PDA

View Full Version : shocks/ tingles

jaideni
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
All day lon I have been feeling like I am being shocked or something. Its kinda like the tingles you get when you are too cold and getting frost bite. Its all over my body. Feels like someone is playing stick jackie with a needle. Doesn't hurt but it is becoming very annoying and starting to worry me.

sits_inthe_corner
10-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Hugsss jaideni

If you can get in to see a doctor today ... you really should. Take a moment to right down a description of what is happening and then get yourself in to see a doctor.

That's an unusual symptom, but one that I have seen posted here by a few members and not that long ago.

You can look through the symptoms topics and probably find one. I believe Rob experianced something similar.

I'll take a peek and see if I can find one for you.

KathyW1958
10-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi Jaideni,
I am wondering if you are on Prednisone as Prednisone can do this to you. I had that happen to me years ago and the doctor had to lower the dosage drastically. I am just wondering is all. I think you need to get into the doctor as soon as possible about this problem.

Hugs,
Kathy

sits_inthe_corner
10-13-2008, 03:20 AM
:) Hugs rob

As usually you are alert and responsive ^5's dude, I was hoping you'd catch this. I have been searching for the other posts that mentioned this but was unable to find them.

:shock: I almost fell off my chair at the great memory comment :lol:

We have a running joke around here about memory. The favorit saying lately is "who's gonna forget who first" Kind of morbid, I know, but lately the only thing I can do is joke about it.

My head seems to be getting fuzzier and fuzzier.

Thanks for catching this.

Hugs jaideni

Hope you are feeling better today and get some answers soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and heart.

rob
10-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Hi Jaideni,

SITC is indeed right in her comment above, I do have these symptoms (good memory SITC). Tingling like you are experiencing can be caused by inflammation related to the central nervous system caused by Lupus.

In my case, this symptom is caused by nerve damage from Multiple Sclerosis, which I was diagnosed with about three months ago. I have both Lupus and MS. This, however, DOES NOT mean you have MS, and I don't want to add to your worries. Having overlapping MS and SLE is not very common.

I'd suggest you talk to your DR./Rheumo ASAP, if for no other reason but to put to rest your worries about this. Please let us know what you find out.

Rob

rob
10-13-2008, 03:38 AM
:) Hugs rob

As usually you are alert and responsive ^5's dude, I was hoping you'd catch this. I have been searching for the other posts that mentioned this but was unable to find them.

:shock: I almost fell off my chair at the great memory comment :lol:

We have a running joke around here about memory. The favorit saying lately is "who's gonna forget who first" Kind of morbid, I know, but lately the only thing I can do is joke about it.

My head seems to be getting fuzzier and fuzzier.

Thanks for catching this.

Hugs jaideni

Hope you are feeling better today and get some answers soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and heart.

Sometimes laughing is the best way to deal with things SITC! That's actually pretty funny! My joke, is that I tell people that I have a great memory, but it's hard to use because I keep forgetting I have it.

cheryl_v
10-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi Jaideni, I get that feeling in my arms and legs. The arms its from shoulder to finger tips. The legs its mainly upper back. Mentioned to docs, and of course said that could be the FMS (as they say that to everything lately :roll: ). Nothing more was ever said or done. It is quite annoying, drives me crazy. Specially when I try to pick things up, gets worse when I squeeze my hands. Thankfully its not constant, but still annoying :x .

Oh yeah, only take bp med and low-dose trazadone. No steroids.

hatlady
10-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Like cheryl_v, I occassionally get what I call "the arm twang" - what feels like an electric shock running down my arm - so sharp that it usually makes me curl my arm into myself, and it takes my breath for a few seconds. I've found it goes in spurts - I used to think it was from stress, mentioned it to both my rheumy and my primary. Both gave me the blank look.... the one I interpret as "OK, NOW what do I tell her..." Basically I was told don't worry about it.

But you're having much more significant issues than I've had, and YES, get in to your doc if you can!

jaideni
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I did notice it got worse while I was driving. at first I thought it was a reaction to seeing a huge spark come from my friends dryer last night because I have a weird fear of fire but it hasn't gona away and I have felt similar sensations just not as much as last nights. I have an appointment on the 16th I guess I'll just add it to my new list of symptoms I have been having. I am hoping its not CNS related but alot of the things that have been going the last few weeks seem to point in that direction. Again thanks you guys I will be sure to not write this one off as my imagination like I have done so many other issues because of 'the blank look' as someone else said.

sits_inthe_corner
10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Hugsss jaideni

How are you feeling today? If the symptoms are still there or if they get worse, please try to get in earlier to see a doctor.

