PDA

View Full Version : About my sister and her Lupus

KathyW1958
10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi all.
I am sad big time. I have a younger sister that has Lupus as do I. The problem is that she is seeing a horrible doctor that keeps telling her that she does not have Lupus. I mean my heavens she had a stroke almost 20 years ago at the age of 28 that nearly killed her and left her paralyzed on the left side. She has no use of her left arm or hand. Well anyway she is on disability and has to be on medicade. She is so upset and rightfully so. She said the doctor acts really snotty to her and then calls her Dr. Carlson whenever she tells him about the symptoms that she is having and that she was diagnosed with Lupus 22 years ago. She asks me what to do. Everytime she tries to get him to listen to her, he just flat out dismisses her big time. I told her that that doctor would only treat me like that one time and boy I would cuss him out big time right in front of all the other patients and staff. She tells me that she is afraid to go to the ER for anything, because this doctor yells at her and tells her that she is wasting the taxpayers money. I am so distressed and upset about this that it is not funny. I told her that I would not care what that fool says and if I needed to go to the ER, I would go. She also tells me that she cannot switch doctors, because she is on Medicade. I told her that I would bring her to Georgia and help her get an appartment and get her to see the doctor that I see, but she does not want to leave NC. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
Kathy

rob
10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Kathy,

That so-called Doctor should be reported to your state medical board. His actions, and attitude are completely unacceptable. I don't know if you read my horror story I posted here a few weeks back, but I ended up ripping my Rheumo a new one in front of the whole office staff and patients. I would not put up with a new rheumo suggesting that I do not have Lupus when I've been diagnosed and on full disability for five frigging years now.

I didn't put up with this Rheumo's BS, and your sister should not have to put up with crap like this either. Nobody should! This Dr. is being abusive to her, and the stress he is causing could very well send your sister into a flare, if she's not in one already. The Hippocratic Oath forbids a Dr. from doing any harm, but that is exactly what he is doing. He needs to be severely disciplined by whatever governing body handles that sort of thing in your state.

As for the legal issues and dealing with Medicaid, I'm not very knowlegable on those things, but Oluwa and Saysusie are. I'm sure they will help you with the info you and your sister need. I hope for both your sake's that you can get this problem solved ASAP. Please keep us updated as to how it goes. Tell your sister she's not alone with this problem.

Rob

KathyW1958
10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Rob,
I read your post and what happened to you. I don't blame you for cussing that fool out. I told my sister to cuss this medical disaster that calls himself a doctor out. She told me that she is afraid of him and that he might hit her if she did that. I told her that he would not dare to do that unless he wants to sit in jail big time. I need to find out how to contact the medical board in North Carolina and pen them a letter about what is happening with her. You see I live in South Georgia and she lives in North Carolina. I am just sick from the way this MD (Medical Disaster) jackass is treating her. She is not outspoken like I am. I did not use to be outspoken, but I finally got fed up with the quacks and started raising a ruccous until I got listened to. I am going to see what I can do about this situation with her.

I am the only one that my sister can talk to. She can not talk to her twin, because the twin sister is all about herself and she does not have Lupus and she acts like Lupus is no big deal, the idiot. I tried to talk to her once and she started acting all uppity etc and I just told her that when something goes terribly wrong with her health not to even call me about it or I will laugh at her and hang up on her. I have not talked to her since.

I hope that there is something that I can do to help my sister before it is to late.

Hugs,
Kathy

sits_inthe_corner
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Awww kathy

I feel you and your sister. I have an older sister with lupus. She's been through the mill, but I think she's had a pretty good time of it for the last couple of years, I hope it continues for her.

I know it's hard when you want to scoop them up and make sure everything is okay. Distance can be a real pain in the ass.

Keep up the emotional support and encourage her to find another doctor and to seek help when she needs it.

"Try" not to over stress yourself. That's not good for your own system. Hugs to ya.

mnjodette
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Kathy, that's just not to be tolerated! Your sister should report this guy (or you can on her behalf) without delay. It doesn't matter that she's on Medicaid. What he's doing is inexcuseable. Here's the NC Medical Board website. Click on "for the public" on the upper left and there's a spot about how to file complaints. Good luck! I hope he gets what's coming to him...... :mad:

http://www.ncmedboard.org/

Jody

KathyW1958
10-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi Jody,
Thank you so much for the website. I am going to check it out and then when I talk to her again, I will get this idiots name and address and things like that and I am going to report him big time. This whole situation has me so upset that it is adversely affecting my health in a very negative way. I just hate doctors that are like this. In my opinion they should not be practicing medicine at all. I will let you know what happens ok.

Hugs,
Kathy

coltsfan
10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey Kathy,
Was reading this post and was wondering how your sister is doing?
Was she ever able to find a doctor that will help her?
Did you report the horrible pain the butt that she saw before?

KathyW1958
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Robyn,
I did report the jerk, but as of yet nothing has come of it. My sister told me that there are no other doctors and Rheumatologist in her area that will accept Medicaid that are accepting new patients. She told me that she is stuck with this idiot. I told her that I would go right back up to NY then, because at least up there there are doctors that will see her, but she refuses to move back up to NY. I just don't know what else to do at this point.

Hugs,
Kathy

coltsfan
10-30-2008, 03:34 PM
You would think that there should be some kind of a website or something to help her locate a new doctor. She shouldn't have to move to get good health care. Does she live alone or does she have someone that can be an advocate for her that is close by?

rob
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm glad you reported him Kathy. I'm not glad that your sister is stuck with him though. I really do wish I lived in the area as I would be happy to go with your sis and do the talking for her to this jerk. He wouldn't be the first bully in this world that I've put in their place. I hope you and your sis can get this worked out once and for all. Keep us updated as to how it goes.

Rob

KathyW1958
10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Robyn,
My sister has a boyfriend in North Carolina that looks after her and she don't want to move away from him. We don't come from a real closeknit family by any means. The so called parents are dead and all of the children in the family are scattered all over the country. I told her to contact the Medicade department and report this doctor and demand a different doctor, preferrably a Rheumatologist and for what ever reason she just won't. I even offered to bring her down here to Georgia and she refulsed, because of the boyfriend. I just don't know what else can be done.

Hugs,
Kathy

coltsfan
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Kathy,
I will keep your sister in my prayers. You did what you could do, hopefully, the boyfriend will step up and convince her to get a better doctor.
Robyn

KathyW1958
11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Robyn,
I am praying very hard that her boyfriend will step up for her. I am just so upset by the whole situeation.

Hugs,
Kathy