PDA

View Full Version : is this what i have to look forward to

jaideni
10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I just walked in my kitchen and noticed it was a little warm. I look at the oven and it is on. I dont cook much because I am too tired and dont feel like cooking nor eating. I think back and realize that its been on for atleast 48 hours. :oops: I thought getting confused in familiar neighborhoods and forgetting if I took my meds and tring to remember where I sent my daughter would be it but I have seemed to have forgotten my obssesive compulsion to check the ove every few minutes to make sure that I turned it off, also gone is my obssesion with making sure the door is locked, as I woke up one day in this horrible neighborhood and realized it had been unlocked all night. If its gonna get worse than this I just may need to live with some other responsibe adult

Oluwa
10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi Jackie..

That is a scary feeling. I don't know what you have to look forward to, as being more to come. I do it, forget, to lock doors, especially my car door. It used to be the the first step after I opened the door, before stepping out..now it isn't a part of my auto pilot thinking...

Forget conversations, forget how to spell...even forgot my husbands name...forgot what I did all day when I crawled into bed...

Cognitive behavioral changes are indeed apart of Lupus, but with varying degrees and find it worsening maybe you need to be evaluated by your doctor. Headaches recently? Loss of time, time lapses?

Medicine can play a roll, especially anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, prescribed narcotic pain relievers...lack of sleep...pain...alcohol, stress.

To help you remember things put a list by your front door, alarm clock, bathroom mirror, refrigerator..places you go to throughout the day...

You should see my refrigerator and my PC monitor and the walls around it. Stick'ems in yellow, green, blues and pink...

My refrigerator is filled with doctors business cards with appointments on them...a list of all appointments just in case....

It is sad our memory has been scaled down to a pad of paper....

People would tell me, they forget all the time..it happens. I would explain not to me, as I had almost a photographic memory. Now I don't sweat and worry about it...it happens. All I can do is find ways to help me to remember...

If I lose my train of thought, instead of getting frustrated..I just say something along the line as..oh, gee Lupus is at it again.

Loosing a obsession isn't all that bad, when it is so obsessive. I just have an obsession with cleanliness and germs. Just to the extreme while in a doctor's office I won't touch anything...and I'd rather go bathroom out in the woods than a public restroom, but I don't. And my kitchen gets a soapy bleach wipe down after cooking...and some other quirks...

You will find a way that will work for you...but do make an appointment to ensure yourself it isn't anything more than the Lupus fog, forgetfulness because of Lupus activity....a flare...Central Nervous System...CNS involvement...

Info...According to the ACR, in order for your doctor to assess whether there has been some nervous system involvement due to lupus - and also to exclude other causes of the neurological symptoms - a variety of tests are needed :

* Blood tests-can detect several bleeding problems such as inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain and also the presence of antibodies, especially the antiphospholipid antibody, that can lead to blood clotting.
* Spinal fluid analysis-can show distinctive changes in spinal fluid that point to various disorders.
* Computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-can obtain images of the brain that can reveal strokes, tumours, bleeding, and abscesses.
* Electroencephalogram (EEG) and electromyoneography (EMNG)- electrical studies that can detect bleeding or enlargement of the brain.

Keep looking for your wellness...
Hugs.
Love,
Oluwa

rob
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Oops!

I've done the same thing twice this week! I've also gone to brush my teeth and grabbed the Preparation H instead of the toothpaste. They are both useful products, but hardly interchangeable. Like you, I really got worried about the oven being left on. Here's what I did to fix it. I took a small cookie sheet and put a couple of plain crackers, like saltines on it. Anyway, I mounted a smoke detector directly above the oven on the wall. It's just a cheap stick-on model. Whenever I'm done using the oven, I turn the oven off, and put the sheet with a couple crackers back into the oven. If I didn't turn it off, those crackers put out just enough smoke to make the smoke detector go off, telling me to go turn off the oven. I keep the crackers in the pan right there in sight as i'm cooking, so I don't forget to put them in the oven when I'm done. I tried it out, and it works like a charm. Anyway, just an idea you might try. Now I need to devise a plan to keep from brushing my teeth with the prep h.

sits_inthe_corner
10-10-2008, 03:25 PM
:oops:

I went to turn on the oven last night to cook supper and ummm it was already on....from the night before when I cooked supper.

mnjodette
10-12-2008, 05:38 AM
That's a really good, idea Rob! I leave my oven on frequently - really dumb. I also forget to shut my garage door, and we live in the country so all manner of critters could get in there. (Once, a pine marten - small but mean little buggers...scared the &*%$ out of my hubby!)

It just occurred to me that I have an oven with a timer that will turn it on when I want and turn it off when I want. I rarely use it (not sure I remember how) but why not use it even when you're home? That way, it will shut itself off after a certain amount of time. Lot of newer ovens have that feature (and mine is 11 years old, so not-so new ones, too) so if you have one that does, it might be good to figure out how it works!

Jody

rob
10-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Jody,

The garage door is something I always forget too! Once, I went out to the garage in the morning after it was open all night, and there was a deer in there! Talk about a surprise. He just kind of looked at me, and walked away. I live in bear country, so I'm glad it was only a deer.

Cdn Grl
10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Wow, all this sounds so familiar!
I have had so many truly embarrassing experiences :oops:
I have gone to the bank machine and forgot my pin number.
Wasn't a particularly pleasant experience, I had a whole line-up of people behind me. I panicked and left without any money.
My number is so easy that I never wrote it down. I have since.
A couple of months ago, I was in Wal-mart and they asked me for my postal code (zip code). I couldn't remember it-I have lived in my house for 7 yrs!!! I was so embarrassed...but now my attitude has changed-I'll never see these people again. I can't beat myself up over it.
I have even found the sugar bowl in the refridgerator! Twice!!!!!!!!
I think that it happens to all of us, in some degree.
I am just so grateful that I am not alone in this.
*I too have left elements on the stove on. I have come back to the kitchen to find them red hot. Now I just try to "live in the moment" and concentrate on one thing at a time.

coltsfan
10-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Not as scary, but I sent my daughter to school today without any lunch money!! I remembered 45 minutes later. I felt like such a heel, Mondays are always lunch money days!
I have made a habit of leaving things out on the cupboard so that I will remember, but my husband comes along behind me and puts them in a drawer. He is only trying to help keep things picked up, but if I don't see it, I forget about it.
The man that invented Post-it notes must LOVE me. I stick them everywhere. My desk at work is usually covered. :wink:

sits_inthe_corner
10-13-2008, 06:19 PM
:lol: K I have to fess up...

I was so upset about leaving the stove on, that I didn't tell hubby about it, untill last night.

He ROARED! Then he explained that I didn't forget to turn the stove off the night befor.

He knew I was going to start cooking supper and decided to heat the stove up for me. He set it to the exact temp I had used the night before :lol: I was soooooo relieved.

I have been putting things in the freezer that belong in the cupboard. Starting things then forget what I'm doing and walk away from it.

So the whole stove thing had me scared.

Saysusie
10-14-2008, 05:49 AM
For a good laugh about "Brain Fog" & forgetfulness, search for topic "You know you have Lupus If..", there are some hilarious anecdotes about our Brain fog. This is a rather old topic, but still apropo nonetheless :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

DrinkofWtr
10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
It is a little unnerving. I forget to turn off the oven sometimes and forget where my keys are. Yesterday, for the life of me I couldn't remember where I put the salt shaker. Maybe that was a good thing, as I have high blood pressure.

There is always something to keep you hopping! :)