PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Medical ID Bracelet or Card?

Jesse
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
This discussion came up a while ago on another board I used to frequent and it's an important topic to discuss. Many of us take toxic drugs to control our disease and in the event of a medical emergency, it's very important that the medical staff know what we're currently taking. If we can't speak for ourselves, they won't have the information they need. When I first started MTX I read that a medical bracelet was recommended so no contraindicated drugs would mistakenly be given during an emergency. When I asked my RD about this, he agreed it was a good idea. Now, I know myself and I know I won't wear a bracelet every day, so I have a medical card that I keep in an easily seen part of my wallet that lists what I take, how often and how much along with my diagnosis, blood type, etc. There is even an on-line card that you can print out but I don't remember the name of it right now, sorry. A Google search should make it easy enough to find if you're interested.

Anyway, I just wanted to alert any of you who don't already do this as to the importance of keeping accurate medical information handy. It could save your life!

janet-78
11-29-2008, 07:30 PM
ive nva heard of such a thing
only for diabetic or other medical conditions
i'd love to wear a bracelet of some kind for lupus!

sits_inthe_corner
11-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I keep a list of all my medications and allergies in my wallet at all times.

I never gave much thought to medical alert. My husband has a bracellet, but he refuses to wear it....sigh.

I think the arthrotec I am taking might thin my blood a bit, but not enough to worry about. But I'll ask my doctor about this.

Good point ... thanks for bringing it up janet.

Saysusie
11-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I keep a list on a laminated card in my wallet also. I keep it behind my driver's license. It is a very good idea to keep your listed drugs on you. Thanx for the info!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Jesse
11-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Since I first started this thread, I decided to order a Medic Alert ID necklace in addition to the information card I keep in my wallet. I'm being pretty good about remembering to wear it every day. It has my name, blood type, allergies, a note saying "immunosuppressed" and a note to see my wallet for further information. I think the combination of the necklace and wallet card ensures that medical personnel won't accidentially give me something that will cause trouble with my current meds.

Saysusie
12-01-2008, 01:08 PM
The necklace is a good idea. I will keep a necklace on, but not a bracelet. Did you order it online?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Jesse
12-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, I did and they did a great job. They got everything right the first time. Google Medic Alert and you should be able to find it. If you have any difficulty, let me know and I'll find the actual link.

Saysusie
12-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanx, found it and ordered one for me and for my Mother.

:lol:
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Danica01
12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the information! I am going to look at them right now :D

Gurkinbabies
12-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I have a rare blood type and have in the past taken several different meds. On EbAY you can find Red dogtags that ill be custom engraved for you. As an EMT i am trined to not only look for a Medical ID bracelet but also look in socks, shoes, bras and on neck chains. Red is the color for Medical so red dog tags are a good option for people who dont wear jewelry and socks are a good place to keep them. The Idea of a list in your wallet behind your I.D. is also great because we look in your wallet for you info also Some newer cell phones have the option to program info like emergency numbers and it i highlighted in red under "in case of emergency".
Just some ideas

Saysusie
12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Good information. Thanx :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

iseedeadmonkeys
12-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Hey!

I checked out that website you was chatting about, and its excellent im getting one, as they have a uk site too, thanx again ive been looking for something like this since 97, xx

Danica01
12-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I ordered mine about a week and a half ago :!: :!: How long did it take for everyone else to get theirs :?: Thanks for the information and me and my family are very thankful that I have one coming in the mail soon!!!!

Danica

:x-mas:

Gurkinbabies
12-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Mine came in about 4 buisness days but i lived like 4 hours from the guys house where he makes them. I would think yours woul get to you within 2 weeks. I hapy to hear people are checking them out. I think they are a much beter alternative.

Danica01
12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks! I will keep an eye out for it this week!

:x-mas:

iseedeadmonkeys
12-23-2008, 05:18 AM
im gonna get one payday :D i want the sports yellow braclet one i think that would look kinda funky on my wrist hahaha i like bold bright things x

Danica01
12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I just received my bracelet :!: It is perfect and all of my family members feel so relieved that I have one. I never knew how they worried about me while driving or even just working or shopping. They all knew about my Lupus and Asthma but the stranger next to me doesn't and what would happen if something happened to me while out and about around strangers :?: Well, now they are resting a bit easier now. I picked one out that has blue beads, blue is my favorite color, so it makes it a little prettier and just my style :!: :!: Thank you for posting about this :wink: I am so thankful and so is my family :angel:

Jesse
12-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I've been quite good about wearing the necklace I ordered, but I find I don't like it when the chain is visible when wearing a V-neck sweater, so I'm going to order a bracelet next so I'll have two options. I'm glad to read about those of you who are now wearing medical ID.

iseedeadmonkeys
12-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Hiya ive just this min ordered mine :D took ages to work out wot to write on it lol, i decided against the sports band and went for the dog tag......tis more me 8) cheers again oh and its coming 12th jan which falls on a monday, something to look forward too lol x

Danica01
01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I am so happy you ordered one :D I only take mine off when I am showering and I am slowly getting used to it while I sleep :wink: My family and friends are so happy and relieved that I finally have one :!:

Hiya ive just this min ordered mine :D took ages to work out wot to write on it lol, i decided against the sports band and went for the dog tag......tis more me 8) cheers again oh and its coming 12th jan which falls on a monday, something to look forward too lol x

iseedeadmonkeys
01-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Its come already lol i was sposed to get it 12th jan, but it came this morning :D:D:D:D, oh i just opened it, its really nice :D thanx again for giving me the info, everyone who i know will be happier taking me out now lolol xx

Danica01
01-07-2009, 12:06 AM
I am so happy you got it and love it :!: :!: :!: I had to laugh because you are right, people are a little more at ease with us now that we have them......hehehehe :P

