PDA

View Full Version : My feet are freezing

NoodleMom
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
and I cant get them warm. Socks, slippers wool socks. Nothing is working. It is not even really cold here yet.

rob
10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Mine too, and it's not really cold here yet either. Warm water is the only thing that helps me. Soak your feet as long as you can in warm water. Dry them off well as that seems to keep the chills away for a bit. It's weird, but many times my feet get warmed up, and then they feel like they are burning up. Too hot. It's hard to understand. It's a neverending fight some days, you find a solution, and IT changes the rules.

sits_inthe_corner
10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
:( I miss the warmth of summer.

The skin on my legs is burning. I hate that. No amount of lotion helps.

My neck and shoulders are freezing no matter how I bundle up. Hot bath is the only answer.

Even my lips are cold. :P

deester
10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Same here. Hot soaks are all that works. Right now we only have a shower, no tub and it is killing me! I was going to my mom's for hot soaks but now that it is getting colder going outside defeats the purpous! As if that isnt bad enough we have a stone basement with stone flooring in the kitchen and bathroom! BRRRR. my poor feetsies. i throw 3 towels on the bathroom floor to buffer my feet from it and soak my feet or shower. Hubby turned up the water tank for me so the water stays hot longer to!

kittyjo
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Yep, me too...
I've had very cold hands and feet since I was a child. My mother would try soaking them in warm water and swear that my feet chilled the water she soon as she put them in.
As a teen I had to undergo physical therapy and surgery for sports related injuries_ Therapists and nusing could not understand how my feet could be so cold, they tried everything to warm them up.
When I was married,(divorced now) my husband could not stand how cold my feet, hands, nose and fanny would be and would not let me near to snuggle, instead electric blankets and even electric socks_ but they would still be cold! Ahhh, but if they do warm up then they are too hot, too sweaty... which makes them cool off and the whole darn thing starts over again.

jaideni
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
My hands and feet are alway freezing. Its so weird I have to have a fan and the heat on or the air and lots of blankets. I hate it sometimes my upperback will freeze too. In fact one of my complaints for tomorrows appt is that once my toes ot really cold and now one of them has changed in color a little and the feeling in it is just not right

sits_inthe_corner
10-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Poor circulation of the blood is why the furthest points of our bodies get cold; feet, hands, butt.

The further away from the heart, the colder the body part. Hot baths or showers warm the blood up as well as the skin.

I my feet and hands always feel warmer after I do my work out. Over all I feel better. But I cant bust into my work out every time I feel my hands and feet going cold. :lol: I'd look like an idiot.

coltsfan
10-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Biggest complaint from my husband. 'YOUR FEET ARE FREEZING!'
And if always being cold isn't bad enough, my boss here at the office is always HOT, so I have to wear sweaters and jackets in the heat of summer because it is so cold in here, and they don't turn off the air when winter gets here.

sits_inthe_corner
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM
He coltsfan,

Bring a perscription from your doctor for a small heater to be kept near your desk :lol:

And give it to your boss!

coltsfan
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey SITC,
What an excellent idea. I think he would absolutely love that!! :wink:
He is about a foot or so taller than I am. I am constantly telling him that the air must be a lot hotter up there, cause it is freezing down here.
I heard once that men have more blood than women, that's why they aren't ever cold. Don't know if it's true or not.

sits_inthe_corner
10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I could say something about the reason why men have more blood than women but I don't want my good buddy rob to have to ban me :lol:

So I'll hush :lilangel: taking the high road here :)

hatlady
10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh Sits you are funny!

Yes, I get the cold feet that warm up to sweaty....yuck!

Hot baths are the only thing that will warm me through. Once the fingers and toes start freezing it is just miserable!

