PDA

View Full Version : Protein in urine!!!!!!

purplepinkgirl
10-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi
I am extremely nervous, I had my 6 week blood work and they found a trace of protein in my urine, during this last blood work (fri) now my protein in the urine says 30. I dont know what that means, my doc called me and told me they will be doing a 24hr urine test and that I will see a kidney doc in about 2 days. I dont urinate frequently maybe 2 to 3 times a day. I am curious, does anyone have any advice? What will happen?

karmellkisses
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi....i have been spilling protein in my urine also....sometimes 3+...it's alot....i now see a nephrologist and have 24 hr urines done almost monthly....i also had to have a kidney biopsy...more than likely your doctors suspect that your lupus is affecting your kidneys.....maybe that there is a lesion present in one of them.....don't be surprised if they recommend a biopsy or even change your meds.....my dr. put me on cellcept which is seeming to help. Hope this lil info helps you.

:smilecolros:

Saysusie
10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
About 90 percent of lupus patients will have some kidney damage. Kidney damage from lupus can be mild or severe. It can cause damage to the filtering units (glomeruli) of the kidney. Since these filtering units clear your blood of waste, damage to them can cause your kidneys to work poorly or not at all.
Lupus nephritis is the name given to the kidney disease caused by systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus nephritis occurs when autoantibodies form or are deposited in the glomeruli. Lupus nephritis is also known as lupus glomerulonephritis or lupus glomerular disease. Lupus nephritis (kidney disease) can be detected by finding abnormalities in the urine (such as an increase in the amount of protein) or the blood (such as a decrease in kidney function or elevated creatinine). If the disease is felt to be clinically significant, a renal biopsy (kidney biopsy) may be recommended.
24-hour urine protein measures the amount of protein excreted in urine over a 24-hour period. The 24 hour urine is a routine test given to Lupus patients. Healthy people may have higher-than-normal urine protein levels after strenuous exercise or with dehydration. Some foods may affect urine protein levels. If the lupus patient is losing protein in the urine ('proteinuria') then the amount may need to be quantified. For this reason, a 24-hour urine preparation is required. All the urine over a full 24-hour period is collected and the precise amount of protein lost over this period is measured. For other urine constituents the sample is sent to the laboratory for analysis for bacteria and for microscopic examination. Normal urine, under the microscope, is clear but when there is inflammation anywhere in the urinary tract (in the kidneys or the bladder) cells are present, either red cells or white cells. More important is the presence of clumps of cells called 'casts'. These clumps - looking rather like a railway train of goods wagons - is indicative of kidney inflammation rather than bladder inflammation and is of vital importance in the diagnosis and assessment of the kidney in Lupus patients.
The glomerular filtration rate is a measure of the efficiency of kidneys in filtering blood to excrete metabolic products. Typically this is done by collecting a 24-hour urine sample for measurement of creatinine clearance. Impairment of renal function by lupus nephritis results in reduced levels of creatinine clearance. The 24-hour urine sample can also quantify protein loss.
Increased levels of urinary protein may also be due to:
Nephrotic syndrome, Microalbuminuria, Early signs of diabetic nephropathy, Renal tubular diseases including pyelonephritis , Fanconi syndrome , cystinosis, and Wilson's disease, Multiple myeloma
Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia, Some lymphomas.

TREATMENT:
When there is kidney inflammation, a combination of steroids and an immunosuppressive medicine is generally prescribed. For active or severe kidney disease, the most widely used immunosuppressive is cyclophosphamide given intermittently by injection. In the olden days cyclophosphamide was given as a tablet but this produced more side-effects. The intermittent injection comes in the form of a drip given into the vein, usually given weekly for three weeks then monthly for 3-12 months. Doses vary from clinic to clinic, but the more modern fashion has been to use lower doses than those previously used and this has the benefit of far less side-effects.
A milder and very widely used immunosuppressive is azathioprine given as tablet-form usually at a dose of about 2’mg/kg body weight. All immunosuppressives can affect the blood count and regular blood counts must be done on a regular basis. Other immunosuppressive drugs such as cyclosporin-A are increasingly used, but the two mainstays of treatment remain cyclophosphamide and azathioprine.

I hope that this information alleviates some of your fear of the unknown regarding Lupus & kidney disease. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

KatieW
10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey Purplepinkgirl,
Have no fear, they will get to the bottom of this. You'll be surprised at what they can determine after the 24hour Uranalysis. I went thru the same beginning steps. What triggered mine was frequent urination at night. So, they did the 24 hour thing, found I was losing tons of protein, then I was sent to a Nephrologist, got a biopsy and before I knew it I was getting Cytoxan thru an IV once a month for 6 months. They diagnosed me with Lupus Nephritis. I'm now on Cellcept which took over for the Cytoxan treatments and it's working wonders thus far. I get blood work done every month to make sure we're still on track. Be thankful they're catching it before it got any worse. I had no idea how much work the kidneys do for our body, but now I know to protect them like they were my own child. If you don't mind me asking,how is your blood pressure? Do you have any edema(swelling)? They might tell you that salt and possibly potassium are your enemies. Hopefully some of this helped.