PDA

View Full Version : ANA confused ?

luvinmyninja
10-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Can a ANA test just be negative or positive ? I thought it had to be like 1:40 or something not just none detected ?

KathyW1958
10-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Luvinmyninja,
I would think that if it is not detected that it is negative. I think that the ANA titer has to be greater then 1:80 to be considered positive. I am not sure, but I think I saw that in a post. Saysusie and Oluwa would have a better answer I am sure. I know my titer was 1:360 and speckle patterned and they said that it was positive. I hope that I have helped in some way here.

Hugs,
Kathy

luvinmyninja
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm just confused b/c there was no titer ?

KathyW1958
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi,
If there is no titer then you are not building any antibodies against the neucleus of your cells and that is a good thing. You could still have lupus even though you are not producing antibodies. It is strange, but it is the way that it is sometimes. You immune system is not producing antibodies to the cells in your body or at least not enough to be detected at this time. That is not to say that it won't be positive in the future. Lupus is a mighty strange illness big time. A person is not suppose to have antibodies against the neucleus of their cells. I hope that this helps to explain it.

Hugs,
Kathy

Saysusie
10-30-2008, 08:08 PM
That was an excellent explanation Kathy :lol:

Saysusie