Cdn Grl
10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I am always cold...feet, hands (amazing one hand-my right is so much colder that my left) and sometimes my nose.
I had to have my Thyroid removed 10 years ago and I always assumed the problem was from that...but now I'm thinking it was my Lupus all along. It has gotten much worse tho' post Thyroid.
Doesn't matter how many layers of clothing that I have on...regardless I have to have a hot bath every day. Winter and summer.
Makes a nicer bath if you add some Epsom salts too!
Good for aches and stiffness.

sits_inthe_corner
10-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Kelly,

Have you spoken with your doctor about this? Odd that one hand would be that much colder than the other.

I really think this is something you need to see your doctor about if you haven't already.

coltsfan
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I would definitely mention the one hand thing to the doc too. My right hand will get colder, but only when I am using the mouse alot.

SITC, I wouldn't want rob to have to ban you either. We'll just smile and say, 'what did you think I meant?' haha

rob
10-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I could say something about the reason why men have more blood than women but I don't want my good buddy rob to have to ban me :lol:

So I'll hush :lilangel: taking the high road here :)

Susan, don't forget that I respond well to cookies. If you ever get in trouble here, just send me cookies, and all will be forgiven.

P.S. Snickerdoodles or Chocolate Chip are preferred. :lol:

busymom3
10-15-2008, 08:14 PM
I forgot how cold I was last winter, and it is only October. My feet got cold this morning and I still haven't been able to warm them.
My feet get so cold that they are painful. I am going to have to invest in some serious wool socks.

NoodleMom
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow!! I thought I was the only one. I have t take hot soaks in the tub to warm the bones. My feet are the problems right now but as it gets colder I just cannot warm up. And yet I do the cold sweats at night and wake up soaking wet. What is that about?

HubbyMan is buying me some lambswool and suede slippers. Oh I hope they will warm up my feet. I too have the feet get warm and then they sweat.
We just moved from a warmer climate to this one which is colder so I am having a difficult time adjusting to the climate.

Kasey

mnjodette
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
If fingers (or toes) are turning color, that could be Raynaud's. It's a not-uncommon condition for people with lupus. If you have Raynaud's as a result of another condition (like lupus) then it's called 'secondary Raynaud's.' If you have Raynaud's by itself, with no underlying condition it's called primary Raynaud's. In either case, It's important to keep yourself warm if Raynaud's is the problem. And, not just your hands and feet - your core body temperature, too. Lots of layers helps. Here's a link about Raynauds. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

NoodleMom
10-19-2008, 08:42 AM
HubbyMan brought home my wonderfully warm slippers. Lambs wool on the inside and suede on the outer. Very very warm and squishy too. So comfy cozy are my feet now.

K

jaideni
10-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I just got diagnosed with Raynauds last week. I am currently wearing three pairs of socks and I am still freezing just about everywhere except for my abdominal region and my back. I saw some warming boots and gloves on walmarts website I want to try I hope they work

sits_inthe_corner
10-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Awww hugs jaideni

It's going to be a long cold winter :(

I hate winter and fall....only spring (because it is getting warmer) and summer do I feel close to human.

buddhabelly
10-19-2008, 02:25 PM
We've had a warm fall so far, but its becoming colder and colder each day. The temps dropped to the high 50s and hitting 40s tonight. Brrrrr.

Ive noticed my feet, nose, and hands get ice cold during the cold seasons. Ive noticed especially when Im on the computer, my fingers of my right hand gets colder than my left. It maybe because of using the mouse, but I do use both hands to type, and the left hand seems to be warmer. Never noticed this before being diagnosed with SLE. Is this something to be concerned about? I just ignore it and sit on my hands while I read posts online.

I wrote a post once complaining about hot feet during the summer. There are times when they get so hot, I put icepacks on them while I sleep at night. My hands too tend to get hot and swell up during the summer.

Why can't it be spring all year long 8)

chrstngrl
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
My right hand gets cold when I use the mouse too much also, or when I sleep on my right side.

I have only recently (within last 6 months) had trouble with cold feet. I have ALWAYS been hot - sticking my feet out of the covers. 72 is starting to get too hot for me. Now, it can be 80 and I'm in slippers. My brow is sweating and my feet are ice cubes.

