PDA

View Full Version : bladder infection, kidney infection, feeling annoyed

lainy
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
HI guys.

i will admit that im not in the best of moods today. woke up with vomiting and excruciating pain,shot off to my doctor and i have a kidney infection and a bladder infection.
as if that wasn't enough on top of what i know now is a current flare (having only been diagnosed a week ago with UCTD - probably lupus) he told me not to start trying for a pregnancy yet. my husband said ""ohhhhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaan"" and i just busted out in tears. i am just so tired. its been nearly 4 months since the miscarriage, and the baby room is all set up, and achingly empty. i just wanna be a mommy

so my question here is, (underneath al the moaning) is kidney/bladder infection probably all part of my flare? and i would soo love some encouragement, i just don't feel like im coping, at all..

Lupo
11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
The infection might be from lowered immune fucntion from a side effect of one of your medications. But since Lupus is different from person to person it might be a flare. This get's more baffling by the day.

lainy
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
thanks Lupo. IM guessing definitely relatd. i've had a fair few bladder infections now, and this is the first time ít's spread to my kidneys, and yet i'd only had bladder infection symptoms for a few hours before the pain started in my back. so who knows! its just so frustrating when things add to it. normally i would cope wel with just an infection, but this time, it just seemed so overwhelming.

anyway, thanks for the support

Lupo
11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Your welcome! If you want to talk, I'm here.

lainy
11-12-2008, 09:53 PM
man i wouldn't know where to start! its so overwhelming.
tell me about you ??

Saysusie
11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Because lupus patients are highly susceptible to infection, we often have to deal with urinary tract infections (UTIs). UTIs and kidney infections are the result of an organism/germ entering the body and infecting the urinary tract. Usually. UTIs affect only the urethra, bladder and ureters. Untreated, a UTI can spread upwards, affecting the kidneys. (Kidney infections shouldn’t be confused with lupus nephritis – More about that later.) These infections are usually treated with antibiotics, plenty of fluids and the old kitchen remedy of gallons of cranberry juice. (Which is extremely helpful in reducing the pain and discomfort!)
Are you taking Prednisone? Prednisone can also make us susceptible to UTI & Bladder infection. Our risk of infection is increased more when we are taking corticosteroids or immunosuppressive medications.
In short, yes your kidney and bladder infection could be due to your Lupus because lupus makes us highly susceptible to infections!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

lainy
11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
thanks Saysusie. Thats what i thought, but i wanted to check. apreciate all your help. feeling bit better today. ended up having a reaction to the painkillers they put me on, which just made me feel even worse.

Lupo
11-14-2008, 06:49 AM
man i wouldn't know where to start! its so overwhelming.
tell me about you ??

uhhh where to begin. I haven't been having much pain if any to begin with. The worst of it was when the symptoms firt appeared. The plura effusion was the scary part because I felt like I wa going to suffocate where I stand. Your Turn.

KathyW1958
11-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Lainy,
I hope that you are feeling better today. I also think that the Lupus aided in you getting the infection. I have a problem with UTI's too and it sucks. The Immunosupperssor drugs and the other medications make us more susceptable to infection. I just hope that you are feeling better.

Hugs,
Kathy

Saysusie
11-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Lainy;
I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better. Have they changed your pain medication since you had a reaction to the ones they gave you? I do hope so!

Keep taking care of yourself. We are here for you!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

lainy
11-16-2008, 08:20 PM
LUpo;that doesn't sound fun at al! im sorry to hear you've been going through so much.
my turn aye!
wel basically since i was about 14 or 15 i have missed heaps of school being always sick, and always sore glands. (and i'd already had mono) and then the last few years it's got way worse, where most days even my armpit glands are excruciating, my joints, muscles, head, all so sore... really bad fatigue. (im now 21) i had a miscarriage a few months ago and they did some blood tests afterwards cos i just stopped being ""brave"" and really told them just how bad i felt. so they did more than just my ESR (they kept running an ESR blood and wondering why was always skyrocketing) and found the ANA antibodies, then ran through my other symptoms like dry eye, dry mouth, and white fingers, toes, etc etc and put me with a diagnosis of UCTD - probably developing into lupus, if not already lupus - not sure tho, only had one brief consult so far, started on Plaquenil.

interestingly enough, i just got some more bloods back and my ESR is dropping, i've been on the Plaquenil a few weeks, do you think there's any chance it's already helping? i haven't felt any better, but could it be helping already on the inside?

Kathy, Saysusie, im not feeling as bad. no they didn't give me any more painkillers. was back at work today and slept all the way home on the bus.

GOOD news - they've given me all clear to try for bubs. exciting times! kinda scary tho on the plaquenil. hmm!

hope you all have a better than normal week. in fact, lets go crazy, and hope for a GOOD week!

blessings xxx

KathyW1958
11-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Hi Lainy,
It sounds like the Plaquenil is starting to work on you. It sounds like you may have Sjogrens Syndrome as well due to the sore glands, dry mouth and dry eyes etc. They treat Sjogrens with Plaquenil also, so you are covered there as well. You could ask your doctor for Rystasis drops for your eyes the next time you see him.

I am glad that they told you that you can have a baby. There are folks that take Plaquenil during their pregnancy and they do ok. I am so happy for you and I hope you do go ahead and have a baby. They will need to follow you closely during your pregnancy, but it should go ok for you. I had two children that are now grown and on their own. They came out perfect when they were born. My son is 25 and my daughter is 23. I also have a grandson from my daughter and her husband and he is perfect also. I am just happy for you. Good luck hon and keep us posted ok.

Hugs,
Kathy

lainy
11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
thanks so much Kathy. will definitely keep you postd. Rheumy said i don't need obstetric referral but i might try see if i can get into see an obgyn (i work at a hospital so might get a corridor consult) cos i dn't feel comfortable not being followed by them.
hubby is praying for twins :-)

have a great day kathy