PDA

View Full Version : Azathioprine And Quinacrine

KayShu
10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
:?:Hello

This is my first time on the site. I have Lupus Systemic Erythematosus.

I just started taking Azathioprine today, the doctor is trying to decrease my prednisone which I have been taking steady for 2 yrs because my kidneys failed after the lupus attacked them. They did start working again but we can't seem to get the lupus back under control. Is anyone taking this drug and what if any problems have you had.

The Quinacrine (which is a drup that has to be made at a pharmacy so it is not that common) was given to me to stop a bad itchy sore red rash that covered my back, chest, arms and even on my scalp. This drug worked within weeks even though the doc said it could take months.

I am taking plaquinel, prednisone, blood pressure and water pills and as of today Azathioprine.

Thank you for reading my post.

34 Years of Lupus and still going strong
Karen

Oluwa
10-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Karen...

Welcome...tight hugs...

I don't have any experience with the drug, but a few, not many have mentioned using it.

That is great the Quinacrine resolved your rash. I am on Plaquenil, but that didn't contain my recent bout with a rash I had for weeks. They stepped it up.... 60mg of Prednisone. It surrender immediately, though on a two regime. Weaning myself off, now at 20 mg. No encore from the rash..yet. Crossing my fingers.

Again welcome...I, we are glad you found us.

Be well.
Hugs,
Oluwa

KathyW1958
10-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Karen,
I read where the doctor just put you on Imuran. It is the other name for Aziathioprine. I have been on it for several years with pretty good results. I don't have very many side affects from it. I had more adverse side affects from the Prednisone. I was put on the Imuran due to heart and lung involvement and a bad case of Pompholyx Eczema on my hands and feet. I hope that the medication helps you a lot. I have been lucky that so far the Lupus has not affected my kidneys that I know of. Please post and let us know how you are doing on the Imuran. I hope that you don't have any problems with it.

Hugs,
Kathy