PDA

View Full Version : Fires in Montecito and Sylmar

DrinkofWtr
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Everybody,

I woke up this morning to see a huge cloud of smoke over Oxnard. I am so hoping that this smoke cloud will go out to sea. The smoke is so toxic and it doesn't help with medical problems, like Lupus. I live about 30 miles from Montecito, the Tea Fire, and am pretty familiar with that area. If it's not fires, it's mudslides, or earthquakes, or floods here.
I feel for all the families that are affected and all the evacuations. Over 5000 in Santa Barbara/Montecito and as you have probably heard in the news over 10000 in the Sylmar area. Many homes lost also.

Saysusie
11-18-2008, 12:47 PM
We suffered a bit from those fires on Saturday when we were attempting to return to Victorville from Los Angeles. The 10 freeway was closed, part of the 215 was closed and the 60 was at a dead stop. The high winds blew soot onto the cars in Los Angeles. My heart goes out to the many, many people who have lost their homes. Have their been any lives lost as a result of these fires?

Every year, as you mentioned, we have to deal with fires, mudslides or earthquakes. The Cajon pass catches on fire every single year and the 15 freeway is shut down. The sky turns absolutely brown with soot falling like snow.

There is no place in the world that is free from some natural disaster! :cry:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sick n tired
11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I do hope that you all will be alright and the fires are put to rest soon...It must be hard to go outside in these times.

hatlady
11-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I'll stick to the Midwest... snowstorms, occasional tornadoesand rain. Nothing like California. Our earth usually doesn't move. (Though we HAVE had earthquakes!)

Saysusie, DrinkOfWater, and others in CA, may you stay safe from this latest awful round of fires, and the mudslides that will surely follow over the winter or in the spring.

sick n tired
11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Here in Texas we have tornadoes and hurricanes...but we did have a minor earthquake a few weeks ago and right under me...

mnjodette
11-25-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm always so sorry to read about fires in Southern Calif. I've been out there after some of the big fires (we have family in San Diego) and the devastation is just terrible. I hope all of you in CA fared OK through the fires. Here in Northern Minnesota, we may freeze our little buns off, or be buried in snow up to our buns, but that's as bad as it gets. Something to be thankful for, I know.

Jody