PDA

View Full Version : Mouth sores, hair loss, bad knees

sits_inthe_corner
10-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Hello FLARE my old friend

You've come to see me once again.

I feel like crap.

Has anyone ever tried that Rogaine stuff? My hairloss is to the point where I cant cover it up anymore.

I work in an office atmospher.

If there's something I can afford to do about it, I would like to try. Hair transplat is out of the question. But I was wondering about Rogaine.

Sigh

Saysusie
10-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi SITC :lol:
During my hair loss, my doctors would not allow me to use Rogaine. They kept telling me that the hair would grow back on its own (with the help of medication). It eventually did, but in the meantime, I was pretty much bald. At first, I tried a weave attached to what hair I did have. After the loss was too much for a weave, I went to wigs. I wore wigs for the good part of a year, until my hair had grown enough to wear it very short.
I hope that you are able to find something that works for your hair. What has your doctor suggested? I wish you the best :D

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
10-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks saysusie,

I'm not sure that mine will grow back. Over the past 6 yrs it's been getting thinner and thinner. I don't see any signs of regrowth.

Up till now I've been able to do "creative" hair styles, but now I'm beyond that.

My husband's as bald as all get out, at least he doesn't have to try to hide it.

I just don't know what to do any more. There's nothing really I can do but adjust to the "new" situation. Unfortunately I'm at the crappy stage of that.

I'm angry and frustrated...I hate feeling this way.

This is just one more disappointment in an ever growing list of disappointments.

I know it's a superfical appearnce thing, but damnit it's just one more thing to fuss over in the morning when I'm trying to get out the door for work.

I shrink in my chair at work ... waiting for someone to say something about my shiney pink scalp. :oops:

It's bad enough that I went gray at 23, but why oh why do I have to have a hello pink scalp. IF it was flesh toned it wouldn't show through the thin gray hair so badly.

But NO it's freaking PINK...grrrrrr.

Thanks for letting me throw a pitty party...want some cheese to go with my whine?

jaideni
10-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Alot of wigs these days have a very natural appearance and you can find some that look good and dont cost so much. I used to wear them all the time when I was younger never thinking that soo I would actually need them. I am guessing that your coworkers ill likely know its a wig since they have seen your hair get thinner, but I think it could help you feel better about your appearance and you'd have something to fuss over in the morning.I hope that you feel better about yourself soon no matter what you decide to do. I hate knowing that people like you who do so much to help others still have to go through things like this

sits_inthe_corner
10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
ty jaideni I just may try that.

The whole reason I'm here is the same as every one else. I need the support too and this site certainly provides that. :)

deester
10-11-2008, 01:56 PM
When my hair came out in 2004 i wore scarves. I was told i was very trendy. I have a bunch of them if you want a couple of them....

sits_inthe_corner
10-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Mostly what I want to do is just shave my head and say to heck with it :lol:

More and more I feel like I just do not belong in an office atmospher. Problem is, the only place where I do feel I belong I can no longer physically manage.

I miss working with special needs children....I just cant physically do it any more :(

This keeping up appearances stuff is really getting to me. I have to go out to an office party tonight with my husband....I really really do not want to go.

The only hats I have are base ball caps :lol:

Saysusie
10-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Give some of the wigs a try, as Jaideni suggested. Also, if you go to a salon, you will find that the sales people are so willing to style and cut that wig to your personal preference. Also, as Jaideni pointed out, many of them look so natural that you cannot tell they are not real hair.
My friend, who also suffers from several auto-immune disorders, also lost a large portion of her hair that has never grown back. She is a wig aficionado, she has so many wigs and it has become a joy to her (she compares it to buying shoes) to purchase different styles, lengths, colors, textures, etc. She always looks and feels beautiful (so she says). She did eventually shave her head and has the cutest peach fuzz that she also sports when the mood hits her.
You have a lot of options, really. Please do not limit yourself. I know that our crown often defines us, but in the true scheme of things, it is so little of what we truly are.
Regardless, we are here for you, to help you deal with this and get through it!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
10-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi SITC, sorry for your troubles. The scarf idea is a good one deester suggested. You can pick one out to match your outfit for the party. Yes they are the trendy new thing. Been wearing them for years when I don't feel like styling my hair.

My hairs been thinning bad too lately. Early graying runs in my family too. Got my first gray hair at 21. Not a full head, but I have lots of gray for someone turning only 35. My grandmother was completely gray by 20. I don't think I'll be dyeing it as much anymore. Lots of hair came out, so maybe time to quit and let the gray show.

Omega-3 is great for hair and skin. Different ways to get it. Eat fish, drink soy milk, tofu, dark green leafy veggies (I swear they have everything a body needs), supplements (fish oil or flaxseed oil). Hubby takes flaxseed oil supplements, recieding (sp?) hair line stopped and hairs filled back in. I drink soy milk, and my hairs filling in great. So are my nails, they seem to love the soy milk.

