PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need some input!

cherokee993
11-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone, I've been here off and on, between work (nurse) and school (graduate school) and my wonderful three year old son, I don't get on here as much as I would like to.

Well here is the lastest and I'm going to call my rheumy on monday to see what she thinks.

Friday evening at work I started itching bad and then it just got worse, I took benadryl, no help, took claritin and zyrtec (different days) no help really. Woke up this morning and it was worse all over my body and lips were swollen, I have these circular hives. Went to the ED and doc said its erythema multiforme and is an auto immune issue and I probably got exposed to strep or something and my body just responded in this way. I got a shot of steroids and a shot of benadryl to help, they are starting to fade but I'm still a bit itchy. I'm diabetic so being on steroids is a bad thing but I have no choice right now the itching and hives are horrible.

I asked if it could be related to Lupus and he said yes possibly.

Now I've not been diagnosed with lupus, instead my diagnosis is undifferentiated connective tissue disorder. I have a positive ana and joint pain and swelling.

I'm just wondering, I have to believe that this is all autoimmune related.

Now I'm off work for the next two days so I'm praying it gets better. I'm not scheduled tow ork again til saturday so hopefully a week will help me out some.

I'm going to call my rhuemy tomorrow and see what she thinks.

Just wondering if anyone else has this?

rob
11-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, I have a rash with swelling, circular hives, pretty much what you are experiencing. The itch is really bad. It burns, it's intense, and very little I do can make it subside once I get it. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004. Now I'm not a Dr. by any means, but it sounds to me like you could meet the diagnostic criteria for Lupus. There's a sticky article at the top of one of the forums here with the diagnostic criteria in full detail. You might want to read it, and possibly talk to your Dr./Rheumo about what you think. I would never want anyone to be diagnosed with this disease, but you can't fight the enemy before you identify it. Anyway, those are my thoughts and experience. Please let us know what you find out about this.

jaideni
11-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I had that same problem two years ago, but I thought I was having a reaction to chicken because I rarely eat it and had started to eat chicken breast everyday. I havent eaten it since then now maybe I could try it again. Those hives really suck and I thought my ne bf would be grossed out by them they were EVERYWHERE! I bought a bottle of aveeno and covered myself in it every few minutes it was horrible. Im glad you are getting treatment for it, hope you dont have to stay on the extra meds long since your diabetes needs to be properly controlled. Also tell me how you are doing with the school and working thing, Im only in school and I feel like quitting everyday. Also I was first diagnosed with SLE then downgraded to Mixed connective tissue disorder, they told me that its still lupus but that it hasnt affected my organs yet(athough it is in my lymphatic system) and thats why they decided to change diagnosis maybe its something similar to that. Good luck to you and to you too Rob, those hives really suck.

cherokee993
11-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Thank you for the information everyone. Yes I am being treated for Lupus even though I haven't as of yet met all of the criteria. I am treated with Plaquenil and jsut started that in late August.

So far I have the positive ANA, joint pain and swelling and some other small things but didn't meet the criteria as of yet. And we didn't want to give me that diagnosis if we could avoid it b/c I already have a chronic illness, I have type I juvenille onset, insulin dependent diabetes so one more chronic illness would be harsh. But if I have it I have it. I need to know.

I am interested in seeing what she says about this rash for sure!