For those of you who have cold feet also, is this the norm for you, or did this happen after the lupus came up?

I saw an endocrinologist today about my thyroid (goiter/nodules) and she says that for me, the thyroid doesn't explain my cold feet. I'm really curious about the link to lupus.

This forum rocks :)

sprant
10-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Hey all,

I have had a chuckle to myself reading your posts to this topic because circulation is not my bodies forte.

I went to the doctor because my feet just couldn't get warm and I kept getting chillbains that wouldn't go away. When he asked me to take off my shoe and had a look he said, "wow I don't like the look of that" (my toes were very blue). He put me on medication to help with the circulation, but still I get bouts of raynauds (numb hands and feet).

I just cant keep warm. mmmmmmmmm

Pleased I'm not the only one.

buddhabelly
10-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Brrr... Its gotten so cold so fast. Wasnt it in the mid 70's just last week? I must be living in the wrong area. Sunny with no humidity temps in the mid 70's to low 80's is perfect 8)

I'm in search of a new rheumie because my last one doesnt take my insurance anymore. I cant afford to go to a doctor that's out of network with my insurance. As soon as I find one, I need to ask her about my cold hands and feet. And why does my right fingertips feel so much colder than my left? :? I need to sit on my hands to warm up in between posts. Brrrr... :puppydogeyes:

frekkuls
10-28-2008, 10:30 AM
I keep those disposable little packets that create heat around all the time. I find them in the hunting/fishing department of the stores. They aren't expensive, but it does add up!!! They make ones for feet and hands. I put them in my slippers all the time!!!

My other help is my hot water bottle. It's my bestfriend. I usually keep it on my lap while working, and continuously put my hands on it to keep my fingers warm and in less pain. I use it by my feet at night when I crawl into bed. I've been thinking of getting another one so I can have two going!!

buddhabelly
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
frekkuls--

I now use a big heat pad every night. My boyfriend gave it to me as a gift because he knew Im always cold. I heat it up in the microwave for a couple minutes. It gives off a relaxing scent of vanilla lavender. It keeps me toasty when I sleep at night.

Im going to start using it while I type on the computer. My fingers get so cold. While Im not typing, I have my hands in my pocket or I sit on them to warm them up.

Soooooo cold. :(

DrinkofWtr
10-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Noodlemom,

I have had the cold feet problem ever since I was a little girl. I have found, now that I am grown up, that short walks help. It helps my cold hands too, as it gets the circulation going. My Dr. was the one who suggested this remedy. When I don't go walking the hands and feet get cold again. Of course, it's hard to go walking if you live in a cold climate this time of year. Perhaps, you could go mall walking, if you are able to get around o.k. I know some of us Lupus patients have trouble with mobility and I don't know if you are one of them or not.

There is always something to keep you hopping :)

DrinkofWtr
10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Speaking of the weather it has been crazy here in Oxnard,CA. Just a couple of days ago the weather was in the 90's for about 4 days. One day it got up to 95. I think it was even hotter than that as I live in a two story apt. Then it pummeted into the 70's and now it is even colder, probably in the 60's or low 70's. I wish I could have an outdoor thermometer where I live, but no patio or back porch. The way things get stolen around here, if I put it where everyone can see it, it will get broken or stolen in no time.

coltsfan
10-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh DrinkofWtr,
I would love to have a taste of your 70s right now. I live in Indiana, it is currently 39 degrees here. BURRRRR!!

buddhabelly
10-29-2008, 05:48 PM
8) 90's wow, that's HOT! Id trade places with you ,DrinkofWtr, because Id rather have those temps right now. When I left work tonight @8pm, my thermometer in my truck read 40 degrees. And its supposed to drop to the 30's. :(

And walking does help my cold feet and and hands. I ended up doing laps around the mall last saturday (raining all day that day). My feet and fingers got toasty (I wore my Uggs which helped warm my toes) while I was walking the mall. And at the same time, I got to do a little shopping. :wink: