PDA

View Full Version : forgetting to take my meds

jaideni
10-27-2008, 03:44 AM
I have been forgeting to take my meds for the last couple of weeks. Last week I can remember not doing so on atleast four different days. I always ask myself everyday in the afternoon did I take the pills, but lately, for whatever reason I have started to answer yes. I used to check but I always seem to flashback to seing myself taking them. I guess my brains recycling a memory and that is starting to worry me because I go through the day in pain feeling like I am getting worse because I clearly can remember taking the pills. I only notice somethings not right when I take my nighttime meds and see the whole days worth just sitting there. I feel like I am now truly losing my mind. I know I just need a new way of remembering to take them, but I cannot think of any right now. Notes dont work, I forget to read those. Any advice would help. I know it will take time to recondition my brain but I need help that will get me started on the right track.

hatlady
10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
I take my pills with breakfast and with my evening meal (dinner? supper? whatever you call it in your part of the country)

Usually I can remember because of that.

Can you put your meds out for each day and then, in the evening, look again to see if they're still sitting there? Might that work?

jaideni
10-27-2008, 01:14 PM
The only way I do remember is when I go to take my nighttime meds, I would consider taking them all at night but I have a couple that must be taken at certain intervals. I don't eat much throughout the day so I cannot depend on taking them with a meal because there are many days that I do not eat at all. I even have a see through pill container I got because of this same problem its just that because when I wake up I can remember taking the pills already so I am convinced by this memory and I just dont look again. I am trying to learn to check regardless of that little flashback but I am not catching on to it at all. I only remebered today because I was reminded my forgetful bf of something and I was like speaking of remembering things... No new tricks for me :? I gotta figure out something. I thought the meds were barely working, but going through the day without them is nearly impossible

sits_inthe_corner
10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey jaideni

Like everyone else, I'm taking pills several times a day with "special" instructions for each.

The only way I can keep track is to use a pill sorter. I bought a five day one but use it to ration out my day's worth of pills. Mon is my morning pills, tuesday are my lunch time pills, wednesy are my supper pills and thursday are my bed time pills. :D I leave friday empty.

If I forget whether I've taken them or not I can go back to the pill sorter and I know which ones should be empty or full depending on the time of day.

I have caught myself a few times, so it has come in handy.

DrinkofWtr
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I had the same problem. The pharmacist told me to chart my meds like they do in the hospital. Put down the names of all the meds and how many doses or pills you take each day and the times. Then you check off the doses or pills as you take them.

I have never worked in a hospital, but any nurses or doctors on this site could explain it better than me, as they have experience in this matter.