PDA

View Full Version : pain that makes you ' nutty '

Angie
03-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Someone please tell me that they have had episodes of pain that you really did think something else had to be wrong besides just having Lupus. I get these periodic times that the pain in my arms, hands, elbows, hips, wherever it decides to bless me with it's presence is unbearable. I cannot take nsaid's b/c of kidney problems, and the pain med's just don't work at these times. Can Lupus pain really be this bad ? Then just as it comes, it goes. I joke to my husband I need to walk around with a morphine pump, but in all honesty, I don't even think that would help. I cannot get comfortable, can't sleep, swell in joints, feel weak. anyone else in my boat ?

Angie

Saysusie
03-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Hi Angie;
Most of us suffer from some form of chronic pain with Lupus. Generally, the first line of defense has always been pharmacological. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) have been used to treat mild cases. However, for more intense pain that does not respond to NSAIDs or for those who cannot tolerate NSAIDs, narcotic analgesics, such as demerol and morphine, has been used.
Some patients have used alternative therapies such as hyonosis and magnetic stimulation therapy. I found the following article written by Dr. P. Logue regarding hypnosis:
"It is known that a patient's cognitive and emotional state can influence their physiological system. Changes in their physiological state can affect their overall function. This intimate mind/body relationship can be used to treat painful pain....hypnosis can induce a state of relaxation, calmness and peacefulness, even in the midst of external distress. This temporary state of calm can effectively reduce a patient's subjective experience of pain." Another fairly new type of therapy for chronic pain is magnetic stimulation.
Perception of pain is as individual as each person. What works for one person may not work for another. It is suggested that pain sufferers experiment with different therapies...start with the least invasive, or least expensive, therapies and go on from there. The main thing to remember is that no one needs to suffer needlessly.
Here are some books that might be helpful:
The Lupus Book: A Guide for Patients and Their Families by Daniel J. Wallace
New Hope for People With Lupus: Your Friendly, Authoritive Guide to the Latest in Traditional and Complementary Solutions by Sara J. Henry.

Best of Luch managing you pain..You are NOT ALONE

Saysusie