PDA

View Full Version : Headaches and Yogurt

NoodleMom
11-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I just learned that yogurt can trigger headaches, migraines. My sister suffers with migraines. She has had a migraine every day. Maybe one day in a week she would not have one. She found a more extensive list of foods that people with migraines should avoid. On this list was potato chips and yogurt. She told me that since following the list she had 4 days last week that she did not have a migraine

I have been eating yogurt with fiber in it to aid with my IBS and stomach issues for about two or three months. I have also had severe headaches for about the same length of time. I have not eaten yogurt for three days now. My headaches have decreased in intensity and I am hoping tha they will stop altogether.

Now I just have to find another way to get that fiber.

I thought that this was interesting and hope that it may help someone else too.

kasey

buddhabelly
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Yogurt causes headaches? :? I eat a yogurt once a day. I thought yogurt was supposed to be good for you. Do you know what is in yogurt that causes headaches?

NoodleMom
11-11-2008, 06:11 AM
No I dont know what is in the yogurt that could cause headaches. How ever I think I may have just disproved that theory. I havent had yogurt in several days but woke up this morning with a doozy of a headache. But I didnt sleep well last night so who knows?
Do yo think dairy could be the problem?
Gosh I sure wish I could figure it out. Headaches suck.

Kasey

KathyW1958
11-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Hi Kasey,
I never heard of Yogurt causing headaches, but then again I never eat it. I can't stand the taste of yogurt. I have heard that chocolate can cause headaches. I get bad headaches too and have yet to fully figure out what is causing them. I hope that you get better and get rid of the headache.

Hugs,
Kathy

sits_inthe_corner
11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Well,

my choices are, eat the yogart to avoid headachs and dizzy spells and diahrea from my medication.

Or don't eat the yogart and have that list of goodies up there.

Fraid I'm stuck. Yogart it is.

Lupo
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
This may sound kinda off but do you think that because of the yogurt being cold, it might constrict the blood flow in the cranial area? you know like a prolonged brain freeze? just a thought.

Saysusie
11-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Researchers believe that headaches may be triggered by foods containing tyramine, an amino acid known to affect the body's serotonin levels. For this reason, headache sufferers are told to avoid consuming high levels of chocolate, sour cream, yogurt, aged cheeses and organ meats. One cup of yogurt per day does not constitute high levels of tyramine. However, the other foods eaten in combination with the yogurt might just be enough tyramine to cause a headache!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rob
11-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Interesting discussion. I eat yogurt all the time. I find it's a great buffer for when I need to take Naproxen/Aleve. For me it really cuts down on the stomach ache I always get from it. I do get terrible headaches from time to time, but they are almost always when I'm in the middle of a flare with a bunch of other inflammation going on. I've never really associated headaches with the food that I eat. Hmmm.

BTW-Saysusie, what the heck are "organ meats"? That sounds like
one of those creative phrases that the WHL robo-censor comes up with.
I'm still laughing about the Charles Meat Flute incident! :lol:

cheryl_v
11-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Hi Kasey. Don't be quick to judge the yogurt just yet. I am a migraine sufferer, all females in my family are. We all have different triggers. One of my triggers is certain foods. To properly find your trigger, as a doc helped me, keep a food and headache journal. Migraines can be 12-72hrs long. Anything longer than that is a back-to-back migraine where your trigger is exposed before the migraine you have has actually run its course. My triggers are citrus fruit, processed chocolate, aged cheese, wine and beer. I found them with my journal. You keep a daily track of food intake, and drinks, then any headaches you had. Also grade your headache on a scale 1-10. Slowly start omitting the foods you suspect and keep notes. After the food, or drink, has been out of your system for a full month you re-introduce it to your body. Most reactios are instant to 6hrs I believe. My journal took 6mths to figure the triggers, but turned out I had more than I expected. Everyone's different, like my female relatives have no food triggers or only 1-2. I have multiple, like citrus gives me a migraine in 20min that last 72hrs. While chocolate takes 3hrs and last only 24hrs. With wine, the smell triggers one instantly. Ask your doc to help, it's good to have someone monitoring to catch things you may have missed. I had migraines so much, I would only have relief 3-4 days a month. Now if I'm careful I only have one a month. I also get them from bright lights, piercing noises and bad smells, so tuff to keep fully at bay. My life is better without them, I just treat it like a food allergy. Doc says its almost the same anyways, keep the food out that causes reactions to the body. Then your body will not have a problem. Food allergies run in my family as well, so doc said its possible to be an allergic reaction. Not everyone gets rashes, that's just the most common reaction.

