PDA

View Full Version : My GP ( family doctor)

Furrydog
10-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I went to see one the other month and told him about my joint pain and stiffness in the mornings and asked for some help with it e.g. physiotherapy or pain relief. He had all of my notes from the hospital where I see a rheumy but didn't really believe that I had lupus ''oh lots of people have these antibodies, they don't mean anything''

then I went to see another one the other day because I had an upset stomach that lasted for 3 days, and she wanted me to have all of my bloods including inflammatory markers done, in case it was a flare of lupus. I told her that i felt it was normal gastroenteritis and was going to her to get a sick note. But she insisted.

Anyway, I got better the next day ( as you do) from the stomach thing.

Why is it that one person went a bit over the top and the other one didn't believe me?

sits_inthe_corner
10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey Furrydog

Several people on this board who have been diagnosed for ages have had new doctor's question the diagnosis of lupus. It's very aggravating to say the least when they make you jump through the same hoops you've already jumped through.

I guess the best explanation is that medicine is not an exact science. Too much is left up to the individual doctor's interpretation.

But you already know that and just really need to vent about the stupidity of it all....and it is stupid.

Glad you're feeling better. If we all went for blood work every time we had a flare ... we might as well just bring a flipping sleeping bag to the clinic :lol:

Hang in there, and ummm ask rob how to deal with your doubting doc on the lupus diagnosis...I really liked how he delt with his :D

hatlady
10-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Yep, sits.... my primary care physician toldme that he doesn't look to closely at the tests for his lupus patients. He says he just listens to what they say. I've found I often feel "flare-iest" (is that a word?) when my tests look fabulous. And feel great when the numbers look awful.

I'm blessed with a great primary - he's the one who LISTENED in the first place and sent me for the right tests right away - instead of saying "its all in your head."

sits_inthe_corner
10-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm with you hatlady

I love my family doctor. She can be a little slow to move on something. But she likes to be sure of what direction she is going to follow and i appreciate that.

If you can't trust your doctor to be truely interested in your well being there's no point in seeing them.

Only reason why I go to my stinkyfaced rheumy is for the plaquenil. Other than that, she offers me no direction at all.

Furrydog
10-26-2008, 01:51 AM
its variable, they all work in the same practice and it depends on who you see.

It was nice that she was over cautious, but its just that I have very poor veins after having so much blood taken over the last 6 months, so she couldn't get blood. Then I had to go to the hospital for a nurse to take it.

Just a lot of hassle when I had only eaten a slightly dodgy takeaway :oops:

sits_inthe_corner
10-26-2008, 03:49 AM
Awww Furrydog

Makes for a rotten go of it.

I'm glad my tests and appointments have eased up. November is going to be busy though.

Back to see the grumbling rheumy, blood tests, appointment with my family doc, and I think I'm due for my 6 month eye test for the plaquenil, which means I'll be the better part of the day with out being able to see :P

LadyDragonflyMT
10-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I have to tell you, I transcribe medical records for a living. I used to do clinic work and now do hospital work.

In the family practice clinic I used to do, it was like they were stuck on stupid or something. They would run all of these blood tests and some would be positive for this or that and the GPs would run from diagnosis of anything. I have seen them pass out antidepressants for everything from a hang nail, to a difficult teenager at home, to gastritis, to chronic pain. It is as though happy pills are candy and everyone needs sweetening up.

You also have to know that in medicine there is a definite prejudice against women. We are medically more complex and we comprise the majority of AI suffers. It is easier for them to dismiss your problems as "women's complaints" or "somatic complaints" then to really assess you. So many of them believe that you go in there making up your symptoms to get attention, like you really want that sort of attention! What you want is help.

With having 2 AIs, I can tell you if you go in there and you are doing pretty well (which I absolutely am) and you don't seem sick, you must be dramatizing your symptoms. If you go in there looking terrible, feeling terrible and you are miserable, suddenly you are over dramatizing. I think what it really boils down to is that there is no so much they can do for you. Not all medications work for everyone, but goodness how can you know if they don't try??? We are ALL wanting to find that one thing that really works and gives us our lives back, at least to some degree. I am one of the extremely lucky people who find that 10 mg of prednisone is a miracle drug and I am about 80% to 85% of the person I was in my early 20s and I am 48 now. Perfect? No, not at all, but oh so very much better than I was 2 years ago before the daily prednisone.

We know there is no cure for this, we aren't stupid. We just want our lives to be BETTER. I don't understand why doctors often don't get this, and worse yet question our diagnosis and repeat all the tests so they can prove it themselves. More needs to be done for about the insensitivity of the medical profession.

KathyW1958
10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi LadyDragonflyMT,
I hear where you are comming from. I have had Lupus they believe since the age of 5 and I will be 50 in December. I did not get diagnosed until I was 36 and the Lupus darned near killed me! I had been to doctors repeatedly with the same complaints and new ones constantly only to be told that Lupus is not inherrited and that I was worrying and stressing needlessly etc. I would tell them that my sister has it and that I had an Aunt who died from lupus heart disease and shoot they still would not listen to me. It was terrible. I had one doctor to tell me to go out and get drunk! I was constantly made to feel like a hypochondriac. I finally had to get nasty and demand that I be listened to or the doctor would not get paid and things like that. I got the chickenpox at the age of 35 and my health took a serious nose dive and darn I nearly died. This is when they finally decided that there was a serious problem here, go figure. I got diagnosed and sent right to a Rheumatologist who told me that I had the most classic case of Systemic Lupus that he had seen in years. Isn't that a kick in the pants! He put me on several medications and I have done so so since. I constantly have flares and remissions etc and my doctor told me that I will be on medications for the rest of my life. Oh well. I too agree that the doctors need to listen to women more closely. I wonder sometimes how many women have died due to the doctors not listening to them. It is sad indeed.

Hugs,
Kathy