PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen for sensitive skin

buddhabelly
10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I need to find a new sunscreen to use on my face. My skin is very sensitive. :oops: My dermatologist gave me CeraVe facial cleanser and moisturing lotion to use. Ive been using it for over a year now, and Ive noticed a difference in my skin. Its become smoother with less breakouts, reddness, and irritation. I just weaned off using Elidel (pimecrolimus) cream 1%. My Dr prescribed me to use that during the time when my malar rash flared up, but now that it is less noticeable, I stopped using it recently. Been using it since last october.

I need a sunscreen that's non comedogenic, so it doesnt clog my pores. What do you use?

frekkuls
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi, I too have crazy sensitive skin and break out from everything it seems. I started using this new one a month ago and so far haven't had any reaction. Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer - Dry Touch sunblock - SPF 85 with helioplex broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection

After the first couple of weeks, I went back and bought 4 more bottles to have on hand.

buddhabelly
10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
8) That's the sunblock I used all over my body during the summer. I covered myself up with it when I went to florida. I have the SPF 70. It worked well. I like it because its not greasy and smelly like the other sunblocks out there. 8)

Didnt use it on my face though. Just cautious because my face is so sensitive to everything, especially lotion. Hmm, it does say its non comedogenic.

So do you apply a moisturizer on top of the sunblock? Im so embarrassed with all my questions. :oops:

Ill try some tomorrow. Ill try it out in a small part of my face to see if I get a reaction to it. Hope it works!

Thanks. :wink:

frekkuls
10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, start cautiously. That's how I did it. I was skeptical too because it's much thicker than anything that's worked for my face before. I put my "medicinal" stuff on first after washing, then put my sunscreen on, then top if off with a loose mineral face powder to try to tone down my red blotchies.

Of course I'll feel terrible for recommending it if doesn't work for you!!!
But we got try stuff.

buddhabelly
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
:?: One more question "frekkuls" so does that mean you dont use a moisturizer on top of the sunblock? My face gets so dry during the cold seasons. :(

sits_inthe_corner
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi buddhabelly

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if you have shoppers drug mart where you are, but the sell a product called Botanics.

It's a vitamin recovery mask. I don't usually go for stuff like this but I was desperate with dry itchy skin.

You smook it on and leave it for 10 minutes. It really does put the moisture back in the skin. But it aint cheap.

$10 for a small tube. I really like and I feel it's worth it. It's made from plant extracts and very gentle.

It's very light in colour.

I decided to try the mud mask that they make :shock: mistake, that sucks the moisture right out of my face. Ick.

frekkuls
10-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Buddhabelly,
Yes I definately moisturize. I put that on before my sunscreen. In my mind, that creates a barrier between my face and the sunblock.

I'm still getting some pimples, but my Doc. is sure it's from the Prednisone.

buddhabelly
10-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Okay, Ill try that combination. Ill moisturize then apply the sunblock. So glad that my moisturizing lotion and sunblock arent thick and greasy or else Id feel like my face is covered in a mask all day. :oops: Just afraid of breakouts... Wish my moisturizer came with an SPF.

Thanks for your advice.