Hope this has been helpful :D .

cheryl_v
11-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Oh yeah, organ meats are things like chicken or beef liver, gizzards, hearts, etc... My family grosses me out, I grew up with it on the table, didn't eat it though. Mum made me try it once, no thanks :shock: . Some people just love it. Mum joked calling it organ meat was probably just a nicer package label. I have tried telling my family that's the kind of meat that's probably causing most there migraines, but they don't listen. Also may be why none of my relatives live to 60. My mum's one of the oldest, and she's only 58. Scarey they don't change their diets, heart problems are high in our family and those meats are to be avoided. I eat like my great-grams and her sister, they lived to their 90's eating low amounts meat and lots of veggies and rice. Hope I'm that lucky. All in all, organ meat is not really good for anyone I believe, from what I've read.

Saysusie
11-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanx for answering the "organ meats" question Cheryl. I was just about to post an answer :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
11-12-2008, 09:55 AM
No problem, glad I could to be helpful :D .

NoodleMom
11-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I have not had yogurt for about a week now and have had a headache continous for about four days. I dont think that i have eaten Nything on the no no list. In fact I have not eatenmuch of anything. I think that it is part of this flare. I have been nauseas for about a week and having diarhea for since the last weekend in Sept. when I went home for the weekend and ate and drank thinks that I dont normally.

Im ready to.....ugh I hate this.

Kasey

Saysusie
11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Noodlemom;
Oh, I am so sorry that you are still suffering. Is the nausea due to the relentless headache? That happens to me quite often. My rheumy told me that my relentless headaches, nausea, diarrhea, etc. are due to my Fibromyalgia. Do you also have FM?
Not eating enough can also cause continual headaches. Can you try to eat a bit more to see if that alleviates the pain at all?
I hope that you find some relief. I'm sending you soothing hugs to get you through the night.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

NoodleMom
11-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Saysusie, yes the nausea is from the headache. The bones in my head hurts. Particularily behind my right ear.Not my scalp but the skull bones I guess. The back of my head and my temples hurt. None of it is throbbing but a hard sharp stabbing pain. Its like the different bones are crashing into one another so then I try to massage and in doing so then my head head hurts more because I am pushing on it try to move the bones. Make any sense?
I did not realize that FM could cause this stuff. I was diagnosed with FM about 6 weeks ago when I was rediagnosed with lupus. My old doc never said that FM was one of my diagnosis. Oh I try so hard to eat but everything just sits in my stomach like lead and (TMI coming up)then comes out mostly undigested or just water and sludge. I have lost weight too.Close to 20-25 lbs now.

I hate to complain but this is getting so old. In the last 12 months I have had maybe six weeks of relief of the flare. Will this continue on til I completely fade away? I spent the whole day sleeping. My poor son spent the day on the computer playing games and watching movies. How bad is that I cant even parent my boy. He even did the dishes this noon.

K

cheryl_v
11-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Hi Kasey, feeling better today? I know the pain your speaking of, I have fibro too. Do not message or push, it only increase the pain and length of time of it. Lay on the side with the pain when you sleep, keeps the pain from traveling to the other side by morning. The soft pillows keeps the pressure light. Cold cloth works well. I use a mix of pure-grain alcohol and peppermint oil. Feels good on sore spot. Try a few sips of milk to coat tummy right before you eat, it does help. Like Saysusie says, try a little something. Somes better than none. Eat the BRAT diet: Banans-Rice-Applesauce-Toast. They're the mildest things for your tummy, even infants stomaches can handle it. Hopefully yours hasn't gotten to bad to where you can't. Even if you can't eat, sip milk slow. It keeps coating and soothing. During my second pregnancy I was so sick for 3 months and couldn't eat that diet, the milk slowly helped my tummy get a little stronger each day.

I so hope you get some relief soon. Migraines are horrible.

rob
11-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Are you feeling any better today Kasey? Six good weeks in one year. It's not fair. Try not to beat yourself up over not being able to do things. I know it's hard, especially because you're a mom, but you do have a very real reason for why you can't do things. It's easier said than done, but remember, this is not your fault.