Its come already lol i was sposed to get it 12th jan, but it came this morning :D:D:D:D, oh i just opened it, its really nice :D thanx again for giving me the info, everyone who i know will be happier taking me out now lolol xx

iseedeadmonkeys
01-07-2009, 05:47 AM
And the best thing is i dont have to carry around that darn yellow book everywhere or bag come to that i can leave them all at home!! :D happy days:D

Danica01
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I know! I was very happy to get rid of all my lists that we always had to carry! Now it is on a little card in my walet and I am much happier!!!!

tenlives
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I have something to add about making sure medical issues can be addressed if you are unable to communicate - my son was in a near-fatal accident last year - if you can possibly imagine, my husband and I saw it on the 11pm news, helicopter, police and all. We had not been notified and it had been 12 hours since the accident at that point - long story short, I learned from the state police that they do not notify next of kin unless the victim is a minor or dies. Because of the Hippa (privacy) laws, even though my son had his phone with Mom, Dad, etc. they are not allowed to call unless he had designated someone his ICE contact (In Case of Emergency). While he was in rehab, our local paper printed a very informative article about this - just put ICE and someone's name (spouse,etc) on your phone - there are also online companies which act as your ICE contact - for a fee. You carry their card. His story has a remarkable ending - after a month in a coma and almost a year in a wheelchair, multiple surgeries, he has gone back to college and is still working toward a Ph.d in Chemistry. Strong spirit! I have attached a small laminated card with diagnosis and medications to the back of my driver's license as well. I just found this site within the past week - do you only have messages, or do you have a chat function as well? Thanks and I hope everyone will ICE.

Danica01
01-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Welcome and thank you for sharing your story! Your story is amazing and I am so glad that your son is doing well and that he was able to recover and go back to a normal life. That is one of the reasons I bought the bracelet. The website allows you to update your information including medications, when you take them, doctors and contact information. The company also prints out a card for you to keep on you at all times.I also love the fact that when I go into the hospital all they have to do is punch in the code from my bracelet and all my information is pulled up, right there in front of them! I do not have to worry about anything! This takes a lot of stress off of me and my loved ones. It is very important that you always carry something like that just in case!

I have something to add about making sure medical issues can be addressed if you are unable to communicate - my son was in a near-fatal accident last year - if you can possibly imagine, my husband and I saw it on the 11pm news, helicopter, police and all. We had not been notified and it had been 12 hours since the accident at that point - long story short, I learned from the state police that they do not notify next of kin unless the victim is a minor or dies. Because of the Hippa (privacy) laws, even though my son had his phone with Mom, Dad, etc. they are not allowed to call unless he had designated someone his ICE contact (In Case of Emergency). While he was in rehab, our local paper printed a very informative article about this - just put ICE and someone's name (spouse,etc) on your phone - there are also online companies which act as your ICE contact - for a fee. You carry their card. His story has a remarkable ending - after a month in a coma and almost a year in a wheelchair, multiple surgeries, he has gone back to college and is still working toward a Ph.d in Chemistry. Strong spirit! I have attached a small laminated card with diagnosis and medications to the back of my driver's license as well. I just found this site within the past week - do you only have messages, or do you have a chat function as well? Thanks and I hope everyone will ICE.

summerdragonfly
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I actually recieved a form from a hospital i stayed at after my kidney transplant to get a med ID braclet for $5.00 (anyone that has one knows thats a HECK of Deal), I also keep a card im my wallet (my husband does too), im actually thinking of getting some of my medical issues tattooed on my forarm, seeing as how i will have these problems for the rest of my life. Then i know that if something does happen and for some reason I dont have my card or braclet, they will see it on my arm where blood is usually drawn.
There are many ways to make your condition known, look at this site maybe there might be other alternatives otherthan a bracelet. They have so many options now that you can get something that doesnt realy LOOK like a medical ID, but still lets medical staff know. GOOD LUCK!

Davita28
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
thanks for the advice i just ordered my medic alert bracelet this is such a good idea because i dont live around any one that knows my medical problems.

Angel Oliver
06-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Micro this is it.xxxxxxxx

iseedeadmonkeys
06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Who are u repling to angel?

im confused...which doesnt take much i kno :)

peace and love
ISDM
xxx

Angel Oliver
06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh it was Micro medic.She has a small wrist so wanted to know where she could get one from.Can anyone help her?

love
Amanda.xxxx

MicRoMediC
06-03-2009, 04:19 PM
hahahaha, thanks angel...i figured it out...lol

Angel Oliver
06-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Its ok.Ive not looked at it.If its no good i'll look elsewhere for you.x

AyahsClan
06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
A bracelet actually did save my life a few years back. I had accidentely eaten raw seafood and contracted a microbe that I can't remember the name of. At the time my liver was in bad shape from HH. This particular bug could kill an HH patient overnight if not treated aggressively.

The emergency room doctor did not know what to do, I was sick for sure, vomiting, fever, but all he could do was watch my vitals. I had my bracelet on with a number of the founder of the HH assoc. Founder hooked him up with the expert in this field back east and they started me on the right iv drugs.

I haven't worn one for a long time, the card thing sounds better but you can get separated from a wallet/purse. Maybe time for a new one but I always run into a lack of space.

Rastagirl
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks for this information. I wasn't aware at all....last night I told my husband about it, and added an ICE contact with my husband's name on my cell phone.

Hopefully it won't ever need to be used, but I thought....better safe than sorry.

MicroMedic....and Angel....I've got a super tiny wrist too, will you let me know if you find anything that will work. Hey, I just had a thought....maybe they have Pediatric size ones for kids that would work for us.

I'm off to google it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:cool2: Lori

p.s. Ayahs....very scary stuff. I'm so glad it turned out okay for you. Thank goodness you were wearing your medical ID.