PDA

View Full Version : Teeth?

deester
09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
My teeth have deteriorated(sp?) significantly over the past two years. No matter how often I brush them they just keep getting worse! Severe cavities in most of them now. I went to the dentist 6 months ago for severe pain to have one with an exposed nerve pulled and while he was very gentle two of my teeth just fell apart in the process. My dentist now refuses to touch my teeth unless A-we pull them all out which I can not afford and B-the doctors get my Lupus issues under control.

My question is this--are tooth problems and cavities even a Lupus issue or is something worse going on? Anyone have trouble with their teeth like me?

rob
09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi Deester,

My teeth have deteriorated too. Every couple of weeks a point on one of my molars breaks off while eating. Usually I chomp down on the broken piece before I know what's happened, breaking another tooth. Luckily my front teeth are fine, so I look OK. My teeth are sensitive, and it's really hard to eat without pain. I have a complete molar on the lower left missing now, and most of the others are chipped. Not fun. I brush and floss all the time, it makes no difference.

sits_inthe_corner
09-23-2008, 02:03 PM
I've lost most of two back molars....they now have caps on them.

I think your dentist is wacko though. What's it to him ... I'll tell ya what...IT'S WORK!

He should be happy your teeth require his services :P on him...he sounds like a QUACK.

Shop around girly and find a dentist how doesn't want to yank all your teeth out...gawd it that guy from the dark ages.

Hugs...shop around.... :)

jaideni
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Mine started falling apart when I was eleven. I was getting them fixed until my insurance was cancelled at eighteen. I have not been able to afford to have more than one pulled every few years. I am 26 and most of mine are gone I am hoping tht I can get more fixed in January with financial aid or go for dentures. One dentist told me it looked like something hereditart, another asked me if I did drugs. I never had. I know I throw up more than the average person(no eating disorder mom said started as soon as I was born) so thats a problem. Its really affects my life negatively and is depressing whenever I think about it. Hope you guys can get yours under controll before you look like me. Hope I get the chance to have a near perfect smile by the time my baby starts school. Good luck

cherie
09-24-2008, 05:38 AM
I am not sure why mine have come out mine have been breacking away for the last 3 years.
It started with just littel bits to half or full teeth on the 6 of september just gone i had a operation to remove 7 of the teeth what had fullen apart,i ended up with four stiches were they have cut my gums on side of my mouth i had 5 out the other side two.
My stiches have only just fallen out but my mouth is still very painfull hopefully no more will come out.

Faith
10-06-2008, 07:07 PM
It is common with Lupus and Fibro. Dentist rx'd a special toothpaste to alleviate losing teeth. It is called SF-5000 Plus by Cypress Pharmaceuticals. I hope this helps. Ask your dentist or primary for a rx. The catch is you use it before you go to bed and do not drink anything after brushing.

Take care,

Faith

cheryl_v
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I have bad teeth as well. I thought the steroids were making them weak and causing them to break. He said the steroids didn't, but in a round about way did. He said steroids increaase plague tremendously. Makes it difficult to keep off the teeth, so the plague starts weakening the teeth fast. Even with all my brushing, my front tooth broke off and others got holes in them. I keep trying though. Maybe I'll ask the dentist for that tooth paste Faith mentioned.

Thanks Faith for the info. My teeth have seem to gotten worse for the last year since dx. Lupus and FMS seem to cause so much, guess teeth shouldn't have been a surprise.

Faith
10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Cheryl_V,

I want to say thru mailorder for 3 tubes it's $9.00 and it lasts a while. Also, the dentist told me to get teeth cleaned every 4 months to remove plaque. It's billed to my regular insurance since it is related to Lupus/Fibro. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Faith 8)

deester
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
OO thanks for the info Faith, I am going to check it out once I get the other issues figured out!

cheryl_v
10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info Faith. I see the dentist tomorrow, so I'll talk to him about it :D .

rob
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info Faith. I'll try anything at this point. I endured 4 years of braces only to have my teeth crumble.

NoodleMom
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
My teeth are bad too. I have had lots of breaking teeth and cavities. Have not been to the dentist for about a year. Last time was for him to pull a tooth in the back. My molars either are chipped or broken to the gum. Yuck.

K

Gingerbread Kat
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
TONIGHT: I can't sleep because my gums and teeth hurt so bad. What a blessing to find this thread!

I just got a new dentist; young and so handsome, Oh my! :wink:

He likes me and wants to have a 'long term relationship' (fixing up my teeth)<--hee!

He wants to slowly (because of insurance limitations) gradually replace my bad ones with implants. Most of them are all crowns, by now, but my gums are receeding and the sjordens doesn't help. I use a flouride toothpast before bed and biotene during the day. I carry around a little eye drop medication bottle filled with Biotene mouthwash or Oaisis (sp?) and people wonder: "Why she is squirting eye-drops in her mouth?!"

Ladies just gota have some fun with this :silly:

Faith
10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I hope the toothpaste helps you all. It is worth a try. Just remember not to drink after brushing for 30 mins and get the 4 month cleanings billed to your regular insurance. The dentist also said to avoid "whiteners" as they will break down the enamel.

I am sorry Gingerbread Kat that you couldn't sleep last night; althugh I loved the cute byline of your dentist. You are blessed.

Take care,

Faith 8)

cheryl_v
10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey Kat. Got a cute dentist too? I have a dream boat for a dentist. So makes the visits worth it. Seen the dentist yesterday, hubby still picking on me. Told him he had cute nurses to see, so we're even :lol: . As my mum-in-law would say, we all get some eye candy when we go :lol: . Yes we're terrible, we both don't mind each other looking. As long as no touching of course, lol.