PDA

View Full Version : Is Heat Therapy Good?

frekkuls
10-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I forgot to ask my Rhumy about this, but I love heat. I use a heating pad/hot water bottle every night, and I live for sessions in a hottub or hotsprings as often as I can get to one. I seems to temporarily help the joint pain.

Is soaking like that good for the joints or am I causing myself damage??

buddhabelly
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
:idea: Hot packs may help relax tightened and sore muscles around the joint.
Using moist heat is especially useful in treating back pain caused by muscle spasms from strain and tension. The heat and rest will gradually relax the muscle in spasm, give joint pain treatment restoring its normal length and relieving pain.

But if you have any inflammation, swelling or immediately after an injury, use an ice pack instead for 15-20 minutes before switching to heat. Ice packs can also be used for joint pain. Dont use ice if you have poor circulation or vasculitis.

If using hot or cold packs, use for only 15-20 minutes at a time. Also dont forget to put a towel between your skin and the hot/cold pack.

I know you love soaking in a hottub and warm water, but make sure the water isnt too hot. This may cause dizziness or fatigue.

Hope this helps out! :wink:

frekkuls
10-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Buddhabelly. I knew most of that to be true, but not all things that used to be true, still are. Thanks for the back up.

buddhabelly
10-29-2008, 05:35 PM
:) Hi frekkuls!

Just wanted to check up on you. How are you feeling today? How's the weather up where you live? Its gotten nippy here in NJ. Its supposed to drop to the 30s tonight. Brrrrrr... :(

frekkuls
10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Buddhabelly!!!
Do people call you Buddha for short? :D
I'm fair today. Nothing specific, just a little off here and there. I guess that makes it a good day, lol. I live in the Southern part of the rocky mountains at 8,100 feet elevation. It has started getting crazy cold here at night!!! Got my warmers in my slippers tonight!!!

How about you? I've been enjoying our exchanges!! Thank you

buddhabelly
10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
No, Silly. :lol: BuddhaBelly is my dog's name.

I need to get a new pair of slippers because my feet are ice cold. Ive been living out of my Uggs boots. Invested in 3 pairs in different styles and colors. They are so comfy and oh so warm. Wish I can wear them all the time, but I do whenever I can. :)

I need to move to Hawaii or the Carribbean because I hate the cold. Been living in NY/NJ all my life, and I still hate the winters.

frekkuls
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh!!!
I've heard Uggs are wonderful, what makes them the best?? Never had a pair.
You can't move to either of those places!!! The Sun!!!! There isn't enough sunscreen!!!!

buddhabelly
10-29-2008, 07:20 PM
8) I'll stay in the shade if I needed to. I just want it to be warm. 8)

Hey what are you doing up so late? No work tomorrow? By the way, what's the time difference there? Its almost 1030 here in NJ.

frekkuls
10-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm on Mountain time. so I'm two hours behind you.
No, I don't work anymore at a real job persay. I'm an artist and I do alot of my best work late at night, if I can.

I have insomnia spurts. What do you do out there in the East??