PDA

View Full Version : Tips for activities of daily living

Furrydog
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Thank you for people's tips on sleeping positions and pillows etc. for lying in bed and also to the shopping trolley idea and the not bringing in heavy items yourself idea.

I wondered if people had any other tips for activities of daily living, to make it easier for us if we have trouble bending or lifting or walking too far or get short of breath easily or can't lift your arms over your head etc.

thanks

sits_inthe_corner
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
gentle hugs to ya Furrydog.

I went through my wardrobe (on a good day) and sorted through my clothes for good day clothes (ones that are a little fussier to put on) and bad day clothes (ones that are easy to put on and remove).

I use an extra long handled shoe horn. I have trouble with even the easiest foot wear. My hands have gotten weaker and I have trouble pulling on the back of the shoe or even with socks.

One of the drug stores here (Lawtons) have an assisted living area that has a staff member who only works that department. They are great for helping you identify items to help you with your day to day tasks.

I'm not sure where you are, but you could check around to your local drug stores or pharmacies to see if they have such a service.

Saysusie
11-15-2008, 10:36 AM
SITC:
I was just about to advise going to the local drug store and asking about the "assisted living" devices and advice. Thank you for pointing that out. I only learned about that service while trying to find things to help my mother around her house. :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
:lol: Saysusie

They know me by first name there now lol. They have lots of little thingamabobbers that I wouldn't have even dreamed of.

Some of them are not so helpful and you have to really evaluate how much help an item is actually going to be. There's alot of junk on the market right now.

They even sell the (dang I've forgotten what it's called) tensor machine? no that's not it...it's the machine that sends a current into your muscle for stimulation. Tens? Dang it all ... I cant remember.

Any way ... it's not cheap but some people swear by them. When I went to physio, the dude there would use it around my sore knee joints with ice pack on top.

It helped .... but only temperarily.... :lol: my spelling is wicked horried today!

NoodleMom
11-15-2008, 12:51 PM
yes its a Tens machine. At least it has the word Tens in it.

The OT that I went to last week gave me a Home Healthcare catalog from Sears. phone #1-800-326-1750. She also says to look at Walmart. Check to see if you have a Home Healthcare store.

HTH Kasey

Saysusie
11-18-2008, 12:42 PM
SITC;
I had belly laughs at your attempts to remember the name of the thingamabob! You sounded so much like me.....Oh how our brain fog makes us so much alike!!!
Thank you for the information, even with the difficulties trying to remember. :rofl:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
11-25-2008, 04:40 AM
The arthritis foundation has a lot of good hints, and if they hold one of those Arthritis Walks in your area, there are always a lot of suppliers there with tables giving away handy things. Nice to get a few things for free! My jar opener is a god-send (if hubby isn't here to do the job!)

Jody