Cdn Grl
10-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I haven't had it recently (to which I am eternally grateful) but off and on I have had the sensation of being struck by lightning/shocked with a cattle prod. It was my back-the pain was so intense/exquisite that it actually stopped me in my tracks. My back was so tight that I simply couldn't move. It was like a clenched fist. Eventually it would loosen, I could take a few steps and then Boom-it would strike again. My Rhemy sent me for tests-the xrays showed nothing and was soooo painful to have done. When I had a CT Scan, it showed that I had arthritis in the tissues between 2 of my discs and as they swelled they were popping the discs out. She called it "bulging/wandering" discs. Comes out of the blue. Right miserable!

jaideni
10-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Cdn That happened to me about 4 years ago while I was at work. I was put on so many meds and told to stay in bed so I had to quit work and school.
I went to the rheumy yesterday. Turns out I have Lupus!!!! LOL!! How many times ya gotta tell me that! They discussed the pain but did nothing about it. Just keep taking my meds, call or go to pcp if needed. Come back in January. Good luck with that lupus.
Well I hope its not too serious. I am going to o to pcp soon if it does not stop.

Jesse
10-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Jaideni, I have that same symptom which I call "sparkles." That's the best way I can describe the feeling that I get in my foot when I point my toe. I think it's related to either the CNS or PNS. I'll be interested to read what your doctor has to say about it. Mine didn't comment when I told him about it.

jaideni
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately, neither did mine. I told her about it and she asked a couple of questions but she did not mention what it could be or how I could stop it.

bntshep
10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi I am new to this and I also get that "shock" feeling and both of my drs say its my anxiety. I dont know why or what brings this on, but it sometimes shocks my head, and it feels like I am going to pass out. I am glad to know I am not the only one. this is such an annoying symptom along with the other ones I have. If you hear of anything please fill me in. :D

sits_inthe_corner
10-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi bntshep

I dont suffer from this myself, but a quite a few here do. I'm confused as to why doctors all seem to have the same reaction to this...oh it must be your nerves.

Well yes doc it's probably from you being on my very last nerve! They just don't listen.

I've heard lost of people complain about this....why do the always get the same stupid response? <<<you dont need to answe that :lol:

rob
10-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I had to laugh after I read your response Susan. The "Oh it must be your nerves" just hit my funny bone. I've been living with this electric shock and numbness sensation for awhile now. MS has eroded the myelin sheath on my nerves to the point where they touch, and not unlike two wires stripped of their insulation causing a spark, they short circuit when crossed. So, it actually is "My nerves".

Makes me think of the late comedian George Carlin. He's on his way home after a show, when he's pulled over for speeding. George knows he's busted and getting a ticket, so he tries to make light of the situation by joking around a bit with the officer. The officer gets kinda angry with these jokes, and he looks at George and says "What are you, a comedian or something?" George says with the straightest face he can muster, "Well officer actually I.........

Sometimes I just have to laugh I guess.

sits_inthe_corner
10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I loOOoove George Carlin, glad I had a chance to see him when he was in town here about two years ago....He was GREAT.

rob
10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I saw George Carlin in Bangor many years ago. He's my favorite comedian. You know, too many comedians overuse the various four letter words in their routines and it just comes across as vulgar, and boring. Not George though. He elevated the use of four letter words to an art form. His plays on words, and the facial expressions he had were absolutely hilarious.

I like the routine about cleaning out your refridgerator. "Have you ever found something in your fridge that you cannot identify? Could be meat, could be cake. I know, it's Meatcake!" Priceless. :lol:

jaideni
10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I am getting itches and pain in the same way that I feel the shocks does anyone else have this problem

sits_inthe_corner
10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi ya jaideni

My shines itch so bad it burns. The last couple of weeks have been horrid. I put it down to the onset of winter skin. Ick.

It's so bad I could scratch right through to the bone some days. Nothing seems to help.

Lately the skin on my upper thigh hurts. It is the skin that's sore, like it's been raked over but there's no mark, no redness ... it just hurts.

rob
10-28-2008, 03:49 AM
I get the same thing too Jaideni. It's like it comes from underneath my skin. Deep inside. It stings, feels like pins, and burns. And the pain ccan sometimes be so sharp it makes me wince. It happens on the fronts of my legs alot. Scratching the itch makes it worse. There is no rash at all, but of course it turns red after I scratch the heck out of it. I take a washcloth with cool water, and lay it over the area, and it helps. Not fun.

LadyDragonflyMT
10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Umm well duh! Cuz like your nerves FEEL for you? Anum, if yer like feelin' it, it is like probably cuz of nerves? The last time I heard something like that, my gramma asked my uncle how he felt. My great-grandfather answered: Why, with his hands, of course! No...really?

I have these sharp, niggly pains almost daily. Mostly my legs and toes, sometimes my face and neck. It feels like somebody thought it would be funny to suddenly stab me with a nice sharp needle and see if I jump. I usually DO jump.

I can't say what it is related to, but you are not alone. Yes, it is literally nerve pain. Nothing like a doctor to point out the obvious. I know this because I transcribe them. Like the one who always tells me that the patient is in for back pain because her back hurts. You don't say...