PDA

View Full Version : prednisone and me

justdave
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey all,
I know this is nasty stuff so it worries me. I am on a lower dose now (20 mg a day down from 40) and going to see my Rhuemy tomorrow. I have noticed some serious improvements on Prednisone, but not all is perfect, it isn't gone so much as controlled. When I come off it and medication free, do you think they could return and is there alternative to it, some safer drug without side effects?

or is it something I will have to adjust too only on the serious flares.

I get so sick so fast, I want to make sure I can recognise it before it thumps me on the head.

KathyW1958
11-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Dave,
When you get to see the Rheumatologist he may put you on Plaquenil and leave you on the Prednisone and eventually start tapering you down and eventually off once the Plaquenil gets to working in your system. You see Plaquenil takes 3 to 5 months to get fully built up in your system and you start to feel the benefits of it. Plaquenil is one of the top of the line medications for Lupus. It is a better drug then Prednisone is. The Rheumatologist will probably put you on NSAIDs also for the inflammation. Please post and let us know what the Rheumatologist says to you tomorrow and what medications he decides to put you on.

Hugs,
Kathy