This is just an idea. I get a nauseous stomach quite often, and not always during a flare. I haven't quite figured out the cause yet. I take Dramamine and it really helps. I guess the stuff also works for nausea that is not caused by motion sickness. I wouldn't take it without asking your Dr. or Rheumo first of course, to make sure it's safe and there are no possible drug interactions. It's something to consider anyway.

A little side note. I was talking to my sister last night. She suffers from migraine headaches quite often. Her husband hunts, and they always have a freezer full of venison or moose. She said she cannot eat anything like the liver and other organs, as it will indeed cause a migraine. She mentioned that she's not positive about yogurt, and what quantity of it you would have to eat to cause a headache, but she'd rather play it safe and not eat the stuff.

I hope you get a break from the hurt, and start having some better days ASAP. Go easy on yourself.

Rob

NoodleMom
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Headache is still here I have jaw pain with it now also. Ate half a bowl of cheerios this morning and took my meds then went back to bed. My boy has been on the computer all morning. He is flying planes on flight simulator right now.
I have a chiro appt tomorrw am and if this is still here monday Iwill be going in to see the doc. HubbyMan gave me two immodium (the doc said I could take some) I havent gone since. I am beginning to feel bloated tho.

Someone just shoot me. Im tired and cant fight anymore. Thank you all for walking with me thru this. It does help to know hat you all care.

asey

rob
11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Hey Kasey,

What kind of flight simulator does your son have? I play around with Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I have my pilots license, but I haven't flown in years. It's amazing how realistic the Microsoft Sim is. On the sim, I fly out of the same airport where I took most of my instruction, and it's just like the real deal, scenery and all.

It occupies me when I have a sleepless night. Still raining here. The rain doesn't really bother me. I wish you could get a break from the headache and jaw pain. I have problems with my TMJ too. It's miserable when it acts up. Makes it hard to eat. Take it easy, and get some rest.

lainy
11-14-2008, 03:25 AM
Noodlemom,
I have absolutely nothing constructively helpful to offer you; this is al so overwhelmingly new to me.
My heart just so went out to you, to the tone in your last post, and i had to write to you; did you ever think that maybe you are raising your son with amazing personality qualities that he wouldn't get it if you were healthy, bouncing-off-the-walls mom? lets face it, one day he will get married (hopefully); and im sure his wife will have her off days, and her sick days, and he is going to be so sensitive, so compassionate, so in touch with her - in fact they'll probably end up having a ton of babies cos he'l be SO helpful through her pregnancies. and not just his wife will benefit, but all his friends, workmates, children.. etc.. it's definitely not going to ruin him! please don't think you are a bad mom!

my dad was really sick for the majority of my life and it didn't make me feel neglected; it made me appreciate every smal thing he did, and it made me more sensitive and in touch and sympathetic(which wouldn't normally be my personality!!) and just so much more grateful for the people in my life.

i really hope that made you feel just a little brighter.

tell him you love him (i'm sure you already do). and that you love him doing the dishes. i'm sure he'll be blessed by that :-)

xxxxxx take care

NoodleMom
11-14-2008, 04:25 AM
rob, Im not sure what kind it is. But he certainly has a blast with it.

I have been up for a few hours. Woke up at 4:30 am. I didnt feel any head pain right away but I do now. HubbyMan made an appt. for me to see the doc this morning. He said we are not waiting anymore. I guess Im glad I sure hope that they can do something for me. Usually I can see the chiro and that knocks it out and away. Maybe?

lainy, Thank you. That was so kind of you to brighten my day. My boy is so sweet. Y-day as we were doing up some of the dishes he was talking about how ding dishes isnt fun. I agreed. He was so excited tho the night before to tell HubbyMan and his siblings that he did the dishes all by himself.

Hoping and praying I can get some relief today. Otherwise I may be just cranky enuf to chop it off.

Kasey

Vicki1112
01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I suffer from migraines and have found that the probiotics found in yogurt with active cultures can cause migraines. So can taking probiotic supplements.

Vicki1112
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I suffer from migraines and have found that the probiotics found in yogurt with active cultures can cause migraines. So can taking probiotic supplements.