talking to you and I hope you come back.

We have all learned that we have so much in common with Lupus, Fibro, and auto-immunes. I learn something new everyday.

Take care,

Faith

Hi Faith yes i am learning soo much stuff which is good as have a consultant appointment moonday soo gone write alist she ain't gone know whats hit her!! lol
And yes i'm soo glad ISDM told me about site and you don't get read of me that easily lol i tell people i'm like no nails once i stick i'm there for life lol!!
and as far as hughs yes i never new it affected so more that just bruising!! well as you can see i can waffle for england!!! so will stop there and speak to you all soon xxxxxxxxx

Saysusie
03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Hughes syndrome, also known as antiphospholipid syndrome or 'sticky blood' is a disorder characterized by blood clotting, both in the arteries and veins. Hughes syndrome is caused by the presence of antibodies in the blood, called antiphospholipid antibodies. These antibodies make the immune system work too hard, increasing blood clotting. Hughes syndrome is also an important cause of thrombotic disease, including thrombosis of the leg or arm or of any internal organ. As a result there is a possibility it can cause strokes and heart attacks.

As the main symptoms of Hughes syndrome (Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) ) is the increased tendency of blood clots, the treatment is aimed at thinning the blood to reduce the risk. Treatment to thin the blood may be with drugs, such as aspirin. Aspirin makes the blood less sticky, as well as cutting down the chances of thrombosis and strokes. APS may occur as an isolated disorder (primary antiphospholipid syndrome) or may occur along with another autoimmune disorder such as systemic lupus erythematosus (secondary antiphospholipid syndrome).

There are also stronger blood thinners available, such as heparin or warfarin depending on how severe the condition is

Often, with Lupus patients, easy bruising can be due to low platelets (aka: thrombocytopaenic purpura). This is a condition where there are decreased platelet counts, along with the presence of platelet antibodies. (ITP) is a bleeding condition in which the blood doesnít clot as it should. This is due to a low number of blood cells called platelets. People who have ITP often have purple bruises that appear on the skin or on the mucous membranes (for example, in the mouth). The bruises mean that bleeding has occurred in small blood vessels under the skin. A person who has ITP also may have bleeding that results in tiny red or purple dots on the skin. These dots, often seen on the lower legs, are called petechiae (peh-TEE-kee-ay). Petechiae may look like a rash.

People with ITP may have nosebleeds, bleeding from the gums when they have dental work done, or other bleeding thatís hard to stop. Women with ITP may have heavy menstrual bleeding. About 5 percent, whose ITP doesnít go away on its own may need to have further medical or surgical treatment.

Chronic ITP will vary with each individual and can last many years. Even people who have severe forms of chronic ITP can live for decades. Most people with chronic ITP are able at some point to stop treatment and keep a safe platelet count. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) do not often present simultaneously and it is difficult for doctors to diagnose. Treatment is usually with plasma exchange, steroids and immunosuppressive drugs, such as mycophenolate mofetil.

It is probably important that you make your doctors aware of your easy bruising because, as you can see, the issue may be very serious.

I wish you the best
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

sick n tired
03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey Welcome...I also bruise very easily...told hubby sometimes it looks like he took a bat to me...many of them I can't even remember when I got them...
Lucky7 if you find a way to paint the toenail that is not there...share it with me. Down in Texas(not sure where you live) warmer weather is here...well not today, we are having the last surge of what we call winter...

lucky7
03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
OOOOOOH, Lucky you! Texas! Im in Ohio and its been a VERY cold and snowy winter so i am sooo ready for the warmth!!

Im not sure what to do about the nail yet! UGH Im having so many skin and nail issues lately. It seems like something new EVERY day. My eyes were done yesterday. I was luckier than they originally thought, i did catch it early enough to where it was more of a tear than a disconnect. SOOOOO Blurrry yesterday it nauseated me for the day. Im still blurry today and nausea comes and goes. I still cant go out in the sun for a while without my Special Sunglasses(more like goggles cuz they wrap around). The dr has to monitor me once a month indefinately. If my floaters get worse or any more Flashes i have to go in ASAP.

Please anyone who reads this dont ignore your floaters if youve never had them and/or if you have flashes of light or Curtains they call them. I have to have my eyes looked at on a consistent basis now cuz detachment can happen quickly. Hopefully a tear will occur first and its not as bad to fix. Waiting longer CAN lead to blindness.

Angel Oliver
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi,

You know what again thanks.I did go to the optician and now wear dark tinted glasses.I told the optician hw bad my flashes n floaters are and he said tell your doctor immediately.I did. He didnt seem bothered.I will make sure at my next Reumi appointment i tell him and make he listen (as Angel grabs and shakes the Rheumi) :)

lucky7
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes Angel PLEASE tell the dr. Make an appt with an eye dr cuz their the only ones who can help you and stay on top of it. Its your sight were talking about.

ASAP MY SWEET ANGEL!!!!!!

tiggerlishus - Heidi
03-13-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks saysusie i learnt lots and will add it to my list for appointment with consultant!!! this is getting quite long i just remember to take it adn haveconfidence to ekkp on at her about them!! soo thanks for you help all xx

cheryl_v
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I tried to tell doc of easy bruising. All she did was check for anemia. My iron was border-line high, not low at all. Said it could be anything, definetly not anemia and said nothing more. Acted as if no concern, since not anemia.

Some days bruising is normal, others its so easy. I can lean on something to hard and a bruise later. I don't know if to be concern or not worry like doc seems to not be. Its confusing.

kducks
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I bruise so much too. I never know where they come from most of the time but I'll find them after my shower usually. When I was really sick I had bruises up and down my shins that never went away for years. I always chalked it up to just another thing with Lupus.

For the girls with the toe nail problems, go to your local nail salon. They should be able to "build" a fake nail for you while yours grows out. I had my big toenail removed a few years ago from a ingrown toenail. Also had a issue with one of my baby toes and a metal patio chair(did I mention I'm clumsy too?) and they "built" me a nail on each of them while they grew back.

brandichi
03-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I bruise easily too, but I had no idea it was related to lupus until I read this discussion! I get those tiny purple dot bruises on my upper arms too, but I thought it was just something weird about me, not something I had to pay attention to. I feel a little better though, because I was starting to believe I was losing it with all these bruises popping up all the time, and having absolutely no memory of bumping into anything! I'm adding this to my list of things to discuss with the doctor at my next appointment...

sick n tired
03-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Really Kducks???

I might try...I bruise all the time and don't like the way I look right now( huge dark circles around my eyes, my face is slowly turning red like a burn but I haven't been in the sun) so it would be nice to have my nails done.

Oh btw...I also am a klutz at times...kind of like I am unsteady on my feet like I am drunk without all the fun.:wacko::wacko:

lucky7
03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
WOW, thanks Kducks!!!

Was feeling ooky about putting on those sandals! I didnt know they could do that!!!

Good information!!!