I hope you feel better soon. Everyone has such good ideas. May one help you.

sits_inthe_corner
10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all your responses and kindness.

I spent last night fussing with my hair and have come up with a style that I can get away with for a bit longer.

Right now my focus is on getting through a recent loss. When the dust settles I'll start exploring the the hair piece thing.

I know may of us on this board are going through or have been through hair loss.

This is the only place I have ever felt comfortable enough to openly talk about it.

Thank you all so much :)

Saysusie
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm glad you found a style that you feel will work for you for a bit longer. Prior to going to wigs, I used a colored spray on my thinning areas so that those areas were not so noticeable. I don't know if they still sell these sprays, but they worked for a while for me. Just another thought and/or suggestion.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
10-18-2008, 02:29 AM
:lol: Does the colour spray come in a mix of silver white and dull grey?

Saysusie
10-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I haven't used the sprays in years, but at the time, they were pretty much one color. They did have several shades of gray and I just used the one that was closest to my gray, but I suppose that you could mix and match them.
I did a bit of research for you and here is what I found:

* Top Coverage for Bald Spots - will not rub off of pillows etc. Comes in 4 colors. Average price $19.99

* Jerome Russels Hair Coloring Thickener for bald spots - effectively covers up light to medium bald spots. Remarkably effective also for fine and/or thinning hair as well as for touch up gray between coloringsHair Color Thickener comes in black, dark brown, medium brown, brown/blonde, silver gray, and jet black colors to match your hair color.
Average price = $12.95

* Mega Thick Hair Building Fibers - microscopic hair fibers build upon your existing hair to produce dramatic density, volume and total coverage. A gentle static charge makes these fibers adhere to the finest hair as if they were tiny magnets. MegaTHIK stays on through wind, rain, and even perspiration. Comes in black, dark brown, medium brown, light brown, and blonde. Average price = $59.95

* Nexgen Hair Building Fibers - This all-natural solution for both men and women will produce a safe and truly effective way to completely eliminate the appearance of baldness or thinning hair.
Average Price = $29.95

Good Luck :lol:
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
10-18-2008, 10:37 AM
SITC, I'm glad you found a hairstyle you can live with. I know others who've lost much of their hair. Hats, scarves, almost-shaved heads, shaved-heads....I've seen it all. There are so many options, and almost anything goes. A dear friend who lost her long, golden locks to chemotherapy shaved her head (I took pictures of her while it was being done) and she just kept it shaved until chemo was done. She wore dramatic earrings and funky clothes (well, she always wores those!) and sometimes hats. When her hair grew back, she never did grow it long again, as it was very thin. She wears it super short and spiky...very cute. SITC, you'll find the 'new you'....it's just another corner to turn. Hugs....

Jody

KathyW1958
10-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Sitc,
I had a problem with hair loss several times over the years and right before I got diagnosed it was at it's worst. I wore hats a lot and a lot of people commented on how nice they looked. I tried the wigs, but they made my head itch big time. I also wore scarves. Right now my hair is down to my waist again and I try not to think about hair loss and hope that it does not happen again any time soon. My hair is a lot thinner then it use to be, but that is ok with me. I hope that your hair will stop falling out and start comming back in.

Hugs,
Kathy

sits_inthe_corner
10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you all again for your insites and suggestions.

Saysusie once again you've come through. I'm going to have a look for those products.

I've been cutting my own hair at home for the past couple of months. I hate having to give detailed instructions on how to cut my hair. It always makes the stylest nervous and I always end up with a bad cut.

I know a few basics about cutting hair, it's tricky when it's your own head you're working on. So I always stop before I think just one more snip :lol: so far so good.

Saysusie
10-19-2008, 09:30 AM
SITC;
After my "almost completely bald" hair loss, my hair did grow back. However, it was not the same texture or grade of hair that I had lived with most of my life. My hair is now very fine and extremely curly!!!
Finding a stylist who knows how to cut and/or style curly hair has been the bane of my existence. First, you cannot cut my hair dry. I tell them this, but they do it anyway. My hair curls very tight when it is wet, which means that it is about 1/2 to 1 inch shorter. So, I end up looking like I have bald spots all over my head because there is not enough curl to cover my scalp.
It aggravates me to no end!
So, like you, I've taken to cutting my own hair. It is quite difficult (as you mentioned), but I know my hair, I know my scalp, I know my face. I have to go very slowly and cut in small increments. If I make a mistake, it's my mistake. So, I know exactly what you mean when you say that you cut your own hair. For me, it's like a matter of survival :lol:
I hope that you find a solution that works for you and that gives you back a sense of pride.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie