PDA

View Full Version : Really sore joints & muscle weakness

luvinmyninja
11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
The last few days he's been so weak & it alot of pain. He's taking 4 aleve a day but, they won't give him anything else until he sees the Rhuemy. Got any ideas what would help until then

YPT
11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi,
Have you tried Ibuprofen? Sometimes that works. Other than that, I have used Tylenol PM just to help relieve some of the pain so that I can go to sleep.
Hope he feels better.
YPT

SuperGiv
11-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Hey i have really bad joint and muscle pains, im prescribed co-codamol and they work well, but i find other painkillers help, and i had one called Anadin (may only be in the UK though) and that worked really well :)

Lupo
11-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Hi,
Have you tried Ibuprofen? Sometimes that works. Other than that, I have used Tylenol PM just to help relieve some of the pain so that I can go to sleep.
Hope he feels better.
YPT

Hey isn't Ibuprofen and motrin the same thing? If they are, you might want to be careful giving the person that is sufferening the medication because I talked with my Rheumo about this and he said a rare reaciton stirs up in some people.

Saysusie
11-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes, Motrin is Ibuprofen. Here is a list of the "over-the- counter NSAIDs:

Aspirin............... (Bufferin, Bayer, and Excedrin)
Ibuprofen........... (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)
Ketoprofen......... (Actron, Orudis)
Naproxen........... (Aleve)

I hope this is helpful
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

luvinmyninja
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
He already takes 4 aleve. 2 in the morning 2 at night . I don't know if adding something else to it would be safe. His dr put him on it when they thought heart failure but it helped his symptoms so they left him on it until the Rheumy sees him.

YPT
11-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Sorry. I had a brain fart and I did not remember that Ibuprofen was the same as Aleve. Sorry guys.

sits_inthe_corner
11-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Is there a reason why he doesn't want to see a rheumatologist?

I think it's key that he does get into see one ASAP.

There maybe something going on there that needs to be addressed quickly. The week muscules sound concerning.

luvinmyninja
11-15-2008, 08:08 AM
He is going to the rhuemy they just couldn't get him in till December & his normal dr's won't treat him in the mean time . Ugh!

Saysusie
11-15-2008, 10:47 AM
YPT;
Ibuprofen and Aleve are not the same :? Aleve is Naproxen...Motrin is Ibuprofen.

We ALL have brain farts much more often than we care to acknowledge. Do not worry about it at all!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi luvinmyninja

Which joints is he hurting in?

For my it's mostly my knees and my ribs that give me the worst trouble, but also my feet.

If you are in a cold climat I would suggest nipping out to buy some polar fleece bed sheets. Nothing worse then trying to go to sleep when your joints are aching for ice cold bed sheets.

If it's his knee/knees, there's pull up or wrap around knee braces. It give the sore joint a friendly supportive hug. I find it's a relief to put it on....but after an hour or two...it's also a relief to take it off.

I wear it when I'm doing house work, driving the care, shopping or going for a walk.

The bed sheets will run you about $35 to $40 and the knee brace can be bought at any drug store for about $15.

He needs to do some gentle excersizes to keep the knee joints flexable and to keep the supporting muscles tuned up.

His family doctor can refer him to physio and his medical plan should cover it. The physical therapist can give him an assessment and let him know what excersizes he should and can do to help with mobility and yes even reduce pain and swelling.

Also have him feel around the skin of the joints that are bothing him. If he feels a "hot spot", an area where the skin is warm or hot to the touch, that's over the trouble area of the joint. Put cold compresses or ice packs on that for no longer than 10 minutes. He can alternate with warm compresses for the same length of time.

If pain at night is an issue, he can use a pillow (I bought a $9 tube pillow from walmart) to prop his body on.

My knees and my rib cage are really bad, so I lay on my side and lean onto the pillow and prop one leg on top of the pillow. It helps me to stay comfortable long enough to get to sleep.

Hope this helps.

NoodleMom
11-18-2008, 03:36 AM
When I was first diagnosed my doc put me on ibuprofin. It was a high dosage. Joining a pp with the brain farts. I cannot remeber the exact dosage. I was able to take tylenol in between times. The tylenol will not reduce inflamation but may help with headches and other minor irritations. Take the edge off.
The ibuprofin really messed up my stomach tho.

Ya know I was just thinking, my family practice doc is the one who diagnosed me and put me on lyrica, well all my meds. We moved and so I had to find a new doc. She treats me for stuff related to my lupus but told me that the rheumy that she referred me to will take care of my lupus stuff for the most part. I havent had any issues so far.

Thats crazy that they wont treat his pain. It is just pain management. It will not affect the rheumys ability to diagnose. Im sorry that they wont listen and help.

Kasey