PDA

View Full Version : Fevers and Motrin

busymom3
10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
How many of you run a fever on a regular basis? I have been monitoring my temp for the past month because I have felt pretty lousy. Some days I am running a temp. I had a rheumy appt and I had a fever. I am not sure what he thought about that. He didn't say. I saw him for 5 minutes again. He did take a bunch of x-rays. He didn't re-run any of my blood work except for my Vit. D level.

Also, how much Motrin do you take? He wants me to take 800 mg/ 3x a day. I think that is kind of a lot. I have pain almost all the time, but I like to save the painkillers for when it is really bad. I don't want to hurt my liver if I can manage the pain. Or am I wrong in thinking that?

Thanks!

cheryl_v
10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi busymom3. I've been given that dose before. Its for inflimmation pain. Cut the inflimmation down, the pain eases. My doc recommended taking an acid reducer every morning and night, to cut down on it hurting my stomache lining from a high dose. Wal-mart has a generic brand for cheap price. It comes in 30-120 count bottles. Hope this helps.

deester
10-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I get fevers all the time to. I hate them. they make my head buzz. I always just take tylenol and motrin on a rotating schedule Motrin the 2 hours take tylenol, after 2 hours take the motrin again. It helps get the buzz out of my head.

Saysusie
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Fever is often a part of lupus. For some people with lupus, an intermittent (coming and going) or continuous low-grade fever is normal. For other people, especially those on large doses of aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or corticosteroids, they may not have fever at all because these drugs may mask a fever.

Be alert to a temperature that is new or higher than normal for you, because it could be a sign of a developing infection or a lupus flare. If you have lupus, you may be more vulnerable to certain infections than are other people without lupus. In addition, you may be more prone to infection if you are taking any immunosuppressive drugs for your lupus.

When checking your temperature & finding that you have a fever, it is always good to rule out any type of infection (especially since Lupus patients live with a compromised immune system and also when they are on immunosuppressive medication (steroids, etc)). If infection is ruled out, the fever can be from active lupus disease or `lupus flare`. The question then becomes, where is the disease flaring? A flare can present with joint inflammation, pleurisy, pericarditis, rashes, oral sores, or an organ involvement accompanied by fatigue, fever, and general malaise. It is important to evaluate and see where your disease is flaring because this changes the type of treatment given. Having a higher-than-usual dsDNA and a low complement panel, low blood counts or urine abnormalities points towards a lupus flare.

The official definition of a fever is 99.6ºF or greater (most of us have 98.6ºF as a normal temperature). Many lupus patients chronically run temperatures one to two degrees above normal without any symptoms.
Fever is often one of the early signs of lupus. It can be caused by an infection due to a complication of lupus, commonly urinary tract infections and respiratory infections; inflammation of an organ such as the heart (pericarditis), or the lungs (pleurisy).

Take your temperature at least once a day (or more often if needed) to determine what a “normal” temperature is for you. Take your temperature and watch for a fever any time you feel chills or do not feel well. Call your doctor immediately if you have a new or higher-than-normal temperature.

Even if you don’t have a fever, don’t hesitate to call your doctor if you do not feel well in any way, particularly if you are taking aspirin, NSAIDs, or a corticosteroid. Signs of infection other than a fever include unusual pain, cramping or swelling, a headache with neck stiffness, cold or flu symptoms, trouble breathing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or changes in urine or stool.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
10-18-2008, 02:31 AM
I ususally have an anti fever. I know I'm getting really sick when my temp drops to 96 or 95 f.